• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I am applying for a handgun permit and it says that I have to go to my Local Law enforcement Office to complete the application and pay a local fee. Can I go to any police dept. or do I have to go to the Indy police dept.?

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Welcome to INGO. To the best of my knowledge you have to go to your local law enforcement office. If you live in Indianapolis, that would be IMPD. If you live in Brownsburg, that would be the Brownsburg PD. Etc. If you live outside city limits, that would be the county sheriff.

If I'm wrong I'm sure others will correct me.

Rocket

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Whiteland
    jbombelli is correct. If you live in town or a city You would go to that corresponding PD. If you live in any INCORPORATED area of a town, you go to that PD. Otherwise you go see the county Sheriff. BUT who responds to 911 is not the best qualifier. In Whiteland if you call 911 at night it goes to Johnson County Sheriff dispatch first. then they get a hold of whoever is on call. So you could get both depending on the emergency, in theory. And Welcome to INGO

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thank for the responses. After further research, it appears ( unfortunately ) I must go to the city county bld down town (Hell) room E100.

John317

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Go in the morning and it shouldn't be too bad, just gotta go through the metal detectors and then to the east side of the first floor- When I did my lifetime I was in and out in 10 minutes by going at 8:30. If you haven't paid the state fee and done your L1 which you can schedule online and they have a location a couple blocks over to the west at the state police head quarters and then take care of the city portion.

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Did it all in one fell swoop. Went to L1 in the morn, the guy in front of my wife and I had waited for 2 hours, but for some reason they took us right in. We then went down town paid $6.00 to park went into the city county building and found room E100. We were told to to go the next room over where we filled out an information form and gave to a guy who entered it into a computer. We were then told to back to the first room and pay. Then we went behind the counter where we were finger printed again. I think it took about 20 mins. Those bureaucrats sure are dry not a single smile or any friendly talk just business. The guy at L1 was very unfriendly also, BUT its over and sometime before the end of the year we should have our license.
    Anyone filling out the online application should be careful not to submit until your sure the data is correct because you can not cancel it out. My wife selected 4 yr instead of lifetime and even completing a new application would not fix. After calling and waiting 1/2 hr. to talk to some one we were told we had to go to the State Police to get it cancelled and then do another application, so we decided to just live with it.

Top Bottom