• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I know that most people around here tend to sharpen their own blades, however I am in a position where I don't have the time, money, or skill to get into that right now. Also I don't want to ruin my knife practicing on it.

Is there anyone local to Indianapolis who will sharpen knives for a reasonable price? If there isn't anyone local would anyone suggest someone in the lower 48 that will sharpen knives mailed in to them?

I have a Lionsteel SR-1a if that matters. Any info would be helpful though.

*EDIT* Reading around Tyler34's name has come up again and again. Sent him a PM, but still looking for someone local if I can find it.

Last edited:

Userdenied

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I have now read through almost every post that seems even related to sharpening and it appears that no one offers such services around here other than the 'belt sander' people at the 1500.

So let me re-phrase my question then. If doing the work myself and learning the skill is the only way to go, and systems are easier picked up than free hand stones, should I get the Spyderco system or something else? I will mainly be sharpening D2 and S30v if that comes into play.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Sharpening systems are often a personal preference and most people end up going through a few different ones to find the one that they get the best results with. The spyder co is a great system and is still somewhat freehand as you still have to hold the knife at the correct angle. If you step up to some of the more advanced systems they will have blade clamps and have angle guides to keep everything straight. Even with these systems it will take practice to get amazing edges. Generally speaking S30V will be an easier steel to sharpen than the D2 but with time and practice you should be able to sharpen them up good. You should start off practicing on some cheap knives and get good at the system you choose before moving on to your better knives. Cheap knive can be picked up a goodwill for next to nothing and make good practice knives.

Top Bottom