Local TV weather radars... same emitter?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Those of you who are in the know... Do the local stations, 6, 8, 13, & 59 use the same radar site or do they have their own?

The reason I ask is the radar image just posted to the home pages of 13 and 59 are identical in the cut off line from snow to rain to sleet, only the color shades vary. Usually each channel will have very different echos during the same storm. 8 is usually the least sensitive and shows only major rain during storms while 13 shows the most wide spread of rain intensity.

Are they sharing a feed from NOAA and adding their own algorithms and colors or do they have their own separate radar devices?

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    In most cases, weather radar is taken from the National Weather Service radar sights throughout the country. Some 'wealthy' stations have their own weather radar stations.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Pretty much "done in one"

Not at all sure which of the Indy stations have their own WxRadar. Which ever station has the "Viper", as they call it, may very well have their own system.

I'd just as soon look at the NWS page for radar.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    There's a golf ball out by the airport for at least one of the stations. I don't know about the rest. NOAA is out that way as well. Unless there's a significant angular difference, doppler radar won't show much difference itself, but the data processing can make the maps look different.

NewsShooter

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Those of you who are in the know... Do the local stations, 6, 8, 13, & 59 use the same radar site or do they have their own?

The reason I ask is the radar image just posted to the home pages of 13 and 59 are identical in the cut off line from snow to rain to sleet, only the color shades vary. Usually each channel will have very different echos during the same storm. 8 is usually the least sensitive and shows only major rain during storms while 13 shows the most wide spread of rain intensity.

Are they sharing a feed from NOAA and adding their own algorithms and colors or do they have their own separate radar devices?

We [Channel 8, WISH-TV] have our own. It's in our parking lot at our station downtown.

We also use a large network of other radar sites to compile a larger view of the rest of Indiana/US.

The more significant thing is the type of computer monitoring that interprets the scientific data gathered by radar, measurements, etc.

bamchase

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Radars

WISH and WTHR have their own. WRTV I'm not sure about but pretty sure they don't. WXIN I know they don't have one. The radars that these stations own are expensive but very weak in comparison with NWS radars. For example WTHR is 9000 watts of power in comparison to NWS with maximum of 750,000 watts output and now with dual pol technology and larger antenna (higher gain). The software they use are the same on 8,13 and 59 with some tweaks made to them. They have the ability on the fly to change certain parameters to make it look slightly different. I hope this helps answer your question.

BE SURE TO CHECK OUT OUR WEBSITE AND FOLLOW US ON FACEOOK OR TWITTER! Home

Top Bottom