• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eachitandi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Plymouth
    I had to make a quick visit to the local unemployment office today. As I was about to walk through the door the "no guns" sign caught my eye. Correct me if I'm wrong, but seeing how that is a state office (public) and not on the states "gun free zone" list, is that sign not worth less than the paper it's printed on?
    Now...the office in question is part of a larger building with many businesses all on the same property, so I'm assuming the state is leasing the space, and there are no signs anywhere else on the property or any of the other store fronts. So I'm assuming it's the policy of that particular office and not the property owner...
    Am I missing something?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I would assume that would be like any other facility posting one of those signs, which means their only recourse is to ask you to leave, if they seen your gun and charge you with trespassing if you refuse :dunno:

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    I would assume that would be like any other facility posting one of those signs, which means their only recourse is to ask you to leave, if they seen your gun and charge you with trespassing if you refuse :dunno:

But this is a government office, wouldn't it be covered under the preemptive law act which stops lower government officials from attempting to subvert legally held rights passed by the state?

Anyone??

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I say go ahead and OC. When they ask you to leave, you can ask them if a political unit of the state of Indiana is prepared to write you a fat check for them violating their own laws....

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    But this is a government office, wouldn't it be covered under the preemptive law act which stops lower government officials from attempting to subvert legally held rights passed by the state?

Anyone??

Guns are not allowed in any of the Stae buildings in Indy. They screen you at the door. I would assume this plays out across the board.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I say go ahead and OC. When they ask you to leave, you can ask them if a political unit of the state of Indiana is prepared to write you a fat check for them violating their own laws....

Luck with that one. It will not end well for you if you do.
    I do not like it at all but it is the way of things. We are on the teetering point in this country with 2A rights. Not sure where this will end up. Obummer just put 6 to 9 million more Liberals on the voting roles last night. That was his agenda from the start.

eachitandi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Plymouth
    State offices are not covered under the firearms preemption law. Just local governments. So, State departments may make whatever rules they want.

Ok, then does the sign carry any weight of law (like a specific gun free zone enforced by state law) or is it the same as a private business that puts one of those signs in their window?

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I've OC'd into quite a few State offices....I have not had a single issue. Of course, I wasn't looking to make it an issue, I merely OC'd like I always do.

Funny how that when you OC and walk around normally like nothing is wrong, people don't scream and run away. Most of the ones that DO notice, you have a nice conversation with.

OC'd at the BMV
    OC'd at the Unemployment Office (they had a no firearms warning posted as well in Elkhart)
    OC'd at Potato Creek State Park
    OC'd at Brown County State Park

That's just what I remember off the top of my head. I'll continue to look for opportunities for new places to OC.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Which is stupid.
    Calling the "State" stupid is rather redundant, don't you think?

@TaunTaun
    State departments are free to make/enforce their own policies. They don't have the SAME policies. The DNR is notably pro-firearms. The BMV is silent on the issue. Unemployment offices seems to be against (enforcement not withstanding).

I recall one of our reps or senators looking to correct this oversight. I'll have to watch the next session.

Top Bottom