Lockback knives are stronger/safer my ass!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I always heard that linerlock knives are not very strong and safe and that lockback knives are way much stronger and safer to use.

I used a Spyderco Tenacious (linerlock) for years without any problem, the lock never failed me.

A few months ago I got some Buck knives (lockback), among them a Buck 285 BLW Bantam.

This one:

285BK.jpg

Mine is a newer model made in the USA, it says "USA" under where it says "BUCK" on the blade.

Anyway just some minutes ago I used the knife, holding it with my thumb on the back of the blade and my other fingers wrapped around the handle.
    The pression from my thumb alone made the blade close into my index finger.
    Big outch!!! :xmad:
    Almost cut my finger off!

I start bleeding, grab a tissue to stop (that usually enough to stop most of the cuts I got from knives) the bleeding but the cut is too deep and there is blood everywhere, I finally have to break into the closest first aid kit to wrap my finger with two gauze pads and a bunch of tape.

Anyway I am NOT HAPPY with this knife.
    I was happy to see it was made in the US at first but now im thinking the locking mechanism is just pure crap and is very unsafe. :noway:

I never had a knife close on me like that.

Is it a problem with the design of the knife or is it just a problem with this particular one I got? :dunno:

I used other lockback knives in the past and never had any problem.
    I didnt press the lock to unlock the blade and yet it closed on me.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    ouch!!!!! man, sorry to hear that and I hope your OK. I was just doing a search regarding this very thing (liner lock vs lock back) for my next purchase, and I think I found my answer.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    ouch!!!!! man, sorry to hear that and I hope your OK. I was just doing a search regarding this very thing (liner lock vs lock back) for my next purchase, and I think I found my answer.

Well I have a big roll of gauze wrapped about my index finger so I cant used this finger anymore as my trigger finger.

I looked at the knife again and I managed to close it without pushing the lockback again!
    I know it's not a very expensive knife, quite cheap actually but from a company like Buck and with a "made in USA" quality I dont know what to think.
    That is a very dangerous knife to used and even their cheap knives should be 100% safe.

Should I write to Buck and send them the knife? :dunno:
    I know their products have all a lifetime quarantee.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Should I write to Buck and send them the knife? :dunno:
    I know their products have all a lifetime quarantee.
    I would write or call them and see what they have to say. your right, even a cheap buck should be safe to use.
    you think you might need some stitching?

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    If a lock fails on you, you should always write the company.I've carried liner locks for the most part (picked up a frame lock 3 weeks ago) and have never had any issues.

I've always though lock back knives were strong, but I could see with the right (wrong) positioning something like this could happen. Either a pin isn't tight enough, or a spring doesn't have the strength it should. This shouldn't happen.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I think it might have been the way you were holding it. I've noticed that my grip often trips the lock-back. never had one close-up on me, but I"ve had them come unlocked. never had it happen with a liner-lock knife. I've had had a couple that wouldn't close, but I fixed that.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Generally, linerlocks will be stronger than lockbacks. Axis and frame locks are even stronger, but I think it has more to do with the quality of the knife (materials used and fitting tolerances) than with either design. If you need to do a job that requires enough force to overcome or make the locking mechanism fail, you should be using a fixed blade. Folding knives are nice to carry but in real world any mechanical design/device (lock) can fail.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I would write or call them and see what they have to say. your right, even a cheap buck should be safe to use.
    you think you might need some stitching?

Im not sure about the stiching yet.
    I will have to see tomorrow when I change the bandage around my finger.
    It's not a huge cut (maybe 1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch deep, not sure since it's wrapped now) but on a finger it's quite a lot I guess.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If a lock fails on you, you should always write the company.I've carried liner locks for the most part (picked up a frame lock 3 weeks ago) and have never had any issues.

I've always though lock back knives were strong, but I could see with the right (wrong) positioning something like this could happen. Either a pin isn't tight enough, or a spring doesn't have the strength it should. This shouldn't happen.

The problem is that im not sure if all their knives are like that and they would just tell me that there is nothing wrong with the knife OR if this one has a problem.

The handle is made of plastic without metal liners so maybe the whole mechanism can move a bit and let the blade close.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Generally, linerlocks will be stronger than lockbacks. Axis and frame locks are even stronger, but I think it has more to do with the quality of the knife (materials used and fitting tolerances) than with either design. If you need to do a job that requires enough force to overcome or make the locking mechanism fail, you should be using a fixed blade. Folding knives are nice to carry but in real world any mechanical design/device (lock) can fail.

I agree with that.
    I didnt try to take down a tree with it, I just cut cardboard and the blade closed just from the pressure of my thumb on the back of the blade.
    For me no knife, no matter how cheap it is or what kind of lock mechanism it has, should fail to something like that.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I think it might have been the way you were holding it. I've noticed that my grip often trips the lock-back. never had one close-up on me, but I"ve had them come unlocked. never had it happen with a liner-lock knife. I've had had a couple that wouldn't close, but I fixed that.

It probably had to do with the way I was holding it but for me it's still a mechanism faillure.
    Unless you hold the blade itself you shouldnt cut yourself.
    This knife was design to be held the way I held it, if the lock fails then something is wrong with either the design or the way this knife was built.
    I hope the company wont tell me the "you didnt hold it right" BS.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Some of you adviced me to write to the company.
    Im not sure how to do it, what to tell them and what could happen from that.

Should I send them an email or a regular letter (im outside the US at the moment)?
    Im not sure what to expect from that if I have to send them the knife.
    I dont want to spend the money to send a knife from Europe to the US if all they are going to do is tell me that the knife is fine and only their design sucks.

I wouldnt even think about writing them if it was not a company like Buck with a USA made knife and a lifetime warranty.

Here is what they say on their website:

"Behind every Buck knife is 100 years of experience and craftsmanship. We use the very best materials and state-of-the-art technology to create knives that meet the exacting demands you would expect of a high quality knife. And we stand behind every knife we make with our 4-Ever Warranty."

I know this is only a $25 knife but it should be as safe as their $300 knives.

I am not sure what to do, I never had to deal with something like that.
    It's not like them sending me a new knife will fix my index finger anyway and that's not like I cut it off (I should be fine in a few days if I dont need stiching) either so im not sure.

Charlie2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Mooresville.
    It probably had to do with the way I was holding it but for me it's still a mechanism faillure.
    Unless you hold the blade itself you shouldnt cut yourself.
    This knife was design to be held the way I held it, if the lock fails then something is wrong with either the design or the way this knife was built.
    I hope the company wont tell me the "you didnt hold it right" BS.

Have you ever use a folding knife without a lock..???

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    in all fairness, if you write them, I'd go more one the "you have a flawed design, just fyi" tone of voice rather than the "your flawed design cut my finger open, what are you gonna do about it?" tov.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Have you ever use a folding knife without a lock..???

in all fairness, if you write them, I'd go more one the "you have a flawed design, just fyi" tone of voice rather than the "your flawed design cut my finger open, what are you gonna do about it?" tov.

And send them the pictures of your finger, tell them that you almost lost it:D

Top Bottom