Lockback knives are stronger/safer my ass!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have been carrying a S&W lock back for 4 years daily. I use it for everything and have never tripped it and had it close on me. It also has a very stiff lock. I own several of their lock backs and have never had an issue either, I even tried to see if I could safely mimic this before posting, to no avail. It's also possible that since I have been carrying a lock back for so long that I am aware of hand positions that limit/avoid this. Call them, see if you can return it/have it looked at/fixed and worst case scenario get your money back. Any time I have ever dealt with them the Customer Service has been pretty good.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I am now 100% sure the knife didnt close because the way I was holding it.
    I used my both hands, one hand on the back of the handle (not touching the steel bar that activates the lockback on the spine of the handle) and the other hand pressing down on the back of the blade with my palm.
    It doesnt take much force and the knife closes all the time.
    It takes about the same amount of force to close this knife without touching the lock mechanism than it takes to close a swiss army knife (which has no locking mechanism, just a spring to keep the blade open).
    This is definitely a very weak and dangerous lock.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I carry a Buck lockback myself and I have had no issue with mine . I think yours just may be a faulty knife but all you have to do is call their customer service and they will take care of you.
    Just remember when you are dealing with a folder it is a called a FOLDER for a reason. You will always take that risk with a folder. A fixed blade will never fold up on you. :rockwoot: Hope your finger cut is not too deep.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    OUCH! As good as any particular lock mechanism might be, I don't trust them. I have a few folders, but I won't do anything more tough with any of them than cutting a bagel or cutting tape, and I don't put any fingers on the spine of the blade.

Every folding knife in the world is already broken.

As Knifelady says, a fixed blade will never fold up on you.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I am now 100% sure the knife didnt close because the way I was holding it.
    I used my both hands, one hand on the back of the handle (not touching the steel bar that activates the lockback on the spine of the handle) and the other hand pressing down on the back of the blade with my palm.
    It doesnt take much force and the knife closes all the time.
    It takes about the same amount of force to close this knife without touching the lock mechanism than it takes to close a swiss army knife (which has no locking mechanism, just a spring to keep the blade open).
    This is definitely a very weak and dangerous lock.[/quote

Just be glad that you didn't have your BUCK near any body parts, that doesn't have a bone:laugh:

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    sorry to hear that, but good to know to stay away from Buck Knives

Up until now, I'd only heard good things about them. maybe just stay away from this model or lock-back buck knives.

Just like anything you buy, there is always a possibility of getting a "lemon". I'm not sure if this is the case with this particular knife or the problem is inherited in the design of this particular model. :dunno: Buck has been around for a very long time and makes some very good knives. To make a blanket statement about all of their knives because of this one incident is ridiculous. :twocents:

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your finger. I have been called a fan boy of some more expensive brands and I do have my favorites, but I think you have a dud, If the lock is that faulty raise hell with the maker. I mean wow its a Buck that should be a better knife than than that.
    I do think that eventually everything made by the hand of man can and will fail and try to remember to allways use caution so thank you for the reminder. I have had my share of knicks and as long as no long term damage is done just chalk it up to education.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Well I have a big roll of gauze wrapped about my index finger so I cant used this finger anymore as my trigger finger.

I looked at the knife again and I managed to close it without pushing the lockback again!
    I know it's not a very expensive knife, quite cheap actually but from a company like Buck and with a "made in USA" quality I dont know what to think.
    That is a very dangerous knife to used and even their cheap knives should be 100% safe.

Should I write to Buck and send them the knife? :dunno:
    I know their products have all a lifetime quarantee.

Send it back to Buck and tell them to quit worring about selling knives to the cheapest twits in the country.

Then buy a good knife instead of the cheapest one you can find. I suggest the 110 folding hunter.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Generally, linerlocks will be stronger than lockbacks. Axis and frame locks are even stronger, but I think it has more to do with the quality of the knife (materials used and fitting tolerances) than with either design. If you need to do a job that requires enough force to overcome or make the locking mechanism fail, you should be using a fixed blade. Folding knives are nice to carry but in real world any mechanical design/device (lock) can fail.

More than anything else the operator has to recognise the tool for what it is, know what they are doing, and use it appropriately. 35 years in factories all over the country in machine shops and maintenance fixing equipment broken on the job and I can tell you there are people out there who could tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer and wind up in sick bay doing it. A tool is just a tool, cheap, expensive, or defective, it's still the operator who is stupid or incompetent to use it.

If a person's first instinct is to call a lawyer when they break a tool, they should stick to paper work or babysitting.

Last edited:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    tendons

Im not sure about the stiching yet.
    I will have to see tomorrow when I change the bandage around my finger.
    It's not a huge cut (maybe 1/2 inch long and 1/4 inch deep, not sure since it's wrapped now) but on a finger it's quite a lot I guess.

I'd go sooner rather than later on a cut that deep on a finger. You may have some tendon damage that'll take suturing to retain full function.

And what I want to know is what in the world were you using the knife for that caused you to put pressure on the back of the blade and close it on yourself? I've owned pocket knives for years that had no lock at all and managed through intelligent use to keep all my fingers intact. Now I've stuck a benchmade into my palm about an inch and a half but that wasn't the knife's fault. If you're pushing against the sharp part trying to cut something there is no way to close it on yourself.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I would, write them back enclose a picture and at the very leats get your money back

If I was dissatisfied with the knife I'd send them the knife, a picture of my finger and a note with my address, phone number and one sentence.

"If you need to know more than that to make it right, call me."

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Sounds like the lock is faulty, and I'm sure Buck will make it right with you if you give them a chance. Personally, I prefer a frame lock folder. The tighter you grip it, the tighter the lock gets. Liner and axis locks are usually great too.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    More than anything else the operator has to recognise the tool for what it is, know what they are doing, and use it appropriately. 35 years in factories all over the country in machine shops and maintenance fixing equipment broken on the job and I can tell you there are people out there who could tear up an anvil with a rubber hammer and wind up in sick bay doing it. A tool is just a tool, cheap, expensive, or defective, it's still the operator who is stupid or incompetent to use it.

If a person's first instinct is to call a lawyer when they break a tool, they should stick to paper work or babysitting.

Hahaha!

Top Bottom