• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    I've used Lock Doc several times in the past, but I have not used them for several years. The prices for replacement keys was very competitive, cheap actually. I don't know if they do fobs or not. Doesn't hurt to ask...Lock Doc 317-771-2689.

I've also seen a vendor for keys/fobs/etc. at the Greenwood Sam's Club. If you're a member of Sam's Club you may be able to get discounted fob/programming. I don't recall the name of the vendor, though.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They are not a Jeep dealership. That's why they sent me a check.
    This happened to me this summer. The dealer I bought the car from lost the key, they paid over $1000 for the second key. The process I was told 1. Car Present 2. Connects to manufacturer key dept via encrypted connection, dealer cannot see anything 3. Manufacturer cuts emergency key and programmed the fob. 4 fob overnighted to dealer. 5. Final dealer programming and testing.

If you lose all your keys they said you would have to tow the car in to their shop for this. It is the way security is going. Only going to get harder…

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    This happened to me this summer. The dealer I bought the car from lost the key, they paid over $1000 for the second key. The process I was told 1. Car Present 2. Connects to manufacturer key dept via encrypted connection, dealer cannot see anything 3. Manufacturer cuts emergency key and programmed the fob. 4 fob overnighted to dealer. 5. Final dealer programming and testing.

If you lose all your keys, they said you would have to tow the car in to their shop for this. It is the way security is going. Only going to get harder…
    With the way car thefts are for high end vehicles, I'm all for it...

OP, bite the bullet and have a Jeep dealer get you a key.

York in Brazil has been top notch from my recent experiences with them.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

If you lose all your keys they said you would have to tow the car in to their shop for this. It is the way security is going. Only going to get harder…
    Just for clarity sake, we are headed to a point where the only source for a key is the manufacturer. No dealer, locksmith, or ebay will be able to help you. What a joke it was when people calked the dealer with the VIN and they gave them a key.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Seems like a dealer would have the resources to get a new fob, and have it programmed, but that might just be me..
    In a large town, yes. But they were a VERY small dealership in a very small town, so I'm not sure. At one point they did ask me to bring the Jeep back and they may have intended to take it to a Jeep dealer for this. I told them I wasn't driving all that way for that and that they could make an arrangment with their closest Jeep dealership to work with mine. So that may have been too complicated for them. I just don't know. And I don't know where they got the figure of $218. I've left messages but they won't return my calls.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Car keys Express
    If you can talk to a used car dealer they can get a quote for you. I'm not sure if they take on private individuals vehicles.
    Here's a guys number from Indy. He travels to different areas every day.
    (317) 494-3139

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    In a large town, yes. But they were a VERY small dealership in a very small town, so I'm not sure. At one point they did ask me to bring the Jeep back and they may have intended to take it to a Jeep dealer for this. I told them I wasn't driving all that way for that and that they could make an arrangment with their closest Jeep dealership to work with mine. So that may have been too complicated for them. I just don't know. And I don't know where they got the figure of $218. I've left messages but they won't return my calls.
    Trust me they have the resources to send you and the car to the Jeep dealer and have it made/programmed. They chose not to, gave you a pittance that they knew would not actually get another key and washed their hands of it.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Years ago needed a key for a Lexus.
    Think we bought something off eBay, then met a programmer that worked out of an old van, at the station at 30th and Shadeland. That part I remember well.
    It felt just like you’d think it’d feel. But it worked.

I think we found the guy using a google search.
    Good luck, and agree that the ‘dealer’ is shortchanging you.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Trust me they have the resources to send you and the car to the Jeep dealer and have it made/programmed. They chose not to, gave you a pittance that they knew would not actually get another key and washed their hands of it.
    This. We bought our Chrysler minivan from a ford dealer. They were the closest shop to us and as part of the purchase deal we got a discount on labor. They frequently took it to their sister chrysler dealer to actually do the work.

And that van was easy to add a fob. If you had both factory fobs you could add one with some button/pedal presses and both fobs as I recall. But with only one it took the special tool.

We too only got one key from the dealer. :( After the wife locked her keys in the car twice, I had Bob's lock cut a new valet door key for me. And of course after doing that, she wised up and quit using the buttons on the door to lock the car. "you cant lock your keys in the car if you use the fob, dear. "

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    So some quick stories of keys from my years slinging parts in dealerships....

Lexus ES cars from the late 90's required a PCM change to add keys if you lost them. $1000. 1996-2004 Acura RL had a red key that came with the car. IT's sole purpose was to be used to program new keys. Lose your keys? Don't drive on the red key. IT would start once. When you cycled the key off the immobilizer and red key were done. Car had to be towed, immobilizer kit with new red key and master was $390 and took an hour of labor because it was buried in the steering column, so another $120 plus the $100 tow.

Top Bottom