• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Okra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Falling behind in my wood cutting, so I figured I can use a good log splitter.

Anyone have anything they can recommend? I need something that can handle some good sized cuts, and not break down in the first week or two.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Timberwolf TR-1. Had one for 5 years now and it splits wood faster than I can keep up with it.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Something made by Ariens. Durable, great motor, powerful, and will start in weather down to--and below--zero.

They also can split horizontally, or be very easily tilted up off the chassis to split vertically. Trust me: get a 20" long by 2-foot diameter round of locust, and you WILL split it vertically.

-Nate

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Have you considered renting? It's not expensive, and you are not buying something that sits there more than it's used. Pick it up, gas it, use it, return it. No maintenance or repairs.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The huskee splitters at tsc are solid for the money. I have the 22 ton. I haven't found a log it won't split yet. Just double check the bolts and lovejoy coupler connection since the tsc employees are the ones who assemble them in store. Or just get one in a crate and diy.

They are made by speeco for tsc and have good customer service.

Whatever you get, make sure it goes vertical and horizontal.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    Have you considered renting? It's not expensive, and you are not buying something that sits there more than it's used. Pick it up, gas it, use it, return it. No maintenance or repairs.

That's where I ended up. I looked at buying one but with the small amount of wood I burn I decided that renting when I needed one was the better option. I go cut wood and bring it back to the house and make a big pile, then go rent a splitter for a weekend and do all my splitting at one time. I think rental around here for a weekend is like $45 or $50.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I am a small engine mechanic. I usually recommend renting one as well. Same goes with tillers. They get used once a year for a short time. Not worth maintaince and upkeep or storage.

I buy wood when I need it. Those splitters are painfully slow and a back breaker.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN

This. Unless you plan on splitting a crap-ton of wood, renting is going to be cheaper and less frustrating in the long run.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Buy a used one or end of year clearance one. Bad time to buy now. I got a ariens about 4 years ago for $250 on Craigslist and it has been great. I also like the looks of the 32 ton at TSC. Looks very heavy duty. Mine is only a 27 ton.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    My thinking is that for certain things, wood being one of them, it is easier for me to earn the money to buy something rather than do it myself. Don't get me wrong, I have a saw, spare chains, bar, etc, I know how to fell a tree, trim and section it and split it. As a kid it was a one weekend a month requirement. But I don't own land that needs cleared or maintained, I don't heat with wood but it is nice to have a fire sometimes. So for the time it would take for me to find, cut, split and move the wood I would burn a year I just buy it, they deliver it, dump it into a big pile and I stack it. It is already seasoned and I am always a year ahead.

Time x Effort > Cost to buy.

Renting a splitter does seem to make sense.

Okra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Thanks for all the input. Rented a splitter for 4 hours yesterday - they let us pick it up at 4:30 pm and bring it back this morning at 8:30 am. Had the whole family out working nonstop until it was too dark to safely proceed - very impressed with the amount of wood we were able to split up!

Still left us with a huge backlog to split and stack, but I think renting one for a whole day would make a nice dent in it.

Landon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    Henryville
    If you can make a weekend work look into that option. When I rented one from Sunbelt I picked it up early in the morning on a Saturday and had to have it back first thing Monday morning. Since they are not open on Sunday they only charged me for 1 days rent and I got to use it for 2 days.

Last edited:

Okra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    I will have to look into that model. I like your storage set up - that's the next project. So far everything is stored on pallets bounded by iron fencing posts so I can stack. Wanted to put some sheet metal over the tops to keep the wet off, but still allow airflow.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Rent is best unless you want to cut and split year round. I have done 3-5 cords by myself in a day. Just have it cut and piled up in such a way you can move the splitter along the pile. Set up, split, move splitter. Get one you can set up vertically. You will be impressed by the amount you can split.

Maintaining hydraulics for something used once a year is not on my to do list. Since I own a BCS tractor I may buy one for it sometime, but not a priority.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    My dad went in with 4 others on a splitter. He and one other guy use it the most. (They burn year round) If you have folks you can trust, this might also be an option for you. Else, rent and try different ones so you can discover what you do / do not like and will know what to buy.

Force10

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2014
    Franklin County
    We use wood heat, supplemented only by occasional electric space heaters. I have used a Fiskers splitting Axe for all my wood (~6-7 cord) for the last 3 years. May not be a viable option for all, but I can keep pace with a hydraulic splitter on all but the knottiest pieces. And I'm no stud. Different perspective to consider.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom