• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    Wow, man that stinks! :( Some of these "media called BB guns" are rifles that are well over 1200 fps too...it could be a pellet rifle faster than a standard 22.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Six-year-old critically wounded by BB gun » Local News » Pharos-Tribune

Never to soon to teach kids that guns are not toys. Keep guns where kids can not get them. Even a BB gun can do major damage or even kill.

Spot on!

Part of parental responsibility is finding out whether the homes their children visit have guns, and, if so, how they are stored. That can be a sensitive subject to broach with a neighbor, but it sure beats having your child shot at a friend's home because of lax gun safety by those parents!

It really hurts to hear about the incident, and I feel so sorry for all involved. :(

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Spot on!

Part of parental responsibility is finding out whether the homes their children visit have guns, and, if so, how they are stored. That can be a sensitive subject to broach with a neighbor, but it sure beats having your child shot at a friend's home because of lax gun safety by those parents!

It really hurts to hear about the incident, and I feel so sorry for all involved. :(

I feel you are directing your anger at the wrong subject. No matter how tightly you keep anything locked up all it does is breed curiosity, not safety. Safety with Firearms and any tool actually comes through education. Only through education...

By the way I would probably tell you to go urinate up a rope if you asked how I store my tools. None of your business or concern.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I feel you are directing your anger at the wrong subject. No matter how tightly you keep anything locked up all it does is breed curiosity, not safety. Safety with Firearms and any tool actually comes through education. Only through education...

By the way I would probably tell you to go urinate up a rope if you asked how I store my tools. None of your business or concern.

WOW!!! The safety of someone's child is not their concern? Care to rethink this comment?

warmachine

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    WOW!!! The safety of someone's child is not their concern? Care to rethink this comment?
    Yeah Im with you there. If someone's child is in my care I wouldnt hesitate to explain to them the measures I take to keep their child and mine away from my guns. My daughter is being taught to respect how dangerous guns are but I dont know that her friends are or will be. And on the other side of the coin Id like to know what her friend's parents are doing to keep my daughter safe.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

It is my concern if my child is going to your house to visit or play with another child there. You have every right to tell me what ever you want, but I have every right to ask that question (and whether or not my child stays there).

Prayers said for the child and all concerned

Ziggy01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    I as a father would not be offended if another parent inquired about my guns being locked up. I'd be more concerned if they new I had firearms and they did not ask. I have an uncle with one eye do to a BB gun accident. Teach Safety,Safety,Safety and demonstrate Responsibility.

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I as a father would not be offended if another parent inquired about my guns being locked up. I'd be more concerned if they new I had firearms and they did not ask. I have an uncle with one eye do to a BB gun accident. Teach Safety,Safety,Safety and demonstrate Responsibility.

Exactly, I'm a "gun nut" just like the next guy, but I would feel better knowing the parents cared enough to ask. I had a father come buy and want to meet me and ask questions when I told my daughters friend he could come shooting with us when he got permission and I knew he had permission form his parent. Guess we all parent differently and it doesn't bother me when I'm asked about stuff like that.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Sad Story....but I find it hard to believe that a 3 year old can even cock a Daisy lever action BB gun. Let alone a powerful BB gun. I also don't believe a Daisy could do that kind of damage.
    It would have to be pretty powerful to cause that type of injury ...seems to me there is a lot more to this story.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Spot on!

+1

big :+1: Very sorry to hear about this story. Very unfortunate accident that should not have happened. I agree though, I love guns and my privacy but would have no problem explaining my safety to the parent of a child who is at my house. If my son is at someones house I want to know that he is safe. I dont need to know your collection and the combo to your safe but you better be honest and tell me if you have firearms and if they are safely stored.

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Sad Story....but I find it hard to believe that a 3 year old can even cock a Daisy lever action BB gun. Let alone a powerful BB gun. I also don't believe a Daisy could do that kind of damage.
    It would have to be pretty powerful to cause that type of injury ...seems to me there is a lot more to this story.

I was thinking the same thing...but it is possible. if it was stored cocked then the 3 year old could of shot it. now the big thin is the parents teaching the 6 year old brother about safety, most the people on here are talking about teaching the 3 year old safety and well my son is 3 and i've touched on the subject but he is just to young still to understand it. in a year or tow that might change but until then as a parent you have to be extra safe. the parents should of locked the BB gun up IMO if there's a 3 year old in the house no firearm even a BB gun should be left out.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Interesting thread.
    So far, precisely one of 12 people posting believes guns should not be secured from children and that parents of visiting children should be told to "urinate up a rope" if asking about firearms in the home. It has been very encouraging to read the responses to that one person.

Please keep all involved in the tragedy in thoughts and prayers.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Interesting thread.
    So far, precisely one of 12 people posting believes guns should not be secured from children and that parents of visiting children should be told to "urinate up a rope" if asking about firearms in the home. It has been very encouraging to read the responses to that one person.

Please keep all involved in the tragedy in thoughts and prayers.

You might want to re-read my statement...

No where did I say that weapons should not be secured, I did say that no matter how tightly they are secured you are not preventing a the problem, just delaying it...
    Education is the only way to prevent this type of incident from happening for sure.

And yes if you ask me if I have Firearms in my home and how they are stored I will not give you the answer you are looking for. I do not care if you allow your child to visit my home or not.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    You might want to re-read my statement...

No where did I say that weapons should not be secured, I did say that no matter how tightly they are secured you are not preventing a the problem, just delaying it...
    Education is the only way to prevent this type of incident from happening for sure.

And yes if you ask me if I have Firearms in my home and how they are stored I will not give you the answer you are looking for. I do not care if you allow your child to visit my home or not.

I agree with this is spirit, I know when I was barely in my teens I was not only shooting my dad's guns but was reloading the ammo I shot so I wouldn't get caught. Dad of course thought everything was secured but I got really good dismantling hinges and putting them back together. Trust me if you have a kid they probably know where you "hide" everything.

I also don't think where and how I store my firearms is any of your business however I would assure you they are behind 2 locked doors I control the only keys to. I would also never let a kid I didn't know free access to my house without supervision.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I teach Hunters ed usually the firearms segment. I use a BB gun as an example that guns no matter what are not toys. I hate to see headlines like this because it is a black eye to all of us. Education is the right way to go sometimes all it take is a few minutes to go out with a kid and take the curiosity out of it. Both my girl started shooting around 4 yrs old that is when they started getting curious about the guns. When they wanted to shoot all they had to do was ask. the 3 yr old should not have had access to the gun.
    I pray for all involved with this.

Top Bottom