• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I have really been contemplating building one of these using all Lone Wolf parts from the frame up.
    Has anyone here used these frames, parts kits, slides etc. Are they good quality? I'm familiar with their barrels and that's it.

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/PRODUCT/924069/lwd-twf/?PROD=924069
    Bare assembly

Frame parts

Slide

Slide parts

So thinking about building a Timberwolf pistol. Are they good to go?

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Never a problem with their barrels but had an experience with one of their frames probably 3 years ago and it wasn't a good experience. I would imagine they have glitches sorted out by now but I didn't care for the shape of the grip or the angle, of course that is personal preference. I've done more than my share of Glock builds if you have any issues or questions feel free to contact me.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Never a problem with their barrels but had an experience with one of their frames probably 3 years ago and it wasn't a good experience. I would imagine they have glitches sorted out by now but I didn't care for the shape of the grip or the angle, of course that is personal preference. I've done more than my share of Glock builds if you have any issues or questions feel free to contact me.
    Do they have good customer service? Or is that the reason for the bad experience?

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Dang it, I saw Timberwolf, and I thought the old pump action .357 rifle, I think, imported by IMI years ago.....

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I contemplated a build using a Timberwolf frame for a build, but then didn't care for the fit / feel / or angle of their grip as compared to the Glock OEM grip angle, which was more comfortable for me. A buddy has a couple of the Polymer 80 frame builds...he loves it and I like the grip fit / feel / angle a lot better! My favorite Glock grip is still the older Gen 2 frames...

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I contemplated a build using a Timberwolf frame for a build, but then didn't care for the fit / feel / or angle of their grip as compared to the Glock OEM grip angle, which was more comfortable for me. A buddy has a couple of the Polymer 80 frame builds...he loves it and I like the grip fit / feel / angle a lot better! My favorite Glock grip is still the older Gen 2 frames...
    I don't like the Glock grip angle, but I love the reliability. I'm wanting to build something that has a nome Glock grip angle yet have the same reliability. If that isn't possible I may not move forward with this project. The reliability is what I'm after NHT3 has answered a lot of my questions in PM, and the reliability of these aftermarket frames are in question right now.

This was going to be a project in my down time.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I don't like the Glock grip angle, but I love the reliability. I'm wanting to build something that has a non-Glock grip angle yet have the same reliability. If that isn't possible I may not move forward with this project. The reliability is what I'm after NHT3 has answered a lot of my questions in PM, and the reliability of these aftermarket frames are in question right now.
    This was going to be a project in my down time.
    Everyone's different...which makes it a good thing that there are so many options available to choose from!
    I didn't have an issue with the quality of the Timberwolf frame, it was just the grip angle that bothered me...but it sounds like they can be 'hit-or-miss' on their frame(s) having issues.

Question: Have you ever considered picking up a bare, OEM, Glock frame, and then sending it somewhere to have the heel slimmed down (i.e., 'reduced') thus, changing the angle of the backstrap, which would, then, change the overall grip angle where it fits/sits in the heel of your hand area, reducing the sharpness of it and giving it more of or closer to a 1911 angle?
    It costs a few $$ more, but you could get it done exactly as you want it?
    I have one into www.coldborecustom.com right now having a bob-tail installed on a G17 frame with the grip shortened or 'chopped' to a G19 length...so as to better fit in my smaller-sized grip! I wanted more of a 'rounded' bob-tail vs the traditional 'flat' bob-tail that he's always done. He'd been discussing doing a 'rounded' bob-tail and my initial email prompted him to call and we discussed it. He's willing to give it a 'go' and I'm willing to let him try! :)

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd like to have the G17 grip length but with a slide that has around a 3.5" barrel instead of the full length slide. Reason for that is my hand size needs a long grip to be comfortable, but a short barrel for carry ease. Weird combination, but I found I liked it when playing with a Taurus G2c and 18rd P226 mags with a mag sleeve. However, I didn't like the sleeve and would rather have a full length grip instead.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'd like to have the G17 grip length but with a slide that has around a 3.5" barrel instead of the full length slide. Reason for that is my hand size needs a long grip to be comfortable, but a short barrel for carry ease. Weird combination, but I found I liked it when playing with a Taurus G2c and 18rd P226 mags with a mag sleeve. However, I didn't like the sleeve and would rather have a full length grip instead.
    The Glock 45 9mm has a 4" slide / barrel and a full-sized grip / magazine....but I'm guessing you already know that and, as previous stated, dislike the Glock grip angle!
    Does anyone make a 1911 full-sized grip with an Officer's length slide / barrel or combination?
    Maybe check with Fusion Firearms...they can make custom pistols... Fusion Firearms | Home
    It's interesting, the differences between individuals and their personal preferences...
    You prefer a shorter barrel / slide with a longer grip...due to having larger hands.
    I prefer a longer barrel / slide with a shorter grip...due to having smaller hands.
    One size definitely does not fit all!
    Best of luck with all this!

Top Bottom