• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Does it make a difference which way you keep your long gun (AK-47 semi-auto in my case) stored in the safe? Either upright with the muzzle pointing up or downright with the muzzle pointing down?

Thanks

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    First I would ask what type of case are you storing the rifles in? I have a few Garands and M1As in the "socks" but I dont store them in the cases/ boxes etc...

And I store alot of my rifles muzzle down to get more in the safe.... scoped rifles, M1 types w/ charging handles on the sides and pistol griped rifles/ shotguns take up more room.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    The case is a hard plastic case that has foam inside of it. The long gun is just laid inside the case (no sock, no cloths, nothing else). I keep the case upright against the wall in a closet and the barrel of the gun is pointing downward in the case. When the long gun is in the safe I keep the barrel down as well with no sock/cloth/etc.

Should I put it in a sock? Should I point the barrel upright?
    The safe has enough room for my long gun so no worries about space issues.

motoman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 19, 2008
    Idaho
    it doesnt make a difference if its up or down in the safe. if its really oiled up the oil will run down to the bottom end of the rifle.

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    If it is the type of case with the grey egg crate foam stuff in it PLEASE do NOT store firearms in them unprotected(Sock) as they will retain moisture and after time will create issues for you.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Thanks Big John for the info. I think I'll make a stop @ Cabelas tomorrow and pick up a gun sock. I'm not too worried thought because it's only an AK-47

RCAF+01+%28PPP%29.jpg

and if the Somalian Pirates can use rusty AKs then I'm sure mine can take a beating. (Note those above are not pirates)

It's not as if I have some wimpy AR that if not kept super clean will fail. :D Sorry AR boys/girls just had to poke fun at you.

Now if it was this gun I think the fridge would be best!
    bacon_ak_47.jpg

Bacon AK-47!
    YUM YUM!!!

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    If it is an AK just go stick it in the nearest creek bed and retrieve it when you need it.

squarepeg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    Lake County
    If it is the type of case with the grey egg crate foam stuff in it PLEASE do NOT store firearms in them unprotected(Sock) as they will retain moisture and after time will create issues for you.
    Whats a sock going to do for you? How will that help protecting anything? I keep a pistol in an egg crate thing and also keep several packets of silica gell dessicant in there with it.

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    i love the AK and Glock that can take a beating and still will save your life, what better gun to have! i want a gun that can keep up with where i go and still do its job when we get there!

Big John

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Whats a sock going to do for you? How will that help protecting anything? I keep a pistol in an egg crate thing and also keep several packets of silica gell dessicant in there with it.

Most of the gunsocks are silicon impregnated so that helps displace moisture and keeps the metal parts lubricated.

A brand spanking new pistol or rifle case is fine but if it has ever been out to the range on a damp day forget it the foam will retain moisture and it WILL cause rust on your non-tupperware firearms.

I speak from experience on this my HD gun is a Mossy 500 that a friend of mine always stored in the case it was his duck gun. After several hours with OO steel wool and a cold blue kit a barrel and stock change I have a $200 HD gun that I bought for $25 because of a "egg-crate" case.

Top Bottom