• ...and so much more!
  • tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    So lemme get this straight;
    You took a $30 plastic flashlight that was never intended to be mounted on any firearm, mounted it on a 12 gauge shotgun, and wanna use THAT as an example of another manufacture's product superiority?
    Get. Frickin'. Real!
    What's next? Gonna tell me you left out the part where it was an incandescent bulb model and the filament was damaged when you dropped it?

I just checked. Streamlight doesn't even MAKE a PolyTac weapon mount. What were you using, tape and a scope ring?
    I've got tens of thousands of rounds of experience with TLR-1 AND TLR-2 WEAPONlights and years with Microstream, StylusPro, Strion & Stinger FLASHlights. Zero problems. ZERO. From any of them.

If you look at Surefire's website, they differentiate as well. There are a few Streamlight and Surefire FLASHlights that are designed to double as a weapon light. Just because some random light fits in a scope ring or other mount DOES NOT mean it was meant to be used on a firearm.

My experience with Streamlight is the switches go bad from daily use. I'm not doubting you've had good luck with yours, but I went through a Scorpion, Ultra Stinger, Stinger HP DS, Strion, and 2 TLR-1 's before I learned my lesson. In the case of the 2 Stingers, replacement switches didn't fix them and they had to be sent in for service. The Scorpion had the lense bust from getting too hot one night on the job, and one of the TLR-1 's had the lense rattle loose with very minimal use and no where near "tens of thousands" of rounds. It got to the point where I needed to carry more than light at work because I totally lost faith in their performance. To their credit, they always were willing to work with me and get them back running though. I tried carrying stuff from Maglight, Four Seven, 511, Olight, Fenix, WML, etc....., all held up as poorly or worse than Streamlight. Switched to Surefire, and haven't had any real issues. I've got a few that look like they have been to hell and back, and still function just as well as the day I bought them. I've heard good stuff about Elzetta and Lenslight, but Surefire will have to really do something major to make me switch at this point.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    . I've got a few that look like they have been to hell and back and still function just as well as the day I bought them. Surefire will have to really do something major to make me switch at this point.

I appreciate you sharing that. The funny thing is, my experience is exactly opposite yours. Now don't get me wrong here INGOers. Let me make this crystal clear. I really like Surefire products. Thing is, I've tried to get my Streamlights to malfunction. When I can upload pics I'll show you my Strion LED rechargeable that's 6 or 7 years old. I carry it every day. I use it every day. Still on the original battery, LED and everything. I've swapped out weapons lights for brighter models over the years. Never for a malfunction. Highest round count on my TLR-1 HL was around 5,000rd of 45acp. My TLR-1 HP was 6-7000rd of 7.62x39. My TLR-2 HL has seen at least 3,000rd of 45acp. That's just the last 3 models I've had in the past year or so. I won't bore you with the umpteen hundred lights getting used and abused by HighLine and distribution utility crews all over our great country. Many of them swear by Streamlight and GoLight.

Surefire weapons lights are expensive. Most people don't have that kind of money to spend and frankly don't NEED to. Streamlight is on par with their quality and reliability for professional use in my experience.

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Surefire weapons lights are expensive. Most people don't have that kind of money to spend and frankly don't NEED to. Streamlight is on par with their quality and reliability for professional use in my experience.

And yours is opposite of mine. I've seen a dozen TLR-1 lights go down over the past couple of years and I've seen one Surefire X300 break a battery contact. That said, Streamlight has been good to work with as far as repairs and I do not think they are junk but I also do not believe they are of the same quality as Surefire.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'll jump in here.

I've had a couple Surefire and they've been great until just recently. I'm having a switch issue with my hand held Z2 Combat. Maybe I should take it apart and clean the contacts. Pencil erasures are good for this type of job.

I have a TLR-1 HPL on my SBR and now that it's wearing a suppressor it bumps into the reflector & casts a big shadow. Just like FireBird above, I'm worried about zombies on the ceiling.

[edit] fixed my Surefire! There was some grease around an o-ring on the tail cap that had migrated onto the metal contact surfaces. Wiped off & cleaned using a pencil erasure & viola! she works!

Last edited:

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I really like surefire scout lights. I have one with a regular tailcap switch on my "go to" AR and one with a tape switch on my AR Pistol. I really like them and do not know what it would take to break one. In a pinch I prefer the push button tailcap switch over the tape switch because the line between the tape switch and the light is something that could get snagged and fail. Granted, I have not had that happen on the light with the tape switch, but I like to keep at least one rifle as bomb proof as possible.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The first lights I mounted on my ARs were Surefire G2 Nitrolons with the original incandescent lamp assembly they shared with the 6P. I broke several lamps and switched to drop-in LED modules that were a lot brighter and never broke. When I started exploring other brands like Fenix and Nitecore, Surefire had yet to market a light with an LED emitter that produced more than 120 lumens. By the time they started to catch-up with LED technology, I'd already moved to alternatives.

My rifles currently have Viking Tactics light mounts attached to the top rail of the handguard right behind the front sight tower, with the light on the left side. My house gun (the same I used for most training and 3-gun I used to do) has a Nitecore P12. The illumination and throw is . . . impressive. If I need to dial back the brightness, I can. My truck gun has a Fenix (I think it's a TK11 that used to ride on my belt before I moved to the PD series). Both lights are located as far forward as possible given the handguard length and position of the front sight tower.

The next upper will have rail in front of the front sight (whether a fixed tower or rail mounted) and the light will be mounted on top, in front of the front sight, and inline with the barrel. Whether that will be a Surefire X300 or one of the Streamlight TLR series, I don't yet know.

I won't attempt to refute the experiences of others with TLR series lights and I will acknowledge that considering quality of construction and durability, you can't beat Surefire. If you buy 1000 Surefires and 1000 of any other brand, you will have few problems with the Surefires. If that's your only consideration, then the decision makes itself. However, it's not the only issue. Performance (brightness & throw) also matter and only recently (last few years) has Surefire closed that gap in that regard. Like I said, when I started exploring viable alternatives, the brightness of the brightest Surefire was pathetic by comparison. I wanted more light than they could offer, regardless of the price, without going with an aftermarket drop-on module (which was obviously not Surefire anymore).

Given that, I've tried to break a TLR-1 and it survived. I discussed this at our recent low light class -- a couple of years ago (after reading about self-destructing TLRs) I mounted a TLR-1 on an orange Glock 17 replica. I then pounded the light on the metal edge of a very sturdy folding table for several minutes. I wailed on it enough to show marks on the housing of the light, but it still works just fine. That's a sample of 1 of, course, but it was a reassuring outcome. I don't use my TLR-1 lights as much as I do my handhelds, but I'm not worried that they are likely to fail when I need them. I'm similarly not concerned that my Fenix lights will fail, as each I own has been vetted by use (and sometimes abuse).

Last edited:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I used to recommend Inforce WML's. I have one on my duty rifle right now. It's a place holder until I get an Elzetta or Surefire. I had great luck with my Inforce until I managed to break it. I can't have my light breaking, I'm afraid of the dark....
    Stay FAR away from Inforce, the lights are junk! They break super easily. Surefire, Surefire, Surefire! There's your 3 lights. The 95x series are affordable on the secondary market, the X300's are super solid, but if you have the jingle, the Scout Series is the way to go!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I appreciate you sharing that. The funny thing is, my experience is exactly opposite yours. Now don't get me wrong here INGOers. Let me make this crystal clear. I really like Surefire products. Thing is, I've tried to get my Streamlights to malfunction. When I can upload pics I'll show you my Strion LED rechargeable that's 6 or 7 years old. I carry it every day. I use it every day. Still on the original battery, LED and everything. I've swapped out weapons lights for brighter models over the years. Never for a malfunction. Highest round count on my TLR-1 HL was around 5,000rd of 45acp. My TLR-1 HP was 6-7000rd of 7.62x39. My TLR-2 HL has seen at least 3,000rd of 45acp. That's just the last 3 models I've had in the past year or so. I won't bore you with the umpteen hundred lights getting used and abused by HighLine and distribution utility crews all over our great country. Many of them swear by Streamlight and GoLight.

I will match that with my original LASER PRODUCTS 6P before there was Surefire! It's even been mounted via hose clamps to weapons since the 90's! Streamlights are decent, but nowhere near the quality and strength of Surefire lights!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Should show which camp I'm In.

I also have two Titans, and two Titan Plus' on the way, and an XC1 in the mail! I likes me some SF!

Last edited:

lewisjt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99.1%
    113   1   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Hancock Co.
    I've had many streamlights over the past 6 years and have had 0 problems. 4 trl series, stinger, strion, protec hl, and 2 polytacs.

I've also had 2 surefires with 0 problems. X300 and fury.

I would say my streamlights have lived harder lives but I have confidence in both brands to work when needed.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    TLR-1 at the 12 O'Clock ahead of my front site. Been running it for 5 years without issue as well as several other guys from the agency. Some run a sure fire 300 as well... No issues.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I picked up a WML for my MPX despite some of the bad reviews cause some friends have them and like them, plus the price point was very nice, I like the profile, and the lightweight for a small pistol (future SBR) was nice. 200 lumen is perfect for what I need it for, but it doesn't clamp on super tight, I plan on trying the shim trick on it

Years ago I had a Surefire 6P mounted on one of my ARs but can't recall if I ever shot it that way, still have the light, KX4 bulb upgrade and it's GTG. But for a truck gun I'm probably going to get a G2X or something similar and run it with an offset mount. Versatile and can use it as a hand held light or if need be a weapon light.

I'll probably give Elzetta a try soon, really like the styling of them and they seem to get great reviews.

I don't run my stuff hard or super hard (besides running guns super dirty and hot) but I like to know I can count on a product be it either a firearm, optic, light, knife, spork, whichever because shat happens.

Plus I tend to drop stuff

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I picked up a WML for my MPX despite some of the bad reviews cause some friends have them and like them, plus the price point was very nice, I like the profile, and the lightweight for a small pistol (future SBR) was nice. 200 lumen is perfect for what I need it for, but it doesn't clamp on super tight, I plan on trying the shim trick on it

Years ago I had a Surefire 6P mounted on one of my ARs but can't recall if I ever shot it that way, still have the light, KX4 bulb upgrade and it's GTG. But for a truck gun I'm probably going to get a G2X or something similar and run it with an offset mount. Versatile and can use it as a hand held light or if need be a weapon light.

I'll probably give Elzetta a try soon, really like the styling of them and they seem to get great reviews.

I don't run my stuff hard or super hard (besides running guns super dirty and hot) but I like to know I can count on a product be it either a firearm, optic, light, knife, spork, whichever because shat happens.

Plus I tend to drop stuff
    obviously, I am biased, but I, personally have had zero luck with Insight, Streamlight, or any of the other "weapon lights", save Surefire. I think enough of them that I am a couple thousand deep! Dollars, not rubles! All the others, they are OK, but JUST ok. Some have had luck, some haven't. The .gov, and the .mostcities, use SF for a real reason, it's NOT the lowest bidder for the contract, but it works! Grain of salt, ymmv, and all the other disclaimers!

Top Bottom