• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    You know I've always wanted a BAR, as one of my Grandfathers was a BAR man in WWII (fortunately it was in '45 when we had Germany on its heels, as BAR men didn't usually last long in combat). I'm not sure I want that gun though. It looks like someone tried to figure out just how much "tacti-cool-ness" they could try to cram on a rifle with otherwise very classic lines.

This fellow was sitting on the shelf just below the “modernized” BAR. Either way it was 30-06 goodness.

On a side note, the “modernized” BAR had very little in common with the original. The receiver was a highly modified BAR receiver that had all the “fat” removed and it took standard BAR magazines but that is where the similarities ended. The “modernized” BAR had totally redesigned gas system, buffer system, barrel, bolt, and mag release. It was several pounds lighter than the original and the rep stated that the recoil was more mild.
    IMG_8135.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    My maternal grandfather's first rifle. Winchester 1904 in .22S, L, and XL.

He bought it with egg money at a hardware store after walking into Terre Haute from the farm in 1922 at the age of 10.

Rounds could be purchased individually but only if the store owner knew your parents would he sell to kids.

Winchester+1904.jpg

Mike Grasso

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 5, 2014
    Westfield
    My maternal grandfather's first rifle. Winchester 1904 in .22S, L, and XL.

He bought it with egg money at a hardware store after walking into Terre Haute from the farm in 1922 at the age of 10.

Rounds could be purchased individually but only if the store owner knew your parents would he sell to kids.

Winchester+1904.jpg

Now that's some history.

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Hnnnnghhh the FAL looks great. Great pics as always, UziButton.

Happy with this PTR, just got the last couple pieces in within this last week and got it out to snap a couple pictures. I really like this rifle.

hxoYrna.jpg

f4GOrdF.jpg

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I made my annual visit to the CMP South Store the first of May. Although I did okay, the pickings were pretty slim. No Service Grade M1s, a dozen Field Grade HRAs, 8 Field Grade SAs(...7 when I left), a dozen HRA CMP Specials, a dozen .308 HRA CMP Specials, a dozen SA CMP Specials and lots and lots and lots of drill rifles. They're putting those nice walnut stocks on welded drill rifles and calling them a "presentation drill rifle". There were a hand full of NMs and an assortment of M1cs & M1ds. I didn't look too close at them.

It is sad...used to be you could spend all day picking a rifle or two. I was in and out in an hour and a half.

Picked out a six digit(June 1942) SA Field Grade and I took 200 loose HXP and a rusty ammo box with me.

As always the staff was courteous and helpful.

I'm embarrassed to admit, I was looking for a Field Grade rifle for a Shuff box fed conversion. I found a FG SA with a six-digit serial number for $525. After receiving and looking it over, I don't have the heart to have it altered.

The receiver dates to May of 1942. It has a SA 5-50 barrel(TE 3 / MW 4). It is in a nice dark walnut stock that has no cartouches or proof marks; but, is nice despite the occasional small gouge or rack mark. I'm not sure whether the metal finish is original or that dark repark job done by the Greeks. The parts are mostly SA with the exception of a WRA milled trigger guard.

Think about the potential history of this rifle. It could have seen 2 wars. Anyway, no delusions that it is not anything but the usual mix master; but, I've abandoned the idea of a box fed conversion.

SA-M1-May1942-01_zps3b707cf1.jpg

SA-M1-May1942-02_zps26872959.jpg

So, then I have a bit of a disappointing first session with the new Springfield. I ran 3 enboc clips of HXP M2 ball .30 ought six, all three times the clip ejected after 6 rounds. The good news ... It consistently made nice small groups.

I ordered an Orion 7 spring kit. The old clip latch spring is definitely suspect. It is a quarter inch shorter than the new one. The old main spring is also very worn. Most of the rest of her 'innerds' seem well worn; but, in spec.

I took the ole gal apart, cleaned her up, installed the new springs and reassembled her into her spiffy new laminate stock. The trigger guard won't close all the way. It seems I might need to remove some material from the area where the back of the trigger group seats into the stock.

I took the Boyds stock of of my other SA M1 and after a bit of comparison, it seems that the new stock wasn't allowing the floor plate to seat properly. I sanded the area at the back where the floor plate goes just a bit at a time until the trigger group locked in place. It didn't take much and it is still a very tight fit. This new Dupage laminate stock seems a bit over sized compared to the Boyds stock. But, it sure is pretty.

So, now for some pictures...here is the difference in the clip latch spring:
    SA-M1-May1942-03Springs_zps629bb32f.jpg

The old main spring was really, really worn. So the Orion 7 complete spring kit was a good call.

So here is the end result:
    SA-M1-May1942-04NewFurniture_zpsf756eaa3.jpg

I added a repro M1907 sling marked MILSCO 1942.
    SA-M1-May1942-05_zps04b0a3d2.jpg

And most importantly, it gets the Atum-Ra of Grace on High "meow of approval":
    SA-M1-May1942-06Ra_zpsd5c16c87.jpg

I've since run about 48 rounds through the rifle and I have had nary an issue. The rifle seems to shoot better groups that my other M1s. I'm very pleased.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Trips to the CMP are always fun! Never know what pieces of history you are holding and what those rifles have been through. I think every American family should own one as a tribute to the brave individuals that carried them in the name of freedom.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Hnnnnghhh the FAL looks great. Great pics as always, UziButton.

Happy with this PTR, just got the last couple pieces in within this last week and got it out to snap a couple pictures. I really like this rifle.

hxoYrna.jpg

f4GOrdF.jpg

Nice looking rifle, although I have to ask...what in the world are you doing on your roof with it? Hopefully your neighborhood isn't so rough that you are holding down your position...

Cannon762

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Gas City Area
    Nice looking rifle, although I have to ask...what in the world are you doing on your roof with it? Hopefully your neighborhood isn't so rough that you are holding down your position...

Haha, it's on my well house. We're all shooters out where I live though, so I don't think anybody would think too poorly if I was firing from my roof. :)

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    Did a little modifying and duracoating on my Scout/Squad. I fully planned to camo but after a test fit I liked the way it looked all basic black and evil that I decided to let it go.

Top Bottom