• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    Was wondering if you were to buy a gun or guns as investments what would you buy today? Rifle or shotgun? Caliber? Maker? What are the thoughts on investment guns?

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    My thoughts on guns as investments: they're collectibles. They will generally appreciate in value at a rate approximately equal to inflation. Some models will do better, and some will do worse, but it's really, really hard to accurately predict which makes/models will increase in value.

The only firearms that are sure to increase in value in the U.S. are full-auto weapons. Because the available supply for civilian ownership is a fixed, decreasing number and the demand is constantly growing, these will always go up in value.

But even those aren't generally as good of an investment as mutual funds or real estate.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Shot guns and 22 rifles.

Bad advice, IMO. That is way to broad, and in general is not going to be the case. I would go as far as to say that shotguns and 22s may hold their value well, but are less likely to increase in value. Of course something rare or unique will always do better.

If I had to pick a general catch all, I would say a nice lever gun. Still, it is a broad statement.

Dont buy anything that isnt a regularly traded commodity as an investment. It is to high risk with to low of a return.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    i would say old battle rifles. everyone used to say they could buy svt 40's for 300 bucks back in the 70's. now they are 800 to 1,000 bucks. same with mauser's and springfields and arisaka's. they used to be cheap but now there rediculous. if i were to invest in long guns thats what it would be in.

LuckyGunner

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    firearms

I don't think firearms are the best investment. If you are going to use firearms as an investment you will needs to accept that you can't fire them.

You'll want to find firearms that have a fixed supply, that is reasonably limited. Then hunt down a pristine version, and store it for years. The biggest concern is finding something that is rare but still wanted.

Using firearms as investments reminds me of car collecting. You have to find something desirable and then not use it, to maximize your return.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Using firearms as investments reminds me of car collecting. You have to find something desirable and then not use it, to maximize your return.
    http://www.luckygunner.com/

I like your car comparison, because just like cars, guns will barely keep with inflation, if they even manage to at all. And of course there is that little issue that some things that will increase in value just have to much of an entry cost, and again dont increase in value enough to justify it.

Someone mentioned machine guns, which is very true. If we face another ban on ANYTHING, that would be a good investment. Look at the price of pre-ban AR15s. Now that the ban has expired they are back down, but for a while there people were paying $1200-$1500 for a rifle that cost $600 before the ban.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    i would say old battle rifles. everyone used to say they could buy svt 40's for 300 bucks back in the 70's. now they are 800 to 1,000 bucks. same with mauser's and springfields and arisaka's. they used to be cheap but now there rediculous. if i were to invest in long guns thats what it would be in.

going along with the above, the best investments would be the guns that are limited in production (as far as new guns go), and the ones that are becoming increasingly rare, which is what is happening with many old battle rifles. special edition guns and anything outside of standard production are the best bets.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Firearms are lousy investments unless you are buying for your great grandchildren. Occasionally there are exceptions, I made a bundle after FOPA of 86 but counting on something like that to pass to increase the value of you guns is truly a longshot. Sometimes you can guess right without knowing it like buying a Semmerling when they were first introduced but how do you know what will succeed and what won't? And of the ones that don't only one in 100 becomes a collector's item.

Generally you are better off in a solid mutual fund.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    Great bunch of comments. I like the different opinions.

I heard mutual funds and real estate mentioned several times. I own both and if you look closely I believe you will find tha the last 10 years have not been kind to either. Adjusted for inflation your investment is likely flat. I've personally lost all faith in investments including mutual funds and stocks and do not intend any further purchases in this area. I've had classic cars and yes they are a lousy investment. I've been an antique dealer off & on for a number of years and have watched certain categories do well and most others do terrible.

My 82 year old dad has always told me that regardless how bad things are, you can always sell 4 things: alcohol, tobacco, gold and guns. Given the fact that I have zero faith in the currency or financial future of this flat broke country, I am looking for somewhere else to invest.

Great input by all. Thanks.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Might look back the past couple of decades... Thru many times of rumors, elections, and an actual 10 yr ban, I'm not sure ammo ( select common calibers) or hi cap mags wouldn't be a better investment then the gun itself....

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Some firearms are reasonable investments. Many are pot luck as to whether they go up in value or not. One thing for sure is that if you desperately need money, firearms will always be able to get you something. (yes that can be read two ways)

While most of the "run of the mill" hunting rifles and shot guns will retain most of their value, some of the military weapons will go up in price. When I got my SVD I hated paying $1000 for what I called a large Kalashnikov. Now look at what it's worth. Same with most Norinco and Poly Tech rifles. When I started collecting they were selling for around $250 or less. Today you are lucky to find a MAK-90 for under $500.

Like anything, it is luck as to whether your firearm will suddenly become the one everybody wants, but one thing is for sure, if this country does break down into civil unrest, and US dollars aren't worth the paper they are printed on, your firearms can still feed you.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

I remember picking up a Mauser for $45 about 10-12 years ago. Saw one similar condition at a show for close to $200. If I would've been thinking back then I would've bought all of them, would've been about 12 or so of them.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Galveston
    I would look to late 1800's/early 1900's "western" firearms. They tend to be steady and as more "cowboy shooters" customize them the original survivor count dwindles. Plus they look really cool hanging on a wall!

As has been stated, it's nearly impossible to say "buy that one, it'll pay off". Some of my world war firearms have doubled in value in 15 years, while others are up maybe 25%. If you want to diversify your investments, start buying gold after it gets back under $600/oz.

Ammo is a very good investment. My brother-in-law bought up several boxes of 9mm of Black Talon for $20 or less about 10 years ago, and a box of 357 for around $30. I sold every box for at least $50, and got $90 out of the 357.

treeman22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Indy North
    C&R battle rifles have done really well the past few years, especially the Swiss K31. It was a work of art, and at $79 a few years ago, it was a no-brainer. I envy those who bought 10 at a time.

Basically idea is to look for quality rifles being unloaded at cheap prices from the importers. The M24/47 mausers were being unloaded cheap a few years ago, along with the ammo. Now the prices are way up.

I would also say CMP rifles like the M1 garand, but the bad economy has put a damper on the prices. I honestly think the CMP is a little overpriced for the first time ever.

Top Bottom