• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oneshotonekill

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    Over by the lake.
    Take what you'd spend on the gun and buy gold if you want a good investment. If you want a long gun for sure, by the ones nobody wants to sell...I.E. old winchesters, M1 Garand, Parker Bros shotgun if you can find a deal. That's my .02. Good luck

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Was wondering if you were to buy a gun or guns as investments what would you buy today? Rifle or shotgun? Caliber? Maker? What are the thoughts on investment guns?

Given the things going on in the world, I would say guns are a good investment, but mostly in terms of storing wealth. At this time, they are more likely to be worth more in value 10 years from now than a 10 year bank CD, but it would depend on many factors.

If I had extra money for storing guns, my rule would be to keep it simple. I would only buy firearms that are popular, and in a caliber that is also popular and easy to use. Also, there are two reasons for storing guns:
    #1: You think they are safer than keeping your money in a bank, or just US cash.
    #2: A collapse of the world as we know it, and you want something that can be traded for food or other items.

For #1:

Handguns--
    --Automatics:
    I would only look at 9mm and .40S&W.
    I would choose Glocks first. The G23 and G19 with basic sights (no night sights, as by the time you go to trade/sell in the future, they might be very dim and you would lose money). Right now, I would say there could be an issue between 3rd and 4th generation. 4th generation would be a risk as it may end up being a dud with only a few fans. That being said, I would try to get the newest generation of Glock magazines so that you could sell/trade them to folks with older or newer style Glocks.

For a second choice, I would be looking at XDm, Beretta 92, and S&W M&P. I wasn't very happy with my Taurus knock-off, so I would stick with a Beretta for a 92/96 style gun. I would get only handguns with a built in light attachment rail. As much as I like the HK USP Compact, I wouldn't suggest those unless you can get them for a similar price as the above. The P2000 would be a better gun, because some models have a built-in rail for a light, however they haven't been around that long, and they seem to cost a lot of money. The only downside with the Beretta 92/96 is that it is a full-size gun, which may turn some potential buyers away.

Rifle--
    Two categories: .22lr and defense/big game rifles
    --Bolt-action rifles: Again, keep it simple and cheap. I would say Savage bolt action rifles in .223 and .308 for defense/big game. For .22lr, the CZ-425 (I think that is the number) used to be very reasonably priced and had good reviews.

--Semi-auto rifles: I would say 5.56, 7.62x39, and .308. Obviously the AR pattern rifle would be decent. I would spend the extra here for one with a removable carry handle, as that would mean more prospective buyers down the road. If you can get decent AK clones, then those would be a cheaper investment. With .308, you are mostly looking at FAL and G3 style rifles. Both have issues (metric vs. inch, knock-offs with problems). Not sure I would deal with .308 semi-autos, anything decent is way too pricey for me. For a .22LR semi-auto, the Ruger 10/22 wins hands down.

Shotguns--
    Again, common calibers: .410, 12 ga. would be my choices.
    I would stick with just pump action shotguns. Semi-autos are too costly for me, and if I needed a semi-auto with some knock down power, I would rather have a .308 rifle instead. So here I would say stick with Mossberg and Remington.

Now, for #2, the end of the world, where you just want something to be able to trade for other items, I would go as cheap as possible for reliable surplus. Back in the day, CZ-52 pistols would have been easier to buy. They were around $110 with two mags. While limited to only seven rounds, it still would make a decent self-defense weapon. Ammo was cheap back then as well, so you could have stored thousands of rounds to sell as well with little upfront investment.

For rifles in this group, I would say that Yugo SKS rifles would be something to look at. They were selling some very nice rifles for cheap about five or so years ago.

Everyone should know that there is some sort of law about buying guns and reselling them for a profit. A member here years ago posted about a visit from the ATF. Seems he sold a personal handgun to an individual for a very good deal. That person then turned right around and flipped it. The ATF was investigating the re-seller because there is some fine line when it comes to selling firearms. Yes, you can sell to private individuals, but there is something about deriving income from your private selling that may push you into a retail operation, or something similar, to which an FFL is needed.

Another thing, if newer models come out, that can hurt the value of your "old" guns. Look at the various Glock models and how the first generations are usually going for a lot less than the second and third generation.

I would say guns are good as a store of wealth, but as a way to make money, I wouldn't suggest it. There might be federal law issues and even if you win in court, how much is a defense attorney going to cost you? So yea, if you find you only have an extra $500/year to put into an IRA, but you think the government is going to confiscate those accounts in the future, might be better buying a handgun one year, shotgun the next year, etc.

I would also add that if you want to make money with guns, store higher capacity magazines. The prices went up a little with the Obama factor. I should have purchased Glock mags at Jenkins for $17.00 each, last I checked, they were now $22.00 each. If you can find high cap, newer generation Glock mags for under $20 each, I would recommend buying those over any firearms. There is usually no law barring one from selling them, more and more liberal, anti-gun cities are banning them, but most have an opt out clause about magazines made prior to the ban, etc. etc.. Sure AR rifles went from $800 to $1,500 during the ban, which is almost a doubling of your money, but Glock mags went from say $20 to $110 at the height of the ban, a 5.5x gain!!!!!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Firearms are lousy investments unless you are buying for your great grandchildren. Occasionally there are exceptions, I made a bundle after FOPA of 86 but counting on something like that to pass to increase the value of you guns is truly a longshot. Sometimes you can guess right without knowing it like buying a Semmerling when they were first introduced but how do you know what will succeed and what won't? And of the ones that don't only one in 100 becomes a collector's item.

Generally you are better off in a solid mutual fund.

My exact feelings on that! Guns are only good if you have full auto stuff, REALLY oddball guns (unfired of course) or want to pass on a gun to grandchildren.

I think the most heartening thing I ever did was sell a guy a Browning Silver Hunter for his farm. The gun was immaculate and absolutely beautiful. He saved and saved to get it and fully intended to pass it down to his kids. I felt honored to not only handle such a fine weapon (cost roughly what I do in one month, but it showed in it's wood, lockwork and finish), but to be able to help with the purchase of an heirloom grade weapon, not just another cheapy chinese side by side scatter stick as others were gobbling up for their farms. My heart actually sang on the ride home that night! :)

Guns are to be shot, not just "invested in". Waiting for the next "ban scare" to cash in just feels weird, not necessarily wrong, but seems to have a counterproductive feel for our cause of ending firearms bans and furthering the cause of self defense and hunting. :twocents:

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I do exactly the opposite of indy317.

I get the ones that are in the oddball rounds and they don't make a ton of. the more rare the better, the more odd ball the better. I don;t purchase anything with a plastic stock. Give me walnut or if in stainless a laminate.

I would never buy a glock as an investment arm. Far to many in the LEO arena alone to justify the purchase. you can get the surplus ones cheap if you want one.

Ar-15's nope. No profit in them. once again to many around and many shot lots in quick session at the range.

I will admit i own a glock and an ar-15 and a aks. I don;t think of them as investment arms for the grandkids. I think in the future grandfathered guns will be held in high esteem if they are a quality guns as you never know who or what might happen n the future/

Right now I would invest in grandpa's shotguns that were hand fitted. Anything hand fitted, but the shotguns seem to be available now at good prices.

Then again I have always been a little strange.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    m16s, thompsons and other NFA items

The problem here is I don't like buying expensive guns that were made expensive by the passage of a law, (Regan full auto ban of 1986). Laws can change, (Assault Weapons Ban of 1994), and when they do prices can plummet. I remember when I took my CCW class back in the mid 90's I had a guy in my class who showed up with a Glock 17 and 4, 17 round Hi-Cap magazines he paid $110.00 each for. I told him he was nuts to pay as much for magazine as he did for the gun. He promptly told me "They won't be getting any cheaper, if you can find them at all!"

I wonder how he feels now? Before the recent Glock magazine price hike I bought 20 Hi-Cap Glock 21 magazines for $13.99 each from Natchez Shooting Supply. Even at today's prices they are a long way from $110.00 each. Full auto weapons could have the same turnabout. Do I think you'll be able to buy machine guns at Ace Hardware in the near future? No, of course not.

But if someone ever told me in the early 70's that in the new millennium over 40 states would have passed laws allowing citizens to carry concealed, I would have said they were nuts. Here we are. People are solidly rejecting liberalism. Hussein has had his 15 minutes and most people are disgusted by it. All of it. We've seen the results this past election. It would not surprise me if this trend continues. If it does paying $16,000.00 for a select fire M-16 that is worth $1,600.00 may become a thing of the past. People will pay $3,000.00 for a 50 yard line Super Bowl Ticket with $300.00 stamped on it 10 minutes before game time, because once the game is played it is history. A well kept firearm has a bit more longevity than that. Bill T.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom