• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Most of us don't practice full distance except at 'matches', which are still just practice.

I recommend you get thee to CAJMTC as soon as possible to figure out that our matches are only 1-on-1, despite tens of guys on the line.

Even the Nationals are practice, although I guess I treat all the matches at Atterbury as practice for THAT week.

Agree 100% with Nate. I started shooting across the course and prone matches last year. I had a bit of a background, but was still effectively brand new. After the first match, you get the swing of things and the only regret you'll have is not starting years earlier. Just get out and try it....what's the worst that could happen?

My first time shooting past 400 yards was in a match. I had done a little homework and was on paper on my first shot. I could have not done any homework, and guys there would have had me on paper pretty easily. Electronic targets make getting dialed in almost too easy.

As far as F-class goes, there are some beginner level shooters with essentially hunting rifles, and then there are a handful of members that are some of the best in the country/world in their respective game. Both have more fun than should be allowed at a match. For across the course (service rifle/match rifle), there's a couple of high-master level shooters that regularly come to monthly matches, several master and expert level shooters, and a few beginners. I've not seen anyone (2nd match shooters nor national champion-level shooters) be anything but helpful to new folks at any time, in any match, at any distance.

There are a couple of options for a guy with an AR looking to stretch it's legs at Atterbury.

One is at a mid-range "prone" match. NRA came out with a "mid-range AR tactical" class last year....it's basically just an AR with a max 12 power scope shooting mag-length ammo at a normal prone target (1 MOA X-ring, 2 MOA 10 ring, etc). All shots will be from prone, using a bi-pod or front rest and a rear bag if you want. This is shot at 300, 500, and 600 yards. 20 rounds in 20 minutes. You get sighters at each yard line before your shots-for-record.

The other option is unique to CIHPRS/Atterbury this year, and designed specifically to get more people out with their AR's and expose them to this kind of shooting. It's shot alongside those shooting "Across the Course" (standing, sitting, prone), but instead shot all prone and using smaller targets. 200 yards slow fire (20 rounds in 20 minutes), 200 yards rapid fire (2 strings of 10 shots in 60 seconds per string), 300 yards rapid fire (2 strings of 10 shots in 70 seconds per string), and slow fire at 600 yards (20 rounds in 20 minutes). I don't recall what the target sizes are exactly, but they are smaller than the regular prone targets. You'll get 2 sighters at each yard line.

Bring a few boxes of Federal Gold Medal Match (77 or 69 gr Sierra Matchkings) if shooting factory ammo, or bring handloads using SMK's or similar, and from a 200 yard zero, come up 3.5 MOA to get to 300 yards, 10 MOA to get to 500 yards, and 14.5 MOA to get to 600 yards. Add 1-1.5 MOA to all those if you're starting with a 100 yard zero. Maybe a touch more at 600 if you're using 69's. You'll be on paper elevation-wise. You've got a +/- 6 MOA at 300, and you're still in the scoring rings. The electronic targets will register way outside of that. Ask someone if the wind is blowing more than 15 MPH for a SWAG wind-call at the time. Otherwise, just send one and adjust accordingly. It's not rocket surgery to get on paper.

Pick a wind flag and watch only that flag. Bring a notebook to record your data and make notes of what you see and learn as far as elevation and wind....especially the frickin' wind.

If not for being out of the country for work until later this year, I'd offer to show you the ropes myself at a match. A shooting caddy, if you will. Just go anyway, enjoy, and learn. It's fun. It's addicting. It's inexpe.....well...it's not as expensive as some hobbies.

Tsssst

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    South Bend
    Thanks Nat and Jrh. I wondered how it all worked and I'm more-or-less introverted so just showing up blind and buddying up to people is tough. Late last year I bought a Savage 10 FCP-SR .308 that I just got a scope for. It's my first bolt gun. Until the mention of Central High Power I didn't even know there was any opportunity to take a crack at those distances around here "publically." Not that I'd be hitting at any distance until I start to figure things out...

Last edited:

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Thanks Nat and Jrh. I wondered how it all worked and I'm more-or-less introverted so just showing up blind and buddying up to people is tough. Late last year I bought a Savage 10 FCP-SR .308 that I just got a scope for. It's my first bolt gun. Until the mention of Central High Power I didn't even know there was any opportunity to take a crack at those distances around here "publically." Not that I'd be hitting at any distance until I start to figure things out...
    Don't shortchange yourself or a Savage Model 10. My first match at Atterbury was a midrange F class with a model 10 and Federal Gold Medal Match .308. Shot a 191/200 (middle of the pack for that relay) after a handful of sighters. Just go...I'll bet you a Coke that you won't regret it.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Id stick with the .223 as others have said. The heavier grain 70gr bullets are more than capable to get hits on steel at 700+ yds. Would i hunt with that caliber that far? Probably not. However if you are using it just for target shooting, its more than acceptable.

If you need something with more velocity, the .224 valkyrie is a neat cartridge, and honestly factory ammo is not bad at all. The match grade .224V is about the same price as match grade .223 and itll be supersonic longer.

good luck

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Just go 50BMG -
    Quit farting with FuFu rounds.

AXd1Gou.jpg

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Bass and bucks in Wabash as about an hour from Noblesville and i have been told you can stretch out to a thousand yards for fifteen bucks/day, but i haven't been there myself.

Usmccookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 28, 2017
    nwi
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]Any suggestions for optics? I feel like my vx-r 3-9x 40 is good but it limits the fine tuning ability at 200 + yards. [/FONT]

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Any suggestions for optics? I feel like my vx-r 3-9x 40 is good but it limits the fine tuning ability at 200 + yards.

You might be better off finding a scope you like with a finer crosshair than the VXR scopes use.

I have a 2-7x33mm ballistic firedot scope and while it's nice, that reticle is extremely heavy and makes precise shots very very difficult. Magnification is unnecessary at 200-300 yards, just a crisp and precise sight picture is all you need. So find something with a much finer crosshair in it and you'll be good to go.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    You might be better off finding a scope you like with a finer crosshair than the VXR scopes use.

I have a 2-7x33mm ballistic firedot scope and while it's nice, that reticle is extremely heavy and makes precise shots very very difficult. Magnification is unnecessary at 200-300 yards, just a crisp and precise sight picture is all you need. So find something with a much finer crosshair in it and you'll be good to go.

Tombs, I was just getting ready to order that scope for a 6.5 Grendel hunting AR. When you say “precise shots” are difficult, do you mean like sub MOA shots? It’s a hunting rifle, so a 6” group at 300 yards is fine by me, but if you think that’s unrealistic for that scope, I might need to keep shopping.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Any suggestions for optics? I feel like my vx-r 3-9x 40 is good but it limits the fine tuning ability at 200 + yards.

I'll give my $0.02 since you specifically asked....
    I personally like a bit more magnification than a 3-9X gives for target shooting. For a hunting setup, personally, anything requiring more than 9X is going to require more ballistic horsepower than I'll be using at the time. Prairie dogs or other varmints are the exception to that. Most of my hunting is 200 yards max, though, with the last few years my shots coming from about 15-20 yards.

I'm not at all a glass snob, but I will say I'd much prefer reasonably clear glass that doesn't darken as you crank on it vs. more magnification. I can see/hit more precisely with a bright crystal clear sight picture at 9X than a dark fuzzy one at 16X.

My personal preference is Vortex....I have several Crossfire II's in 3-9x40 and 4-12x40, a couple of Viper PST/HSLR's. I've got them on my hunting, plinking, and competition rifles. I also have an Athlon Argos 6-24. It's OK, but it's just not quite up to par with the Vortex. Definitely a valid option though. I've heard good things about their nicer models, but have no firsthand experience with them.

If you're wanting to get a decent scope that can be dialed up and down, have decent glass, and not spend a ton of money, there's the Vortex Diamondback Tactical or Strike Eagle, but for $250-500 depending on the exact flavor. There's the Viper HST in the upper end of that price range. There's a lot of good solid scopes in the $200-500 range nowadays.

Leupold is showing hints of starting to get with the times, but are still several years behind a lot of manufacturers as far as I can tell. There's just better options out there for the same money, in my opinion.

Top Bottom