• ...and so much more!
  • JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Looking for idea and experiences on getting a better BC bullet to shoot in an Encore for Indiana Deer hunting. As long as would expand on White Tail some type of Spire/Spitzer/Pointy bullet would be fine.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Lets be honest here - does it really need to expand? You're punching a .50 caliber hole in an animal that has been hunted with recurve bows, spears, rocks, and .22's.

I expect that Hornady will have an FTX available in .50 cal as soon as there are repeating-action rifles sold on a large\larger scale.

Until then, you're stuck with what's out there.

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I know your question was for the 500 S&W; however, there are better options, more economical, more pleasant to shoot, which equals more practice time at the ranges you want to shoot.

I would highly suggest you consider the .357 Maximum. Its a deer hammer ! I shoot a 185 grain flat nose gas checked cast lead bullet with outstanding performance.

Which leads me here. I would suggest you contact the people at Beartooth Bullets. www.BeartoothBullets.Com. 1-208-437-1865. I use them exclusively for my cast bullets. He will be able to give you all the info you need. He made a believer out of me !

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I have used both the 300 FTX and the 325 Barnes. My preference is for the Barnes, but I've never had a deer go more than a step after being shot with either bullet. The Hornadys are alot more economical to shoot. I've used H110 and Lil gun with each bullets and get 2300 FPS +- depending on the charge.

Using the 300 Gr FTX or 325 Gr Barnes, I believe the 500 will deliver much more energy at 200 or 300 yds than any other deer legal, non-wildcat cartridge.

mike trible

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    In my Encore rifle in 500 S&W I use the Hornady 300gr Leverevolution factory load, it averages 2280fps taken at 10 ft. It will shoot 2" groups at 100yds. Most of time the deer fall where they stood. I need to keep my shots in the ribcage though, if you hit the shoulder bone it ruins a lot of meat.

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Thanks for the ideas. Also consider other option, but has to be better than the 500 SW by some to even consider the cost of changing (custom barrel, dies and brass tends to run close to a grand, with any type scope is over).

Currently in use is the Barnes 325 gr (one for the muzzle loader but need to check).

Appreciate measured Encore velocity of loads, maybe we can put together a few ballistic print outs later.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Obtaining what most would consider "long-range" ballistics from a 35-caliber rifle is difficult enough. To do so with a 500 S&W, to hunt a li'l ol' deer, is just not realistic. What you CAN do is dramatically increase the range and power you'd get from a slug gun or muzzle-loader. You're basically shooting the same bullets from all three, but getting more velocity from the 500S&W rifle barrel. That additional velocity comes with recoil and still doesn't get you much more than about 250 yards, or so.

Neck a 460S&W down to .358" or get yourself a 358WSM 1.8". Yes, both are wildcats and cost more money, but ask yourself this question: Would you CHOOSE a 35 or 50 caliber rifle to deer hunt with, if Indiana did away with the dumb regulations? NO! You'd go with a 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, or 30 caliber, tops. We all know those work great, AND they're no more dangerous than a factory 460S&W load, but these are the restrictions we have to hunt with. So, go with the smallest caliber you can (35) and, if you're so-inclined, the highest velocity you can get.

Look at it this way: If you drove a 500 S&W as hard as you can, it would have maybe 50 yards more effective range than a 35 Remington, before trajectory became a serious concern. In other words, 200 yards is easy, with numerous different cartridges that don't cost an arm and a leg, AND won't dislocate your shoulder. To me, that extra 50 yards of range just isn't worth the brutal recoil required to get there.

If Indiana ever does away with all of this silliness and lets us hunt with regular ol' rifle cartridges, I think I'll go all the way in the other direction and hunt with the smallest legal option. Placing a well-constructed bullet where it needs to go has always been more important than "power" or "range". IMHO. :)

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    The friends 500 SW already exists and does not cost $750 to start up, plus another scope. So it becomes a base line.

Different thread for long range rifles, Indiana style :-)

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Hornady 300gr FTX has a BC of .200. Barnes has a 325gr and 375gr with BC's of .228 and .261.

http://www.hornady.com/assets/files/ftx_load_data/500_sw_magnum_ftx.pdf

Even if it doesn't expand it's not going to matter much. But I'm betting you'll get some expansion.

Out of a rifle I'd use one of those. I can't say I'd want to shoot 500gr bullets of a rifle; that would hurt.

Interesting bullet but no higher BC than the Barnes muzzle loading 325 gr ... just you get an extra 100 to 200 fps from lighter weight, maybe.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I've run a ballistic calculator and the FTX doesn't have a trajectory advantage over the 325gr Barnes, even with a bit more velocity.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    The loads I mentioned above were with a Speer Gold Dot in 325gr. Those are not going to be very tolerable in a rifle either. Been there, done that. My load was a maximum with Lil' Gun, one of the slowest powders out there for the caliber. Now, if you were to experiment with some of the faster rifle powders too, you may improve your velocity and take the recoil down to more of a push than a punch.

I made some loads for plinking that turned out pretty well. I used a green Hornady sabot loaded with a 44cal 250gr Keith bullet that I cast, with a full load of Trail Boss. It was pretty accurate out of the Topper but I never tried to push them hard. It can be done. Case in point:

click here: SABOT

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I have shot two deer this year using a rainier 350 gr HP bullet. I used titegroup about 14gr,(which my gun loves) and went through one side and out the other...I think the stated combo is rated at like 1400 fps, but NO recoil at all. Granted I would not shoot this load past a hundred yards, but both my deer were around 75 yards and no problems at all.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    I have shot two deer this year using a rainier 350 gr HP bullet. I used titegroup about 14gr,(which my gun loves) and went through one side and out the other...I think the stated combo is rated at like 1400 fps, but NO recoil at all. Granted I would not shoot this load past a hundred yards, but both my deer were around 75 yards and no problems at all.

No offense, but at 75 yards, does it really matter? My daughter took her first deer 3 years ago at ~80 yards with an old Model '92 in 44/40. If your shots will be less than 100 yards, anything from the 357 Magnum carbine on up will do just fine. Shot placement is still everything, even in this discussion. :)

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I have a friend that says he shot one with a 500S&W Handi and it went down, got up and ran off. No blood to trail either! Now, I wasn't there so, this is just hearsay so......Don't shoot the messenger! ;)

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    I have a friend that says he shot one with a 500S&W Handi and it went down, got up and ran off. No blood to trail either! Now, I wasn't there so, this is just hearsay so......Don't shoot the messenger! ;)
    My first instinct is to say he gut shot it. But I wasn't there either....:dunno:

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    No offense, but at 75 yards, does it really matter? My daughter took her first deer 3 years ago at ~80 yards with an old Model '92 in 44/40. If your shots will be less than 100 yards, anything from the 357 Magnum carbine on up will do just fine. Shot placement is still everything, even in this discussion. :)
    no offense taken, but the op wanted a load with a gun that he already has...which is a .500. He was also looking for a long distance load, which usually is a high recoil load of lil gun or h110. The thing about my load is that it is a reduced load that feels like your shooting a .357. With this load you don't want to shoot it past a hundred yards because it will drop like a rock...

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Could be, he said it hit the shoulder though. Even if he gut shot it, with a half inch hole going in, I would think that it wouldn't be too far away. Maybe he needs to learn how to track better! Dunno! ;)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009

I thought you were just kidding! I'm trying to imagine how that could happen, but I've seen deer hit very hard that still went 150 yards, with a variety of cartridges. The deer was probably dead within 60 seconds but they can cover a lot of ground in that time. It's too bad your friend didn't find the deer.

In this day and age I have noticed two disturbing trends: People cannot track wounded game nearly as well as they used to...and some hunters just make stuff up. There is a member of my extended family who claims he shoots AT a deer every season, but almost never gets one. Several times when he's made these claims, he forgot other folks were hunting pretty close to him and they don't hear any shots. Maybe your buddy with the 500S&W is telling tales?

Anyway, long-range with a 500 Smith is going to be a relative term and if you want to push the envelope...expect it to push you back pretty hard! :D

Top Bottom