• JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Thanks for the discussion and ideas.

Setting up the 300 yard range with 25 yard targets for testing this spring, if all goes well and not distracted by other issues.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I will commend you, if you can get that slug to shoot 300 yards...It can be done but you are probably talking a six foot hold over...the .500 is only a 200 yard gun If you are lucky...still looking at 3 to 4 foot drop at that distance. Look for something maybe a little smaller if you want to kill something at 300 yards.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Well, it's not as bad as you think... yes, technically the "drop" is close to four feet at 300 yards (~44"), but if you sight 3" high at 100 yards...

The 325gr Barnes bullet has a BC of .228, and if you can get 2300fps from the muzzle of a 24" barrel (I think this is just possible)...

+/-3" trajectory is 210 yards with 1500fpe left, and most people would be advised not to take shots longer than that. Out at 260 yards it's just 10.5" below line of sight for a top of the back hold, and I would not recommend anyone go any further than that, but 300 yards is almost 20" low with 1300fpe left. That's still notably more energy that a standard 12GA slug has left at 100 yards.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Well, it's not as bad as you think... yes, technically the "drop" is close to four feet at 300 yards (~44"), but if you sight 3" high at 100 yards...

The 325gr Barnes bullet has a BC of .228, and if you can get 2300fps from the muzzle of a 24" barrel (I think this is just possible)...

+/-3" trajectory is 210 yards with 1500fpe left, and most people would be advised not to take shots longer than that. Out at 260 yards it's just 10.5" below line of sight for a top of the back hold, and I would not recommend anyone go any further than that, but 300 yards is almost 20" low with 1300fpe left. That's still notably more energy that a standard 12GA slug has left at 100 yards.

Along the same line, my buddy has a 460S&W in a Ruger #1. He has a Burris 3-9X with the ballistic plex reticle. He sights in 2" high at 100 and uses the additional hash marks for 225 and 275, IIRC. Something like that, anyway. It has plenty of stomp out to 300 yards and with that scope, and a LOT of practice, he can utilize it.

For most shooters, if they aren't sure they can make a long-range shot (because they've done it over and over from that shooting position) they probably shouldn't take the shot. This is particularly true with punkin chunker rounds like the 500S&W, where you are having to select a different reticle and/or hold over on your target. :)

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    For most shooters, if they aren't sure they can make a long-range shot (because they've done it over and over from that shooting position) they probably shouldn't take the shot. This is particularly true with punkin chunker rounds like the 500S&W, where you are having to select a different reticle and/or hold over on your target. :)

Totally agree. Myself won't be taking long shots, however, friend who's place the deer live at, has gotten several heads mounted that were taken from a long distance with "real" rifles ;-).

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Totally agree. Myself won't be taking long shots, however, friend who's place the deer live at, has gotten several heads mounted that were taken from a long distance with "real" rifles ;-).

You can't hunt deer with a "real" rifle in Indiana! Was this another state? :)

Top Bottom