• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Borock

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm getting into long range shooting (Remington 700, .308) and would like a little guidance concerning the minimum amount of magnification for 300-500 yd. shots (maybe farther later). I've read that a minimum of 16x-18x is where to start. I'm not wanting to shoot competitively. What have you found that works for you without needing to take out a second mortgage to pay for it? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

scoutsniper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 93.5%
    29   2   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Connersville
    We qualify with iron sights and/or a 4x32 RCO out to 500yrds in the Marine Corps. And it's very easy to see and hit a man sized target. I'd say a good 3-9/10 power scope would do nicely and you can get better glass on a budget with lower power scopes.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Talk to Alan at AA optics. I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP that I couldn't be happier with. Can't be beat for the price!

Sure, you could use irons and maybe hit it, or you could get good glass and draw a smiley face.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Call me tomorrow 765-580-0986 or email at the address below. Magnification is about 1/3rd the battle.

Magnification is dictated more by the ttpe od shootibg than the range shot. (IE Defense shooting, or group shooting)

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I'm getting into long range shooting (Remington 700, .308) and would like a little guidance concerning the minimum amount of magnification for 300-500 yd. shots (maybe farther later). I've read that a minimum of 16x-18x is where to start. I'm not wanting to shoot competitively. What have you found that works for you without needing to take out a second mortgage to pay for it? Thanks for any input.

AA Optics put a Vortex 4-16x scope on my .308 and I use it to shoot targets out to 1,000 yds. The important part to note here is that the rifle has a 100 yd zero and I use a ballistic calculator to determine elevation for whatever distance I need. A quality scope, such as a Vortex, will give you the same point of impact after adjustment up and down every time. Something to consider if you want to be within a couple of inches of the point of aim at 500 yds.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus

I'll echo what everyone has already said here:
    1. What type of shooting are you wanting to do and what are your goals? Happy with hits on a man-sized sillouette target, or be competitive in an F Class match where you're trying to keep every round in a 1/2 MOA circle?
    2. What's your budget?

Magnification is nice, but it's not everything. Especially if your target isn't tiny. I didn't believe this until I started shooting at longer distances, but it's true. I'd rather have a clear, crisp 16X than a dark, fuzzy 24X any day of the week. On a man-size target, 10X is plenty, in my opinion.

The other part is repeatable tracking, as in, can you dial 16 MOA up from your 100 yard zero and know you're getting 16 MOA every time? And more importantly, can you go back to zero and be on at 100 yards again?

I'm guessing these are the other 2/3 of what Alan was talking about in addition to magnification.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Depends what you're using it for.

If you're sitting on a bench and trying to shoot ragged holes in paper, get something with 24x or greater magnification (Sightron has some sIII's that go all the way up to 50x).

If you're shooting defensive classes or something along those lines, 1x minimum per 100 yards seems to be a good starting point, and you can go up from there. Having the option to drop magnification down so that you have a good field of view is important. For defensive type shooting, you don't want to be stuck with too high of magnification and too low of a field of view.

Reticle choice is also important. If you're going to want to be able to range your target through your scope instead of shooting known distances or if you're not using a range finder, you'll need something like a mil-dot or MOA based reticle. Then you'll need to figure out if you're wanting a BDC, mil or MOA hash, etc... for bullet drop, or if you're going to be dialing with your turrets for bullet drop.

And I'll echo everyone else in regards to getting something with reliably repeatable adjustments. You'll want to be able to dial a shot with your turrets, return your turrets to zero, and not have POI shift. You'll also want to be able to change magnification and parallax without POI shift.

Then figure out if you need/want something with variable magnification. It's quite a bit more expensive to get a good scope that's reliable and repeatable if you want variable magnification. You can get a cheap variable mag scope, but it's going to be a pile of dog ****. Fixed mag will be cheaper to get something that works well.

Just have to figure out what you need and want.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I'm running a 12-60x56 on my girls 10/22. :):
    Mounted with one sunshade it's almost longer than the barrel.

And before you ask - Just Because.

stymie12000

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Bripple
    Look into the sightron siii 6-24. Glass is very clear and it tracks perfect every time. I like it so much that I picked up the siii 3.5-10 for my ar. Also lifetime warranty.

I own/have owned: burris mtac, luepold vx3i, and vortex viper pst. The sightron is by far the best scope I own.

Last edited:

AndyPr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2016
    USA
    [FONT=&amp]Hi! I use the scope [/FONT][FONT=&amp]A[/FONT][FONT=&amp]TN X-SIGHT II HD 5-20X (Rifle Scopes - ATN best Hunting rifle scope with camera). I bought this scope month ago and [/FONT][FONT=&amp]mounted on[/FONT][FONT=&amp] my [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Remigton[/FONT][FONT=&amp]. Both are friendly very well.[/FONT]

I hope my advice will be useful

Last edited by a moderator:

TNLongShot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2015
    Charlestown
    I've been running the SWFA SS 10x42 on my long range bolt gun. I prefer the fixed 10 power and push it out to 1000 yards on a man sized target. Best bang for my buck at $300. If I had it to do over, I might pay the extra $100 for the side focus model.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I am running a relatively inexpensive......... OK let's call it cheap, 8x32x50 on my .308 Mossberg MVP-LC. The glass is surprisingly clear, presenting a sharp image. Have mainly been shooting clay pigeons placed on escalating hill-sides at 300-600-1000 yds. We couldn't tell the difference between a Vortex and an old Leopould in the glass quality. The scope is a Hi-lux copy of the "Leatherwood" scope issued to Marine corps snipers in Viet-Nam. I don't know how long it will hold up or how weather resistant it will be, but for the price I ended up paying for it I am happy. Time will tell.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Coatings and repeatability. It won't stack up. You can find clear glass on tons of cheap scopes. What you won't get is quality coatings on all of the lenses and repeatability of the turrets and settings.

I am running a relatively inexpensive......... OK let's call it cheap, 8x32x50 on my .308 Mossberg MVP-LC. The glass is surprisingly clear, presenting a sharp image. Have mainly been shooting clay pigeons placed on escalating hill-sides at 300-600-1000 yds. We couldn't tell the difference between a Vortex and an old Leopould in the glass quality. The scope is a Hi-lux copy of the "Leatherwood" scope issued to Marine corps snipers in Viet-Nam. I don't know how long it will hold up or how weather resistant it will be, but for the price I ended up paying for it I am happy. Time will tell.

Guncraft

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    Lafayette
    The advice you have received on defining what the rifle will be used for is right on the money. I have prairie dog rifles with 8-24 power Leupolds. I just bought a new coyote rifle last year that I put a 2-7 power Leupold on it and I have another rifle for hunting out west with another 2-7 on it that worked great for a downing a 500 yard antelope. If the purpose of this rifle is to shoot paper or small varmints, then go with a higher magnification. Larger, or possibly moving targets like a coyote, buy a little less scope - or at least one you can quickly dial the power down.

Best thing about firearms and scopes is you can buy more than one for more than one purpose!

Andy

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm running a 12-60x56 on my girls 10/22. :):
    Mounted with one sunshade it's almost longer than the barrel.

And before you ask - Just Because.

Seriously? You put this kind of comment up WITHOUT a picture? Common! We have to see this one....give us a picture! And before you reply - Just because!

Top Bottom