• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    I was wondering if anyone new of someone, or someplace, that offered instruction for long range shooting? I am looking for training on scope adjustment, environment adjustment, and other aspects involved in the discipline. Just for background, I live in the Greenwood area, but I am willing to travel. Also, I hope to get out past 500yds, and eventually out to 1000yds. Finally, are there any site advertisers that offer this instruction? Thank you, Tim.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Tim, what caliber and type of rifle do you have?

Have you ever shot your rifle?

Do you have a zero for your rifle now?

At what distance?

Do you know how to shoot from field positions? Or just from a bench?

Just some preliminary questions....

Dean

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    Coach, where are you located at. Sniper Company offers marksmanship class. We have access to ranges out to 1000the yrds. NRA instructors and a couple of military/police shooters.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    :popcorn:

Great question. I'm looking forward to the replies.

I recently started to put together some thoughts but didn't get around to making a thread about it yet. I'll cut and past what I have here. A lot of it may not be totally in line with the OP but I think we are on the same page.

I always thought it would be the most enjoyable use of vacation time to take a multi day immersion course in long range shooting. Something that starts where basic marksmanship leaves off. The Appleseed program is awesome but it would be nice to take it to the next level. I think that is what you are talking about...You get body mechanics (NPOA), sight picture, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow through, and even some basic dope logic to say the least at an Appleseed. Like you are alluding to it would be nice to have an organized class on the kind of stuff that comes into play 400 yards and beyond.

I picture a class syllabus like:
    --Scopes; parallax, mil dot vs MOA, different kind, uses, purposes so when you walk away you can sort through the bells and whistles when purchasing and know which ones apply to your intended use.
    --Ballistics (I don't know what I don't know here so I'll not even try to make a list of what is practical knowledge)
    --Doping out a rifle/optic(or irons) system; be able to figure out (and log) the dope on your rifle so you can make very close accurate cold bore shots by calculating rather than having to rely on adjustments after a first shot. Also so you will be able to figure hold off adjustments (from the rifles current zero) when time does not allow you to actually adjust the iron or scope.
    --Keeping a shooters log
    --Current logic (or review of differing schools of thought) on how to account for environmental factors like temp., curvature of the earth, solar flares, I figure nobody is still reading this anyway, just thought I would check.
    --This spot reserved for the million things I don't know.

(not particularly relevant to the OP's question but it was already in the reply and the guy mentioned commented in this thread :D

What really ramped up my excitement about this kind of thing was watching Sloughfoot take a group of Appleseeders to the 300Yd line on the second day of a shoot a couple years ago. Knowing our 25 yard zero he walked down the line and told everyone their adjustments needed to get on paper adjusted for their type of rifle, and the particular type of ammo they were using. At the time I knew he was a well respected NRA style long range shooter, but these rifles varied from AR's 16" to 24" barrels, a M1A (M14ish), and a couple rifles that a competition only knowledge based person would have little reason to be well versed in. (One was an SKS and I can't remember the other.) He walked down the line and thinking out loud would say the typical MOA change needed for that rifle then adjust for barrel length, and type of ammo they were using and so forth.
    I was (and still am) a noob so it was more than a little impressive. It was kind of one of those moments you have as a kid where you say to yourself, "I really want to be able to do that!"

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    Tim, what caliber and type of rifle do you have?

Have you ever shot your rifle?

Do you have a zero for your rifle now?

At what distance?

Do you know how to shoot from field positions? Or just from a bench?

Just some preliminary questions....

Dean

Dean,

I have a Remington 700 PSS chambered in .308 Win (26 in. barrel). I mounted a Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14 power scope, and installed a Harris Bipod a couple of weeks ago. Also, I have zeroed the rifle at 100 yards. As for shooting positions, I only have experience bench shooting. One caveat to that is my hunting experience with a muzzle loader in the past. Thank you, Tim

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    :popcorn:

Great question. I'm looking forward to the replies.

I recently started to put together some thoughts but didn't get around to making a thread about it yet. I'll cut and past what I have here. A lot of it may not be totally in line with the OP but I think we are on the same page.

I always thought it would be the most enjoyable use of vacation time to take a multi day immersion course in long range shooting. Something that starts where basic marksmanship leaves off. The Appleseed program is awesome but it would be nice to take it to the next level. I think that is what you are talking about...You get body mechanics (NPOA), sight picture, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, follow through, and even some basic dope logic to say the least at an Appleseed. Like you are alluding to it would be nice to have an organized class on the kind of stuff that comes into play 400 yards and beyond.

I picture a class syllabus like:
    --Scopes; parallax, mil dot vs MOA, different kind, uses, purposes so when you walk away you can sort through the bells and whistles when purchasing and know which ones apply to your intended use.
    --Ballistics (I don't know what I don't know here so I'll not even try to make a list of what is practical knowledge)
    --Doping out a rifle/optic(or irons) system; be able to figure out (and log) the dope on your rifle so you can make very close accurate cold bore shots by calculating rather than having to rely on adjustments after a first shot. Also so you will be able to figure hold off adjustments (from the rifles current zero) when time does not allow you to actually adjust the iron or scope.
    --Keeping a shooters log
    --Current logic (or review of differing schools of thought) on how to account for environmental factors like temp., curvature of the earth, solar flares, I figure nobody is still reading this anyway, just thought I would check.
    --This spot reserved for the million things I don't know.

(not particularly relevant to the OP's question but it was already in the reply and the guy mentioned commented in this thread :D

What really ramped up my excitement about this kind of thing was watching Sloughfoot take a group of Appleseeders to the 300Yd line on the second day of a shoot a couple years ago. Knowing our 25 yard zero he walked down the line and told everyone their adjustments needed to get on paper adjusted for their type of rifle, and the particular type of ammo they were using. At the time I knew he was a well respected NRA style long range shooter, but these rifles varied from AR's 16" to 24" barrels, a M1A (M14ish), and a couple rifles that a competition only knowledge based person would have little reason to be well versed in. (One was an SKS and I can't remember the other.) He walked down the line and thinking out loud would say the typical MOA change needed for that rifle then adjust for barrel length, and type of ammo they were using and so forth.
    I was (and still am) a noob so it was more than a little impressive. It was kind of one of those moments you have as a kid where you say to yourself, "I really want to be able to do that!"

You pretty much summed up my desired class. Well said.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like you'd learn a lot from attending and shooting a NRA F-Class competition. I know that Home Page holds a few during the year.

Also, a number of Highpower clubs host clinics throughout the year (Wildcat in Brookston, for one).

Mog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like you'd learn a lot from attending and shooting a NRA F-Class competition. I know that Home Page holds a few during the year.

Also, a number of Highpower clubs host clinics throughout the year (Wildcat in Brookston, for one).

That Home Page link is Central Indiana Highpower Rifle Shooters (Thanks! :). CIHPRS hosts NRA Highpower and Long Range (800-1000 yards) matches on the KD side at Camp Atterbury Long range is usually 1000 yards, and we have a couple of midrange (500-600 yard) events as well. F-Class is welcome at all of our prone matches (mid and long range. While we don't offer clinics per se there are usually plenty of folks that are more than willing to answer questions and help new shooters. If you're completely new to long range you are welcome to come out to watch and learn, ask questions. Email me (pm or use the email link on the website) to get your name on the gate roster.

Mog

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Hillside Shooting Sports - Rifle Range

this is the only long distance range I know of open to civilians within Indiana.....I've heard they offer great coaching to teach beginners long range basics....once you've mastered to that point you will likely have to seek more advanced training outside of Indiana......unless there is something out there close by which I haven't heard of and somebody can point out to me as well?...hopefully

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I've been trying to bring our Guerilla Sniper class to Indiana. The problem is, even though there are some nice long distance ranges around, like Hillside mentioned above, it is much harder to find one that also has the property available to do the field exercises, not just the square range stuff. It looks like the place it was held last year in Ohio is the closest.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../157296-aar_guerilla_sniper_kimbolton_oh.html

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Hillside Shooting Sports - Rifle Range

this is the only long distance range I know of open to civilians within Indiana.....I've heard they offer great coaching to teach beginners long range basics....once you've mastered to that point you will likely have to seek more advanced training outside of Indiana......unless there is something out there close by which I haven't heard of and somebody can point out to me as well?...hopefully

There's also Young's Long Shot Range a little farther North. I have never been to Young's, but have been to Hillside several times. It is a fine facility and keeps improving everytime I go there.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I've been trying to bring our Guerilla Sniper class to Indiana. The problem is, even though there are some nice long distance ranges around, like Hillside mentioned above, it is much harder to find one that also has the property available to do the field exercises, not just the square range stuff. It looks like the place it was held last year in Ohio is the closest.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo.../157296-aar_guerilla_sniper_kimbolton_oh.html

Personally I'm not really interested in the field exercises. (I'm understanding that to mean crawling around undetected to reach a fireing position.) All I am interested in at this point is learning the precision shooting.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Dean,

I have a Remington 700 PSS chambered in .308 Win (26 in. barrel). I mounted a Leupold Mark IV 4.5-14 power scope, and installed a Harris Bipod a couple of weeks ago. Also, I have zeroed the rifle at 100 yards. As for shooting positions, I only have experience bench shooting. One caveat to that is my hunting experience with a muzzle loader in the past. Thank you, Tim

For basic position shooting, the Appleseed program is a great place to start.

Something you might want to consider is the lowly 22 LR. It has been said many times that the way to 1000 yards starts at 25 feet. I, and many others, practice long range position shooting by shooting the smallbore rifle in NRA smallbore matches. For one thing, it is lots cheaper than the centerfire. A slight change in rifle pressure, position, NPOA, and wind will be quickly evident on the smallbore target. It is great practice. Most Junior high power shooters start out with the smallbore rifle.

Shooting the smallbore rifle at 100 yards is very similar to shooting a centerfire rifle at 1000. If you want to try it sometime, PM me and I will loan you a rifle and I will show you the basics on my home range.

You might also consider shooting NRA Mid-range prone matches at CIHPRS, Wildcat, or FT Wayne Rifle and Revolver. MR prone is shot at 300, 500, and 600 yards. Or at 300 yards on a very tough reduced target. Just say out loud that you would like help, and there will be several guys (or Mog) that will help you. When she talks, I listen.

Check out www.ISRPA.org for match schedules. Shooting rifle matches is where most proficient shooters learned the craft. Me included.

Good luck and I hope to see you on the firing line.

Last edited:

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    Any recommended reading "books not forums" on this subject. I have practiced with my .308 out to 400 yards with good results but it's more trial and error and walking rounds in. Nothing close to dialing in a cold bore shot and making it count.
    Primary interest on MOA and scope dialing.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Try "Prone and Long Range Rifle Shooting" by Nancy Tompkins.

Also, "Precision Shooting at 1,000 yards By Dave Brennan.

Neither one is a "tactical sniper" kind of book. Just lots of practical information and background on shooting and reloading for long range

Good luck and I hope to see you on the range.

IMO, Sniperco should have both books on the shelf.....

BTW, come ups are standard and are taught in the Appleseed program. There is nothing magical about come ups, especially for the 308 cartridge.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom