• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I'm looking for a long range scope for my Remington 700 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. As of now, i'm looking at a Leupold Mark IV ER/T or a Night Force NXS 8-32x56 or NXS 12-42x56.

My intention is to eventually shoot 1000m or more, but I want something rugged incase I pick up a larger calbier rifle for even longer range shooting like a .338 Lapua or .50 BMG. Plus I'm definately a spend good money once, instead of be cheap several times. I've read good reviews on both optics, I'm just looking for stuff you may know about that I don't.

firstrock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a Weaver T36 scope on my Win 70 Varmint gun. 1/8MOA adjustments, 94% light efficiency, Japanese glass, indipendent elevation and windage adjustments and VERY positive clicks on the adjustments.

I don'y know how accurate this scope would be past 600y or so as I have not shot farther than that with the .223 Win 70. I am extremely pleased with this scope and would buy it again!!!

Hope this helps!

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    the weaver's a good scope, I personally have had great success with the burris Black diamon mil dot, i've got the 8-32 on a 308 that I've shot f class and a 6-24 on a 200yd gun in 223,

I have many other burris products and have never once been disappointed

the high end weaver's and redfields seem to do a good job also, I only have 2 luepolds and they have done well,

Your going to get a bunch of differnt ipinions on this thread. If you be reasonable and don't try to get a $99 scope it won't really matter which of the big brands you get. I don't have much love for tasco, bsa, bushnell but you will hear people tell you how good they are, My group of shooters puts 1000's of rounds downrange in a summer and none of the lesser brands hold up, and even some of the high end scopes fail on occasion.

good luck

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If you can afford the nightforce go that route you wont go wrong and will have a scope that will last.... for what i consider about the best long range scope check out US Optics.... completely custom to exactly your specs and perfect customer service.... they typically run around 2k so just alittle more than the nightforce

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Nah, the Nightforce/Leupold $1600 range is about as much as I am willing to spend. And even that's pushing it, but I know the value in buying quality.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I've shot through both the Leupold Mark 4 (I own two), and I've shot through a Nightforce at a class, I couldn't tell much difference in both, they are both very clear and user friendly with the turrets.

I know by use that the Mark 4's can stand up to some beatings. You can't go wrong with the warranty either.

You also need to figure out what reticle you would want.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    I watch what I spend my money on in the states, and now I'm deployed, so I can easily afford to splurge on a nice long range rifle setup.

ah. my deployment funded the safe and everything in it. thats the only time you make decent money in the army.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Any reason to stick with a slightly lower power scope. The Leupold goes to 25x, then the two NFs go to 32x and 42x respectively. To my logic, more is better, but I also know that is not always the case. But I don't know about the possible downsides to a higher powered scope.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    I use an 8.5-25X Leupold at 1k. I never move the power adjustment, it stays at 25X.

There may be a time where there is too much mirage for the higher magnifications, however I haven't experienced one in approximately 13 years of long range shooting.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Mirage is a bit more noticible with the higher power scopes.... especially at longer ranges. If memory serves, military snipers and long range shooters normally use 10X scopes. The weaver T-36 is a nice scope.... I've got 5 of 'em on my rimfire match rifles.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    What do you have behind your reasoning?

I would like to know also, I've been on the line with all these different brands and I have never seen a significant difference in the clarity and light transmission at the times of day that I've looked through the NF, L, Bur,

our matches start at 6pm and at the end of the match or before the match I've checked out other guys equipment and I'm sorry to insult anybody but I've not seen any great big diffences between the top end scopes, Now you sit down behind a simmons, or bushnell you can see aberrations at the edge and some fish eye on the high magnification scopes,

But the top brand of scopes have all been very close, the Nikons, redfields, NF, ect. really look about the same, From the top end scopes there are sporadic failures but nothing on a regular basis. I understand wanting the best product out there but I think you can get into areas of diminishing returns and sometimes the $400 or more difference could be put to better use in ammo and practice.

thats my :twocents:

Not trying to start a flame war but the high end scopes are good scopes and throwing money after one when there are as good scopes for less doesn't make sense to ME

The nice thing is if you spend a lot of money on a scope you will get a good scope.

I have seen some very experience shooters get confused with variable power scopes with mil dot and Balistic dots, you must remember that the dots change spacing with the power of the scope, so read your manuals well when determining what you want out of a dot scope

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    What do you have behind your reasoning?

I think for dedicated long range shooting the little bit of extra magnification will help, but is not needed. Both the Leupold and NFs are very nice scopes, and if you don't need/want the extra magnification than the cost savings might be worth more to you.

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    I use an 8.5-25X Leupold at 1k. I never move the power adjustment, it stays at 25X.

There may be a time where there is too much mirage for the higher magnifications, however I haven't experienced one in approximately 13 years of long range shooting.

But arguably, I could just back the scopes magnification down untill it's not an issue, right?

Indecision

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2009
    Fort Bragg, NC
    Mirage is a bit more noticible with the higher power scopes.... especially at longer ranges. If memory serves, military snipers and long range shooters normally use 10X scopes. The weaver T-36 is a nice scope.... I've got 5 of 'em on my rimfire match rifles.

Our squad designated markmen have M14s with Leupold Mark IVs on them, which adjust to more than 10x, though i'm sure which specific models we have.

Top Bottom