• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I went up to Hillside shooting facility today for some long range shooting. They have ranges out to 1000 yards. I wasn't able to make it to the 1000, but I did make it out to hitting steel at 600 yards with my 300 wsm, and 300 with my 243. It is a fine facility and very safe. you have to start out at 100 and when you qualify there you can move up to 200.Then you have to qualify to go 300,400,600 and then to 1000. You have to hit 3moa at 100,200,300 and 2 moa at 400, 600,1000. The staff was very helpful in getting us to move up, spotting for us, repainting steel,etc. If you want to do some long range precision shooting, give Hillside a look. It is just outside of Ft. Wayne. All in all a great day. I ran about 75 rounds of 300wsm, 40 rounds of 243 and 20 rounds of 44 mag. I'm looking forward to going back.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    I also went to Hillside today and shoot my Remington 700. I shot 82 rounds of 308 between 100, 200, 300, 400, and 600 yards. I have a new scope and was about to get dope out to 600 yards in one range trip.

The range is set up nicely with steel and look forward to going back.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Joe:

Next time you're gonna go, holla at a brutha! Love to get my Recon Carbine out to stretch its legs again! It's been out to 400+ a couple times, with good results.

Glad to Mark! Next time I'm going to qualify with my 243 (Thanks bro!) out to...as far as I can. Not sure about the balistics out to 1000. It is probobly capable more than I am, but I'd like to find out.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    I also went to Hillside today and shoot my Remington 700. I shot 82 rounds of 308 between 100, 200, 300, 400, and 600 yards. I have a new scope and was about to get dope out to 600 yards in one range trip.

The range is set up nicely with steel and look forward to going back.

Sorry I missed you. Seems I missed several today. Patting my self on the back a little, I was able to qualify 400 on my first shot. Dead center of the target.:rockwoot:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Was also up there today with a buddy. I was not so lucky to move on past 200 yards with my Remington 710 30.06 (my friend did make it upto the 400 with his Savage 30.06 and reloads he made) I just blame the wind and my crummy bi-pod that should probably be on a b.b. gun... its my excuse and im sticking with it!

The staff and facilities were very nice, the other shooters were very nice in offering their experience and tips...
    They even let you drive their Gator (John Deere) to change your targets...

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Was also up there today with a buddy. I was not so lucky to move on past 200 yards with my Remington 710 30.06 (my friend did make it upto the 400 with his Savage 30.06 and reloads he made) I just blame the wind and my crummy bi-pod that should probably be on a b.b. gun... its my excuse and im sticking with it!

The staff and facilities were very nice, the other shooters were very nice in offering their experience and tips...
    They even let you drive their Gator (John Deere) to change your targets...

I remember meeting you Brandon.Put in a little work and a decent bipod, and you'll be on target very quickly. Especially if Chris or Joe is spotting for you. Both were very helpful when I was shooting. Giving thoughts on the wind and what it does to your shot. I'm very interested in taking some classes form Chris when he gets all the ducks in a row. He was talking about early spring.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I remember meeting you Brandon.Put in a little work and a decent bipod, and you'll be on target very quickly. Especially if Chris or Joe is spotting for you. Both were very helpful when I was shooting. Giving thoughts on the wind and what it does to your shot. I'm very interested in taking some classes form Chris when he gets all the ducks in a row. He was talking about early spring.

I am also interested, but need to get my ducks in a row as well! A better bipod is on the list of things to get and to try some different ammo as most parties there suggested...

Was still a fun learning experience none the less :)

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    Hillside range in Roanoke, just south of Fort Wayne.

http://hillsideshootingsports.com/

Yesterday the wind added a little fun to long range shooting, but nothing to bad. It was mostly out of the north at the 600 yards line (crosswind) and the east on the firing line (tailwind). There was also a nice mirage during the times the sun was out.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    This sounds like someplace I really need to try out. I browsed through their website but I still have a few questions. I understand you have to qualify at each distance but what exactly does that entail? I certainly welcome and would gladly accept instruction but does that mean someone is over your shoulder for every shot?

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    This sounds like someplace I really need to try out. I browsed through their website but I still have a few questions. I understand you have to qualify at each distance but what exactly does that entail? I certainly welcome and would gladly accept instruction but does that mean someone is over your shoulder for every shot?

If I have this wrong someone correct me. To qualify the staff watches while you shoot no more than 5 rounds to hit a 3 MOA target at 100, 200, and 300 yards. Then they make sure you can hit a 2 MOA target with at least 1 of 5 rounds at 400, 600, and 1000 yards. After you qualify you are on your own to shoot.

The range staff keep and eye on everyone shooting, but did not stand over ours shoulders.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis

Not at all.you start out at 100...fire at will. when you are ready to move to 200, you have to hit a 3" target with 1 of 5 shots with an RO watching. When you move to 200 you have to hit a 6" target 1 out of 5 to move to 300. 9" target at 300, 8" target at 400, 12" target at 600 and a 21" target at 1000. If you fail to hit 1 of 5, you have to practice some more and you can try to qualify again. The RO's are great people and will try to help you qualify by spotting and calling your shots. They are not in your back pocket while you're shooting. They are not range nazis. But if you do something not safe, they will, politely, ask you to leave. Just like anywhere. If you want to go, let me know, I'll go back in a heartbeat.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    If I have this wrong someone correct me. To qualify the staff watches while you shoot no more than 5 rounds to hit a 3 MOA target at 100, 200, and 300 yards. Then they make sure you can hit a 2 MOA target with at least 1 of 5 rounds at 400, 600, and 1000 yards. After you qualify you are on your own to shoot.

The range staff keep and eye on everyone shooting, but did not stand over ours shoulders.

Not at all.you start out at 100...fire at will. when you are ready to move to 200, you have to hit a 3" target with 1 of 5 shots with an RO watching. When you move to 200 you have to hit a 6" target 1 out of 5 to move to 300. 9" target at 300, 8" target at 400, 12" target at 600 and a 21" target at 1000. If you fail to hit 1 of 5, you have to practice some more and you can try to qualify again. The RO's are great people and will try to help you qualify by spotting and calling your shots. They are not in your back pocket while you're shooting. They are not range nazis. But if you do something not safe, they will, politely, ask you to leave. Just like anywhere. If you want to go, let me know, I'll go back in a heartbeat.

Thanks for the answers guys! One more question though. Once you qualify, do you have to re-qualify every visit or do they keep you on record and your good from then on? Sorry to make a nuisance of myself with so many questions but I'm really curious about this place. Once I get some better glass, I'd love to have a place to stretch out my Remmy 700 on a more regular basis.

pierce195

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    New Castle
    Thanks for the answers guys! One more question though. Once you qualify, do you have to re-qualify every visit or do they keep you on record and your good from then on? Sorry to make a nuisance of myself with so many questions but I'm really curious about this place. Once I get some better glass, I'd love to have a place to stretch out my Remmy 700 on a more regular basis.

No, you qualify once per rifle. The range staff takes down your info and the rifle used. So if next time there is a question if you are qualified or not the range staff can check the book.

You do have to qualify with each rifle, so for example the next time I go back I will qualify with my M14. The last trip I qualified with my Remington 700.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Thank you again sir! As of now I only own one rifle capable of that kind of distance but hope to change that in the future.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    They are very nice up there. I was unsure of the qualifying thing when I heard about it, but was well worth it! Granted I only got to the 200 yard range, that is still the furthest I have hit the target where it was supposed to hit. The 300 yard range I tried and I did hit the target, but not in the specified area... Just could not get it done... but I was free to shoot 200 or 100 all day long.

I am looking forward to upgrading my bipod and trying some different ammo and hopefully qualify for the 3 and 400 yard ranges... *sometime soon*

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    You are lucky I only went to a 50 yard range today to test my new mauser. Let me tell you 1 inch group is good with mil surplus ammo (well for a 13 year old)

Top Bottom