• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dundee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    West Lafayette
    I have found that march 10-11 2018 Atterbury is holding a mid range and an all across.

Soooo, maybe I missed this but what are you shooting? 6 / 6.5 Creedmoor, .223, something else? Bolt action or semi-auto? I haven’t shot long distance bolt action but I understand they are all prone out to 1500yrd and the guys I know shoot 6 / 6.5 Creedmoor. I have shot long distance gas gun out to 800 yards and there was some prone, but lots of other positions with moving between the shots. 6.5 Creedmoor ruled the day but I was shooting .223 in a different class. It was quite the challenge. High Power events have shots from 200yrd Off Hand (Standing), 300yrd Sitting and Prone, 600yrd Prone.

So, what are you shooting?

bowler299

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2017
    elwood
    Soooo, maybe I missed this but what are you shooting? 6 / 6.5 Creedmoor, .223, something else? Bolt action or semi-auto? I haven’t shot long distance bolt action but I understand they are all prone out to 1500yrd and the guys I know shoot 6 / 6.5 Creedmoor. I have shot long distance gas gun out to 800 yards and there was some prone, but lots of other positions with moving between the shots. 6.5 Creedmoor ruled the day but I was shooting .223 in a different class. It was quite the challenge. High Power events have shots from 200yrd Off Hand (Standing), 300yrd Sitting and Prone, 600yrd Prone.

So, what are you shooting?
    . CIHPRS site states mid range is 300 500 600. Good guess I have an RPR 6.5 CM.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Squadded with? Load 1? No magazine?

LOL. Typically there are 4 relays. Let's say you are squadded on relay 3 with another shooter that is relay 4. You and your newfound buddy head down to the pits while relays 1 and 2 fire their 300 yard targets. You Mark each shot so the scorer back on the firing line can mark the score for each shot for his shooting buddy. Then typically, you come out of the pits to fire your 300 and 500 yard shots for record. Relays 1 and 2 are in the pits for you. And so on

Slow fire means you load one round in the gun at a time. No more. Time limit is one minute per shot. Or 20 minutes for 20 shots. Magazines can be on the gun but are not loaded.

Squadding is random unless there is somebody you want to shoot with and you make that known when signing in that morning. Random squadding means you could be shooting with a national champion or a brand new shooter.

It is in your best interest to give great pit service because later they will be in the pits for you. Also to be a great target scorer because your buddy will be scoring your shots for you. Hence your need for a spoting scope.

It's great fun. I hope you go....

Last edited:

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Except that none of that stuff about pits or scoring or spotting scopes is true anymore.

We're all electronic now, and the score of a shot and a string is only as far away as your smartphone or laptop.

All scorers do now is count rounds sent, write down scores, and advocate for their shooter when s/he needs something.

No spotting scope is even in use by a lot of these F'ers. Hell, my spotter with 19.5x is less power than they are using to actually aim with.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Except that none of that stuff about pits or scoring or spotting scopes is true anymore.

We're all electronic now, and the score of a shot and a string is only as far away as your smartphone or laptop.

All scorers do now is count rounds sent, write down scores, and advocate for their shooter when s/he needs something.

No spotting scope is even in use by a lot of these F'ers. Hell, my spotter with 19.5x is less power than they are using to actually aim with.

I have been away for 5 years. I need to get back into it. How do they handle guys with no zero on their rifle that show up for a match

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    If it's short range, most of us--including you--can kinda spit ball a 200 yard starting point. Take a shot or two prone, then move from there.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Oh. Sorry.

I say: you need to at least be on paper at 100. From there, I can totally SWAG a come up close enough to be deep in the rings.

I'd go withhhh... +4.0 minutes to start at 300.

bowler299

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2017
    elwood
    This guy wants to shoot mid range and long range for his first matches. What if he shows up and does not have any kind of zero on his gun...
    my average grouping is .67 moa. this is at any distance from 100 to 710. all these are 3 shot groups. I will hit paper! And I would still like to meet at bass and bucks. I will bring doughnuts!!

bowler299

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2017
    elwood
    Oh. Sorry.

I say: you need to at least be on paper at 100. From there, I can totally SWAG a come up close enough to be deep in the rings.

I'd go withhhh... +4.0 minutes to start at 300.
    on paper at100? first group 3 shots 356 yds 10/16/17 (second time beyond 100yds) was 2 1/8 inches. 4 inches south west of center. I shoot well. am looking for help. I've done the math I average .67 moa at any range. At 100 I would be hard pressed to miss a silver dollar. I joined this group looking to learn! If anyone knows comp. shooting all I want is knowledge. Thanks!!

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    on paper at100? first group 3 shots 356 yds 10/16/17 (second time beyond 100yds) was 2 1/8 inches. 4 inches south west of center. I shoot well. am looking for help. I've done the math I average .67 moa at any range. At 100 I would be hard pressed to miss a silver dollar. I joined this group looking to learn! If anyone knows comp. shooting all I want is knowledge. Thanks!!

Bowler, I wasn't suggesting you didn't have ability or equipment by any means.

I was simply responding to Slough's suggestion that you are an unknown quantity as regards both of those items. We do have people show up with no zeroes, and they still usually shoot unless there's a functional problem with the weapon system. I watched Mark Delcotto win a match with no rear sight; well okay, he borrowed Bob's spare rear, but he did NOT have even a semblance of a zero, and we start shooting on our feet! Then again...he is a Delcotto.

Do we "know" competitive shooting? Yeah, some say so. Despite being very competitive, we aren't really bragging types, but there are websites for both the NRA National and the Indiana State Records we hold. You may not know it, but your Hoosier F-Class Team is one of the best in the country, and there are a few Prone and Course shooters down there that are Nationally ranked as well.

But I did mean what I said. If you have ANY zero at ANY yardline under 1,000, we can get you on paper at any other yard line pretty quickly. As you may know, it's not that big a deal.

Send this email address a message, make fun of his toes and tell him it was me, and ask him to add you to the email list for the spring: cihprs@wildapricot.org

Two word suggestion
    Revere’s Riders

Brad, I mean this respectfully to both you and Revere's, but it sounds like this gentleman is already there and is looking to expand his skill sets to longer lines.

Last edited:

bowler299

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2017
    elwood
    Bowler, I wasn't suggesting you didn't have ability or equipment by any means.

I was simply responding to Slough's suggestion that you are an unknown quantity as regards both of those items. We do have people show up with no zeroes, and they still usually shoot unless there's a functional problem with the weapon system. I watched Mark Delcotto win a match with no rear sight; well okay, he borrowed Bob's spare rear, but he did NOT have even a semblance of a zero, and we start shooting on our feet! Then again...he is a Delcotto.

Do we "know" competitive shooting? Yeah, some say so. Despite being very competitive, we aren't really bragging types, but there are websites for both the NRA National and the Indiana State Records we hold. You may not know it, but your Hoosier F-Class Team is one of the best in the country, and there are a few Prone and Course shooters down there that are Nationally ranked as well.

But I did mean what I said. If you have ANY zero at ANY yardline under 1,000, we can get you on paper at any other yard line pretty quickly. As you may know, it's not that big a deal.

Send this email address a message, make fun of his toes and tell him it was me, and ask him to add you to the email list for the spring: cihprs@wildapricot.org

Brad, I mean this respectfully to both you and Revere's, but it sounds like this gentleman is already there and is looking to expand his skill sets to longer lines.

Natdscott. Thank you! I am sorry for the way I responded!

Top Bottom