• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    If the mre meals are unhealty, anyone have any good ideas of food that will stay good for multiple years at a reasonable cost in the event of a disaster ?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Calories is calories.

Cheap calories, 50lb bags of rice, popcorn, and feed wheat.

Use that as a base and supplement it with small amounts of veggies and meat, like most of Asia does now.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Higher protien grains like oats and quinoa, soy if you can tolerate it. store it below 40deg
    to reduce insects and keep it very dry...buy a good grinder[manual]

Ronald

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2011
    Beans, rice, and certain canned foods. You might also want to consider learning to garden to get some fresh vegetables too.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Rice and beans is where I started my survival food supplies. 50lb bags of white rice was around $20 last time I was at Sams club. Add on canned goods which should be rotated every year or so, which I have read. Canned goods include vegetables, fruits, meats, etc. dont forget water. We have a water purification system and a large supply of water. We have a flowing creek, pond, and pool for water supplies.

MRE's are healthy. A lot of troops lived on them for quite some time. They may not be the best tasting but they give you calories. They do lack roughage, which can give you digestion problems after a few weeks. The biggest problem with MRE's is price. Good for camping or hiking or a couple days of food, but way too expensive for long term survival.

PriestEG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 4, 2011
    Indianapolis
    MRES are unhealthy if you go about eating 3 of them a day like some people think would be necessary since its called a MEAL ready to eat when in reality its more like MEALS ready to eat. one MRE is roughly an entire days worth of calories. back in the day (a few years ago) when my unit would hit the field, we each would be given 1 mre/ day in the field and that was plenty!! those things have around 2k - 2.5k calories each. unhealthy.. id so no but its kind of like Mcdonalds making kids fat. if you eat to much of them on a dailybasis you will get fat. but if you maintain the appropiate caloric intake/day with what the body is doing, no problem.

and hell i ate nothing but MRES and the occasional can of tuna or beef jerky slice while i was over in the suck, and never had a problem with digestion or weight gain.. just my 2cents

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    An MRE is about 1250 calories, a moderately active adult male needs about 2500 cal a day. Three MRE's is not too many if you are active.

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    However you get it, protein is a make or break in long term survival from everything I've read. It also causes constipation so fiber still needs to be introduced.

Sometimes survival will trump healthy.

Lynn Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    MSG 2 / Indianapolis
    One thing I do is portion my rice, beans, and bread packs and then freeze them for 4 days. I use a food saver and bags to vacuum seal them. This should kill weevils and just about anything else that could be in or on the stores.

From my reading that lets my bread packs last about 4 years (it is the flour that will go bad) and the rice and beans will last anywhere from 10 years to indefinitely depending on what book or website you read.

Of course keeping them in a cool, dry, dark place will keep them better than a hot sunny place.

Have fun,

Lynn

Mens Rea

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Westfield, Indiana
    Rice and beans for sure, and MRE's as well. I have never heard they are unhealthy. However if you are in a situation where you have to eat them, they are still going to be better than nothing and hopefully it will just be a short time where you are forced to resort to such eating methods.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Mountain house has a good variety of #10 cans of freeze dried, 25 year shelf life foods in a pretty good variety. You can pick up a can or two or get cases of it. I like to stagger my purchases and types so not all goes over date at same time.

nemo97

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 29, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I want to buy a few samplings of some of the different companies as I plan on making a major purchase rather soon (i.e. a year's supply). Thinking maybe a week supply from a few of the options out there and taste test them as I think it would help stave off starvation to actually have good tasting food if/when SHTF.

If you have experience with the different companies would you share your thoughts on the quality of the foodstuffs?

fireblade

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 30, 2011
    Earth
    easy meal and mountain house are the best tasting and are the same company just diffent brands......... you can buy pouches of mountain house at walmart camping area for about 4 dollars a bag there all good;) a cheap way to try them out keep in mind the pouches (bags) have a 7 year self life ... i have bought alot of easy meal from costco online good tasting and good price .....it been my experince mountain house and easy meal products are the best tasting....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom