• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What type of long range hunting have you done or would like to do?

• Total voters

HeftyLefty39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    :cool: So i've decided I want to create a long range rifle for my own after fine tuning my dad's rem 700 7mrm...now comes the research and planning though. I've got the time (or at least i'm going to act like I do Lord willing), but I need to start putting things in place and i'm curious to see what you all think about a couple manufactures/products i'm thinking about. Now money is a big factor, but its going to be spread out over the years so even though it might wind up being $5,000...it also will probably be over like 6-8yrs.
    Here's my thoughts...please by all means opinions and comments are wanted!

Application: Long Range Hunting (big game {Elk, Mules, Antelope} out to 1000-1500yds)
    Caliber: .338 Lapua Magnum
    Optics: Nightforce NXS series 56mm, zero stop, illuminated reticle, side focus, quick turn adjustment turrets. Mil-dot or MOA reticle not sure yet
    Base: Either one piece base with 20moa, or 20MOA piccattinny base
    Rings: Nightforce or Badger Ordinance
    Stock: MacMillan (not sure what model) bedded, free floated with cheek rest, solid yet not to heavy can't carry in field hunting
    Trigger: Jewel or Timney...used to Timney, heard Jewel was nice though
    Muzzel Brake: Custom...either built into barrell or screw on type
    Barrel: Hart or Lilja Barrels 26in-28in with 1:10in twist...with heavy barrel, possibly fluted...any opinions on these two or others that might be better
    Bi-pod: Harris S-series

Now on to my biggest questions...I want a custom action, bolt, firing pin...i'm not sure about those parts though and whose got durable, reliable, heavy magnum equipment that would be appropriate and long lasting...this is where I really need advice. What do I look for and who's making solid products in these areas...what all could I do here besides a threaded bolt with a squared head fit to the action, custom action, great firing pin? Please any and all advice appreciated! Again this is LONG term not in a year or even two to three! :D:cool::D:cool:

Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm sorry, I just have to say this: no one should be shooting at animals 1000+yds away. Waay too much to go wrong. For instance, just think about how long it takes the round to get that far. What could happen in that time?

Not a jab at you or your project.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    FIRST, this is just MY OPINION.

The most you should ever plan on for a shot on game is 400 yards or so. To try to take a 1000 or 1500 yard shot on the game you listed is just wrong.

I have several 1000 yard paper punching rifles. None of them cost more than $800. None of them took more than a couple of weeks to build. They are all sub-moa.

.260, .308, and .243 are the calibers. Douglas, Hart, and Kreiger barrels. They are all good. The .338 Lapua magnum is good too, but the caliber won't make up for a lack of shooting skill. But caliber doesn't dictate cost of the rifle package.

A $5000 rifle won't do any more better than one of my $800 rifles.

Buy ammo with the difference and practice a lot.

There are lots of folks that will take your money, though. Have fun.

After spending lots of money, you will realize that a $400 Savage in 30.06 will take that Elk just fine. But I don't want to spoil it for you......

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    imo if you are going to do this there is no question go custom action. if for no other reason do it for resale value even if you never plan to sell it. i havea stiller and absolutly love it. the folks at stiller are great to work with.

even if you go factory action after blueprinting the action a custom wont cost alot more. i cant recomend stiller enough.

like sloughfoot i agree that it will take thousands of dollars in ammo before a responsible shot can be taken @ 1000yds. i went pronghorn hunting and i took at least 50-100 shots @ 550yds an still avoided a 550yd shot if at all possible. i took both my pronghorns @ 300-350. i could have probably got closer but the wind was dead on in my face and i really felt i could put the bullet within a inch of where i was aiming (i was right) @ 550 i was getting 3 inch groups wich is extreamly good in my opinion. hypotectically no wind or all the other things that go into a shot like that being added in that is almost a 9 inch group @ 1500yds. meaning if i did my job spot on with no error i could still wound a animal.

that said defintally do the build. i would stick with a stiller action and personally would look into the manners mcs-t or mcs-ta stocks. they are light enough for hunting and have the feaures i liked. not to mention tom is a great guy to work with and will help walk a newbie threw the process. i called him to order a stock that was 300 bucks more than the stock he talked me into

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    If you intend to traipse after elk carrying a 338LM wearing a scope with a 56mm objective you might want to start training up now so you'll be ready to lug the thing.

Light is right every time.

HeftyLefty39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    more questions keep coming up like who's a good wind guy to talk to...I know we all think we're a good shot until the wind starts to show its muscle...anyone around here or on INGO good at wind or teaching people how to read it?

Thank you all for you feedback...I was sort of throwing a money number out there because I know things aren't cheap, I'm not sure I'll be putting that much money towards a rifle at that time in my life anyways...again thanks guys and keep em coming!

You all really think taking an Elk or Mule deer shouldn't be attempted with a .338 LM at 1000yds??? Even with a training and capable skills?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    yep, I really don't think a 1000 yard shot should be attempted at any animal no matter how much training or experience a person has. I have thousands of rounds sent downrange at 1000 yards and I still get surprised.

The only way to learn to shoot in the wind is to shoot in the wind.

Regards

HeftyLefty39

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have several 1000 yard paper punching rifles. None of them cost more than $800. None of them took more than a couple of weeks to build. They are all sub-moa.quote]

I'm curious what sort of optics you have on those long range rifles, especially if you say they are sub MOA because a NF will cost you $1200 just for a base model and the Leupold Mk 4's are still $1000. I guess I should be more specific and say your rifle system and not just the barrell, action, trigger, stock, and bolt.

Top Bottom