• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Been doing a bit of searching on long term storage, I figured I'd go with a good coat of oil/grease/something and a vacuum sealed bag. My real question is, should a rifle or a shotgun be stored standing upright or laying down? If I can lay them upright with no warpage then that will help with where I want to store them. And long term could be a few months, few years, few decades, I really don't know.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Mine have been standing upright "|" not "_" for decades. Well, okay it is more like "/". ;)
    Ha! Funny. For LONG term, I'd say lightly coat them in a good gun grease, and get yourself a FoodSaver. Vacuum packed guns should last indefinitely. Maybe throw a desiccant pack in where any air pockets would be, (shotgun barrel, inside receiver, etc).

Edit: Ok, obviously didn't thoroughly read the post. Sorry. Maybe you could get some Mosin crates and stand them up? Or large PVC pipes and build weapons caches with them?

Last edited:

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Google "backwoods home" magazine and look in the archives for a good article on a guy who buried an SKS for 10 years then dug it up.

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    With wood stocks, I have seen it recommended to store firearms muzzle down. The theory is that any oil in the action won't move into the buttstock and "rot" the wood (muzzle up). I have seen some older rifle where they had too much oil and over time the wood behind the action became soft and oil soaked. Just a thought.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Remove the stock. Wrap and store separated from the action.
    Find a massive tub. Fill with cosmoline and heat until liquid.
    Remove heat. Immerse firearm minus stock into liquid cosmoline.
    Let cool until cosmoline is gelled. Take gun out of gelled cosmoline and wipe off excess.
    Wrap in wax paper and bury.

You're welcome comrade.

Top Bottom