• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    I've been thinking about the potential for an ice storm and how I'd keep my family warm. I do quite a bit of grilling in the summer and always keep a full propane tank in the garage along with whatever's in the tank on the grill. What can I use to heat the house with these tanks that would be safe for prolonged, enclosed use? I have a turkey burner but that doesn't sound like the safest thing to burn in an enclosed area for extended periods. Also, how long can I expect to run a heater on a tank?

I have a very young child if that makes a difference. (One of the main reasons I'm preparing)

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I've been thinking about the potential for an ice storm and how I'd keep my family warm. I do quite a bit of grilling in the summer and always keep a full propane tank in the garage along with whatever's in the tank on the grill. What can I use to heat the house with these tanks that would be safe for prolonged, enclosed use? I have a turkey burner but that doesn't sound like the safest thing to burn in an enclosed area for extended periods. Also, how long can I expect to run a heater on a tank?

I have a very young child if that makes a difference. (One of the main reasons I'm preparing)

try a kerosene heater

0c0e4d19-535a-45e6-9936-b9ba1461245a_400.jpg

If it's for.........lets say electrical grid goes down......then a chimney would work best.

Dirc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Noblesville
    try a kerosene heater

0c0e4d19-535a-45e6-9936-b9ba1461245a_400.jpg

If it's for.........lets say electrical grid goes down......then a chimney would work best.

I already have propane on hand, which has a practically indefinite shelf life (disregarding the fact that I'm using it regularly anyway). I don't want to store kerosene too.

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    I already have propane on hand, which has a practically indefinite shelf life (disregarding the fact that I'm using it regularly anyway). I don't want to store kerosene too.

only suggestion would be some at home heaters
    img_7332.jpg

Find out how much power they use, compare it to the amount of time you might need it.

Example: it gets colder at night, so you might use it less in the day and more at night.

Once you do the math, get some solar panels and battery bank to where they can store the power and solar panels to where they can supply the power needed to operate the heaters.

:twocents:

chrstian_indy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    If this is a SHTF, remember propane and any other type of gas would be a luxury not a commodity.

Think long term. Like a mini windmill.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    If you are adamant about using propane, I would suggest one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23...1BZU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324326947&sr=8-1

Coleman makes one too:

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Black...1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1324327381&sr=1-1

Notice that the first heater runs up to 9000 btu's. The Coleman only puts out 3000 btu's.

Also, both of these are designed to run on the little 1lb cylinders. If you are planning on using a big 20lb (or bigger) cylinder, you will need the requisite hoses/adaptors to run them.

Make sure to get a battery operated carbon monoxide detector when using any "supplemental" heating in the house. Also, some heating systems use the oxygen right out of the air, so if your house is well insulated and almost air-tight, you could reduce the oxygen to dangerously low levels. A lot of manuals will tell you to leave a window open about an inch to prevent this from happening.

Last edited:

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    In my old garage I had a blue flame wall mount and it would run you out. I ran it of a 100 gallon tank but it has been 6 yrs since I had that house so I can't remeber how long the tank lasted. Now I run my furnace off the genny. If the furnace quits I have a 200,000 btu slamander I run on disel and two kerosene heaters that also can use disel. If it was not for my insurance I would put in a wood burner and keep the others as back up.

Top Bottom