• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4TheResistance

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    Galveston, 46932
    Hillside Shooting Sports in Roanoke, 10 miles southwest of Fort Wayne has a rifle range out to 1,000 yards!

Hillside Shooting Sports - Welcome to the Frontpage

The pistol range is up to 50 yards, plus there is a clubhouse, gunshop, 350 acre hunting preserve, and, finally, trap and 8-point clay ranges.

The clincher: $10 to shoot all day on the 1,000 yard rifle range and the pistol range!

Best kept secret around!

sounds great but an hour and half drive is a little too far for me

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Hillside Shooting Sports in Roanoke, 10 miles southwest of Fort Wayne has a rifle range out to 1,000 yards!

Hillside Shooting Sports - Welcome to the Frontpage

The pistol range is up to 50 yards, plus there is a clubhouse, gunshop, 350 acre hunting preserve, and, finally, trap and 8-point clay ranges.

The clincher: $10 to shoot all day on the 1,000 yard rifle range and the pistol range!

Best kept secret around!

You sir get some rep for sharing that info!!! It would be a little far for me to drive as well........but for $10 for the day I would be game just for the longer distance aspect, longest official range I can do right now is 100. It would be nice to go out a little farther.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Wow, I had no idea that Youngs was that expensive. It only costs 20 to 30 dollars to shoot a 1000 yard match at Camp Atterbury or Camp Perry. When you think about it, 20 or 30 for a day of shooting would be like a monthly payment at youngs. 20 x 12 = $240, 30 x 12 = $360. It's not an unreasonable fee.

Plus you get target pullers and quick feedback on your hits at a match. In other words, meaningful feedback.

So at Youngs, you shoot some shots at a target, then the line is called cold, you "gater" on down to check your target? So what do you do if you have no hits? What do you adjust off of? Do you even have a spotter behind you to help you out? Kinda, generally people don't hang nearly as many targets as they do at other ranges because there are steel plates at 7, 25, 50, 75, 100, 150, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, and 1,000 yards. The plates are all painted white so a hit shows up as a black spot on the target. It's really easy to see where you're hitting. The 1000 range is interesting because if you're quick you can pull the trigger, get back on target and then see the bullet hit, wait two seconds and then you'll hear the sound of the impact. If you miss the target it's like anywhere else, Pay attention to the bullet backstops around the target and maybe you'll see some dirt kick up. At each distance, there are both large and small targets. I use the large to make sure I'm on target then I start in on the little ones.

Sounds like an exercise in frustration to me. The nice thing about a range that uses steel and one of the most overlooked benefits of such a range is that you don't have to call a cease fire every time someone shows up and needs to hang a target. Just show up & shoot. Once the targets get so riddled with black marks from bullet hits someone usually calls for a cease fire, takes the gator for a joy ride and paints the targets.

I guess its a way for someone to make some money if he doesn't feel like farming I guess. Though they do make some money at it, it's not like they're getting rich and using the money to buy condo's in paris. I've met several of the youngs and they are some of the nicest people I've ever met. They're the kind of people I want to do business with.

I am a member at Youngs and have been for almost 3 years now. I love it and it's worth every penny. There isn't a full time range officer there and they opperate on the honor code. It's a great place to shoot in the winter when nobody is there as you can see bullets hitting the snow if you miss and the building is heated. Lots of guys that shoot there are very friendly also and there's a wide range of rifles, scopes, handguns, and skills. I really think that anyone interested in learning how to really shoot, owes it to themselves to go there at least once. If you have any questions about the range by all means fire when ready.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    After claiming he never shoots his .338 Lapua at less than 1,000 yards, Dave Doehrman was having a great time, yesterday at Hillside Shooting Sports, shooting a coyote steel silhouette in the butt at 300.

Expect to see Pete Petros, Lead Reloading Technician at Sinclair International at Hillside, today, shooting his ridiculously tight groups at 600-1,000 yards.

I plan to shoot some .44 mag. on the pistol range, just to be sure not all the noise is from the rifle range! :)

Come on out and join the fun. $10 to shoot all day!

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I am a member at Youngs and have been for almost 3 years now. I love it and it's worth every penny. There isn't a full time range officer there and they opperate on the honor code. It's a great place to shoot in the winter when nobody is there as you can see bullets hitting the snow if you miss and the building is heated. Lots of guys that shoot there are very friendly also and there's a wide range of rifles, scopes, handguns, and skills. I really think that anyone interested in learning how to really shoot, owes it to themselves to go there at least once. If you have any questions about the range by all means fire when ready.

If I was closer I would pay that in a heartbeat!!

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    Come on out and join the fun. $10 to shoot all day!

I am a bit confused here...
    Is it only $10 to shoot all day, as in if I head out there today, do I just pay $10 and thats it for the day.

Because I checked their web site and it sounded as thought I have to pay a $50 yearly fee first and then $10 a day.
    So using my example, if I head out there today to shoot, do I then pay $60 to shoot today?

Not trying to step on anyone's toes, I'm just a bit confused as to the real pricing is because it is a little drive for me.
    The price difference would make driving to roush lake shooting range more sense to me, in my case.

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    There is a club outside Cincinnati that has a 1000 yard range. they also shoot at 600 yards. dont know the name of the club but it is a bunch of high power rifle. guys.

Lots of optics on poles and rifle stuff, mats, guys shooting prone. that kind of stuff. :yesway: the guys I saw were pretty diailed in. They about died when a guy set up a Sharps on a couple of sticks and started hitting targets with a peep sight.... ):):)

furbymac

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    noblesville
    I am a bit confused here...
    Is it only $10 to shoot all day, as in if I head out there today, do I just pay $10 and thats it for the day.

Because I checked their web site and it sounded as thought I have to pay a $50 yearly fee first and then $10 a day.
    So using my example, if I head out there today to shoot, do I then pay $60 to shoot today?

Not trying to step on anyone's toes, I'm just a bit confused as to the real pricing is because it is a little drive for me.
    The price difference would make driving to roush lake shooting range more sense to me, in my case.
    that is the way i read it too and that is only to go friday sat and sunday when and ro is on duty you have to pay another 50 and take a class to go anyother day of the week

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    that is the way i read it too and that is only to go friday sat and sunday when and ro is on duty you have to pay another 50 and take a class to go anyother day of the week

Not so. Yes, there must be an RSO present (the customer may be an RSO.) The rest is not correct, especially the bit about being required to take a class.

Call 260-672-3715 and talk to Dave or Greg.

Last edited:

flyinlow78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Does Hillside allow 50 BMG? It sounds like a really nice range. I've gone to Bass and bucks before and loved it, but Roanoke is probably 30-40 minutes closer and may be worth checking out.

For those that have time Bass and Bucks is a very friendly range. The people that work in the store are very nice and accommodating. They will let you drive down range which is great for anything beyond 400 yards. Just be careful, if it has rained recently you may want 4 wheel drive :D

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Does Hillside allow 50 BMG? It sounds like a really nice range. I've gone to Bass and bucks before and loved it, but Roanoke is probably 30-40 minutes closer and may be worth checking out.

For those that have time Bass and Bucks is a very friendly range. The people that work in the store are very nice and accommodating. They will let you drive down range which is great for anything beyond 400 yards. Just be careful, if it has rained recently you may want 4 wheel drive :D

Once Greg and Dave get to know you and have confidence in your handling of the 50 BMG, you will be able to shoot it. They are good folks.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    Not so. Yes, there must be an RSO present (the customer may be an RSO.) The rest is not correct, especially the bit about being required to take a class..

So you are saying that I don't have to pay the $50.
    Just $10 total the first time as long as a RSO is there?

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    I'm from cass county and I'm shooting .243 and 7.62x54r for range:ar15:

Backtrail: that sounds awesome but just a little pricey

4TR, I am from Cass county as well. I go to The Winamac FWA state range and do all of my shooting.It is about a 40 minute drive from Walton and a nice drive up US35 North. They have a 25,50,100 and 200 yard range with built in shooting benches with attached seats. The benches are under cover and on concrete. And it is all FREE. They are however closed on Mondays for repairs. Just my :twocents:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Deputy Big Shots in Deputy Indiana is $10 a day for both the upper range where you can shoot pistol or rifles up to 25 yards and the lower range, which has 100 to 500 yard berms.

Top Bottom