• ...and so much more!
  • j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    proves we need to stop these chases ASAP in some instances. We have lots of reinforced SWAT vehicles. All we need is a few remote-controlled dump trucks full of rock. Park 'em and smash the dude.

This is one of the reasons I am a huge proponent of the PIT maneuver. Someone as desperate as that joker was needs to be taken out ASAP. Not second guessing the Florida officers but I don't think the PIT would have been unreasonable there even at the high speeds. IMO Every agency should have the PIT maneuver in their policy with minimal restrictions on its use. The PIT can be learned with rather minimal training time with low cost, requires no alteration to vehicles and can still be used on modern vehicles that have "stable track" and other anti slide/spin features. Wile it is not the cure all for every pursuit it is a very effective option to have. FWIW many Indiana LE agency's have the PIT in their SOP's

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is one of the reasons I am a huge proponent of the PIT maneuver. Someone as desperate as that joker was needs to be taken out ASAP. Not second guessing the Florida officers but I don't think the PIT would have been unreasonable there even at the high speeds. IMO Every agency should have the PIT maneuver in their policy with minimal restrictions on its use. The PIT can be learned with rather minimal training time with low cost, requires no alteration to vehicles and can still be used on modern vehicles that have "stable track" and other anti slide/spin features. Wile it is not the cure all for every pursuit it is a very effective option to have. FWIW many Indiana LE agency's have the PIT in their SOP's
    It can easily be lethal force if performed at speeds above 55mph. I am PIT certified and have only PITed 1 car in my 7 years as a PIT car. I have tried many more times but I can tell you that doing so at 100 mph in the interstate could easily kill an innocent driver. For all those goofs commenting on that page about how the police did nothing to stop him, they would hang the officers if they PITed him out and he hit an innocent driver as a result. Typical "lose-lose" situation.

Wild Deuce

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    It can easily be lethal force if performed at speeds above 55mph. I am PIT certified and have only PITed 1 car in my 7 years as a PIT car. I have tried many more times but I can tell you that doing so at 100 mph in the interstate could easily kill an innocent driver. For all those goofs commenting on that page about how the police did nothing to stop him, they would hang the officers if they PITed him out and he hit an innocent driver as a result. Typical "lose-lose" situation.

The ignorance regarding what the police should or shouldn't have done is astounding in the comments section.

BTW ... You do have a button in every police cruiser ... police station ... dispatch ... hand held radio ... that will instantly shut down every intersection in the state in case of a police chase, don't you? :rolleyes:

Top Bottom