• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I caught this 20lb Striped Bass at Raccoon Lake today! I had 4 of my girls out in the boat today and we were mostly just running around bouncing on the waves like they always love to do. I decided to troll a little bit, just to see what might bite. First, I had a 5 or 6 pound channel cat, but I was using light tackle (fishing for white bass) and the line broke right at the boat. I then rigged a couple crank baits on heavier rods and trolled back where I caught the catfish. After passing through into deeper water, BOOM! This guy hit the lure! I was very careful fighting him and ultimately, my oldest girl netted him. I had to help her lift him into the boat. Anyway, the girls got a huge thrill. They've never seen a fish that size before, and it had been many years since I had, either. THis was a great way to spend Father's Day!

20140615_165202_zpse799pfva.jpg

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Btw, anyone have any good suggestions for batter mix for frying? There's LOTS of meat off this sucker! I'm not into spicey stuff, but suggestions are welcome. By brother suggests Andy's Fish Batter from Kroger.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've spent many a day over the years trying to bag one of these. You see millions of them on the fish finder at Raccoon Lake, but they are not that easy to catch, at least for me. I had one that was probably not quite this big on the line last August, but lost him right at the boat. The irony is that I got this guy when just messing around and not really trying very hard. I've seen the guides with their customers limiting out all the time, but I've just never figured out exactly what they were doing. I probably just got lucky on this one, but I'll take that any day!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We used to take breading to Canada every year but I can't remember what it is called, it came in a semi clear orange plastic bag. One year we ran out and I improvised by using beer and Bisquick with a little garlic salt thrown in. We never bought the bag stuff again and the Bisquick/beer batter makes fantastic onion rings as well.

ETA: Nice fish!! I'm gonna have to get out to Racoon Lake and try to catch a few of those monsters one of these days.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Nice catch! I bet that puppy was a fighter!

It's nice you got to share this moment with your daughters.

It really was. I usually just boat around with them. They aren't too patient for fishing. They went nuts as I was fighting this thing, though. It was about a 10 minute fight. It felt like forever. I thought I was going to lose him.

When they first saw it break the water by the boat, they were screaming with excitement. One of them yelled at the top of her lungs, "It's huge!!" I'll never forget seeing their faces when it dropped out of the net into the bottom of the boat!

Of course, now they want to go fishing again ASAP! One big fish changes the whole game for them. Now they understand what the reward can be for the patience.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Great photos, GREAT catch! :thumbsup:

I got the lemon and butter, PARTY at Principal Skinr's house! :laugh:

And Happy Fathers Day! Doesn't get much better than that. :yesway:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Btw, anyone have any good suggestions for batter mix for frying? There's LOTS of meat off this sucker! I'm not into spicey stuff, but suggestions are welcome. By brother suggests Andy's Fish Batter from Kroger.

I am not a fisherman, but for my tilapia I use lemon-pepper seasoning blended in flour to taste to dredge the fish after dipping it in egg. You can use most any spice you like this way and control how strong it is. Also significant is that the flour will form a thin coating which in my reckoning is preferable to a coating as thick as I would put on chicken. I could see this working with a number of different seasonings as you may prefer. If you want to go off the beaten path, I also like multicolored peppercorns and coriander ground fresh on most things. I have confidence in your ability to start with what you like and do a little experimentation. After all, you have enough fish for some variety in your seasonings! :):

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Congratulations on a great fish and a great day.

Slight threadjack, but is there any good/accessible shore fishing at Racoon? I've only been there once with a friend who has a boat many years ago, but my son and I are always searching for new water that we can access from shore that holds the possibility of large fish.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Congratulations on a great fish and a great day.

Slight threadjack, but is there any good/accessible shore fishing at Racoon? I've only been there once with a friend who has a boat many years ago, but my son and I are always searching for new water that we can access from shore that holds the possibility of large fish.

I think there are lots of places that would be good. There's a point to the southwest of the Raccoon State Recreation Area boat ramp that has a nice dropoff. I've caught just about every species of fish there just off the shore, usually trolling. You could easily walk over there and drop a line right off that dropoff. There are other good points around that recreation area where you can shore fish, as well. I also would consider the area around the dam.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I think there are lots of places that would be good. There's a point to the southwest of the Raccoon State Recreation Area boat ramp that has a nice dropoff. I've caught just about every species of fish there just off the shore, usually trolling. You could easily walk over there and drop a line right off that dropoff. There are other good points around that recreation area where you can shore fish, as well. I also would consider the area around the dam.

Cool, I'll have to check it out. I'll need to get out there and do some recon with the boy.

We may head out that way this Saturday and check it out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom