• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kriggo15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Southern IN
    I'm looking at picking up a Mosin 91/30 from AIM surplus and have a few questions.

The only rifle I have shot is the 10/22, so is this an ok gun to learn and practice with? Also, do I understand correctly that they do not manufacture ammo for it? If so, should I just buy as much as I can afford or is there still a huge stockpile out there that won't run out for a while?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The Mosin-Nagant really isn't a learner's rifle!

Why? Intense recoil. It can indeed make someone gun-shy and develop bad shooting habits and form.

yes, they're inexpensive. Yes, the ammo is also inexpensive.

But as your first "real rifle", personally, I'd suggest that you look at something else.

As to what else... I'll let the more experienced rifle shooters chime in!

-J-

fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    i have 2 mosins and they are nice guns if you work on them 1st either get a newer style stock or one of the aftermarket recoil pads the steel butt plate on original will definetly bruise your shoulder also compaired to a 22 or even a ar or ak they sound like a cannon going off i have a m44 which is a carbine and a 91/30 which is a long barreled version i sent both bolts out and had the handles changed so could scope them and put monte carlo stocks i really enjoy both guns i hope this has helped you

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    If you have funds available and just want a Mosin, go ahead and grab it because AIM sells really nice stuff, but for learning, I'd double up on what the others are saying.

If you look around you'll notice a lot of armies had .22LR trainer rifles.

Commercial ammo for the Mosin IS available, but the surplus is so much cheaper that no one talks about the commercial stuff very much.

For learning, I'd spend money getting an accurate rifle with a good trigger and one that "fits" you well - it needs to feel comfortable and natural when you're holding it or you may develop a lot of bad habits. A lot of European arms will feel too short, for example. Unless you're short too. ;)

If you're on limited funds, try a Marlin 60 and a big brick of ammo and go to an Appleseed?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I would not recommend a Mosin as your first rifle. I agree with what others have posted, and additionally, Mosins are surplus rifles and some need a bit of work; nothing major, but maybe not suited for the first time shooter. I got a Mosin to own a bit of history. Shoots good, but not my primary rifle.

thoffman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2010
    Muncie
    a mosin was my first rifle, its fun and cheap to shoot. they do make ammo for it but its about $14 for 20. so just buy surplus. yea its not the best rifle to learn the basics of shooting and has some recoil, but nothing that should scare any body away. i say buy it its a very simple rifle for less than 100 bucks.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Probably not the best learners rifle out there, but you should still get one. I guess you could call the recoil heavy...compared to a 10/22. Some of the ones I've seen in gun stores have been pretty rough, but AIM has some great stuff. I think, the cheap price of the surplus ammo and the rifle itself far outweighs the disadvantages. Just start out short range, say 25 yards. When you get the hang of it, move back to 50, then 100 and so on.

kriggo15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Southern IN
    Thanks for all of the info and suggestions. I would like to own a piece of history as well and thought I could kill 2 birds with one stone. Maybe I will pick one up to hold on to and start looking for a cheap 10/22.

Any other good chap ones out there besides the Marlin 60 mentioned for starters?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    OP. I would check out getting maybe a .223 or .17 hmr, to train with. Not much recoil and fun to shoot. Can be had at a decent price if you shop around for a nice used one.

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    If you want it, get it. You'll have to get used to it like any other rifle, but there is no better value on the market right now.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I also agree that a Mosin is probably not the best choice for a starter rifle. I shot mine for the first time this last weekend. It did not bother me, but I could feel my brain bouncing around inside my skull. It actually gave me a woody, when I shot it.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    If you bought a Mosin and didn't like it, you could always sell it and get your money back. Not really a learners gun. I would suggest that you shoot someone elses to see if you like it.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Hey, the first handgun I ever owned was a Ruger Super Redhawk .44 mag, so don't let the caliber bother you. It would probably be a good idea to start with a 10/22 or Marlin model 60, and I would say everyone NEEDS at least one of those rifles, but a Mosin Nagant is about the best value going right now, and the prices of them have gone up lately. Even if you get one to put away for awhile, you will still have one, so I say if you find a nice one, and AIM definetly has some nice nice ones, get it, and enjoy it!

By the way, the recoil on the 91/30s is NOT bad at all.

Oliver08

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Grant county,IN
    The hex receivers are believed to be stronger, but I dont know. I dont know if thats true or not. Never heard of any blowing up or breaking. I dont think the recoil is that bad compared to a shotgun or 308. If you think that you will ever ant one in the future get one now, the prices keep going up. As far as ammo availability I shoot a lot and 1000 rds will last a long time in a bolt gun. I would buy it now put it aay and as you learn move up to it, because they may be much more expensive when you are ready.

dpzj96

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    ECI
    I got a 91/30 at the last 1500 but haven't got around to shooting it yet. This weekend, I hope to unleash my inner Russian. :rockwoot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Recommendation: Get the Mosin. Also get a good .22LR such as a 10/22 (or another, your choice) Bring both with you when you come to an Appleseed to learn to shoot them. The skills we teach on the .22 carry over to other platforms as well, and both are just one hell of a lot of fun.

For more info, check the Appleseed forum here on INGO, the site at Appleseed Project Home, and/or click the oval in my signature and it will take you directly to the shoot schedule.

Blessings,
    Bill

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    you can get one but for the beginner id say get a recoil pad the guns are simple reliable and very fun to shoot once you buy one they multiply in numbers

kb66

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Noblesville
    A Mosin might be a little much as a starter rifle and with the recoil, you would not be able to shoot it too much before you started to feel it, one box of shells is enough for a lot of people. That being said, they are fun to shoot and inexpensive, so just get one.

After you have done that, get a rifle that you can shoot a lot so you can really work on your rifleman skills and the most economical rifle for that is a .22. A 10/22 is great rifle, also check with CDNN, they have the Winchester Wildcat on sale for $169.99. Good, accurate rifle with an adjustable trigger.

Top Bottom