• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    So I'm in the market for a 308. I'm looking at the savage trophy hunter and the savage axis II. I have also looked a bit at the Ruger American. I'm still leaning towards the trophy hunter. I guess I like the package the action is better than axis. The scope is decent Nikon 3-9 with a BDC rectical. Axis II does have the Accu trigger but the low end action. The Ruger isn't to bad either adjustable trigger. I've never **** a Ruger bolt gun so hard to tell about how it feels since I've never molested one. 600 dollar range is where I wat to be. Purpose of gun is not just target and not just hunting. So heavy barrel carrying around on a hunt not interested.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I would go with a ruger american in 308 or look into 6.5 creedmoor. The action is going to be much better and you should be able to put a vortex scope on there as well if you find a good deal on the rifle.

If you have any questions feel free to let me know.

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    So why the Ruger? I'm looking for some reasons not just cause I like savage or Ruger. I'm interested in the 6.5. Expensive round and 308 is readily available cheap as well as match rounds.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I'd go with the Trophy Hunter over the Axis. For factory barrels, you can't beat Savage and the Accutrigger is worth having over any other factory trigger.

Matt

GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    The trophy hunter and the axis II have the Accu trigger. Axis just doesn't have the same action. The packages also comes with different scopes. Axis comes with a weaver and trophy hunter comes with nikon

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I have one of the Dicks Sporting goods Savage model 11 specials. I got it less scope and put a Vortex on it. I don't want to let go of the Vortex but I'd consider letting go of the rifle and scope rail that is on it. If you were interested in it we could work out a deal.
    I have been considering posting it for sale for a couple months, just can't seem to make the effort as I'm not 100% sure I want to let it go.

Matt

ws6duramax

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Metamora
    One of my favorite bolt guns I own is a T/C Venture . It's the predator model , with a fluted sporter barrel and the trigger is very nice . I have it in a 204 ruger , and it will truly shoot damn near single hole groups. It is hands down the best shooting rifle I own and this is with factory ammo .

I'm also in the market for a 308 . I looked at and handled the ruger American , and I was kind of disappointed in it . I didn't really like the feel of the stock at all , just felt flimsy and cheap and just didn't handle very well for me . It gets good reviews but I didn't care for it .

I'm pretty sure when I purchase a 308 , it will probably be the T/C .

whoknows

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Warsaw
    I have one of those Dicks Sporting Goods Savage model 11vt and I like it a lot. Its not a .308, but its a .223. It has an accutrigger and a heavy barrel. It also uses the same detachable magazines like the axis. I did get rid of the scope and put a Vortex Viper on it.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    179   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I believe the Trophy Hunter "may" have a rebate if that makes a difference, their language concerning those models is conflicting on their form, their website & their facebook page. Savage has not responded to my requests for clarification.
    Savage Arms

deerslayer512

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 23, 2014
    Indianapolis
    I would definetly go with the ruger american. Its the most acurate rifle under 600 due to the integral bedding blocks and free floating barrel. The stock is nice and it has one of the nicest actions ive ever seen, better than a remington 700 action in my opinion. Boyds now makes a nice wood stock for 95 dollars for the american and makes it look very nice. The americans trigger is adjustable from 3-5 pounds and is one of the nicest triggers ive ever felt. There is no trigger creep or overtravel. The trigger is very crisp and the trigger greatly increases acurracy at range. Also if your looking into hunting with it i would look into getting one in 270 or 30-06

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I own an older savage so I don't know if it still holds true. Can you still just buy a different barrel for different calibers with the new Savages Like you could with the older models? I enjoy what I have but just asking. Go me, that would be a selling point.

Top Bottom