• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I finally found a scope I think would work nicely with my r700.

Its an ncStar, 6-24x50 with illuminated rangefinder, tactical turrets, and 30mm tube. for $130 I think its a good deal, plus I was highly impressed by one at the 1500. I think this would be a nice step up from my 4-16x40 with 1" tube tasco world class with the duplex pattern.

anyways, has anyone used a ncstar? I know its not a fabled Leupold or Burris, but it seems to be a nice scope for the money

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I bought one based on bang-for-buck ratio. In that context I am very happy with it.:yesway:

(I never expected it to compete with the fabled optics.)

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    I bought one based on bang-for-buck ratio. In that context I am very happy with it.:yesway:

(I never expected it to compete with the fabled optics.)

oh, its also one of the mark III scopes as well, so it has the slash cut front sun shade. Well, I just found one for $126 would that be a better scope for my 700 sps than the tasco world class 4-16x40 duplex?

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    You can spend your money once, or you can spend it multiple times figuring out what works and what doesn't. There is a saying that you should spend at least as much on your optics as you did on the rifle. There is a very good reason for that.

SKRSR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Some decent scopes around like that that probably serve most well. Personally I try to stick with brands with a high resell value........cause I'm a tightwad and trade a lot, lol.

steve

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I've never thought that any scope retains much resale value. The cheap scopes retain almost no value used, however. With scopes, you pretty much get what you pay for. Over the years, I've noticed that the average Joe doesn't want to pay more than $150-$200 for a scope. Serious target shooters, hunters, and professionals have no trouble sinking big bucks into a good scope. A lot of folks into accessorizing the AR and who own high end rifles will shell out big bucks for an Eotech or similar scope used by the military.

The cheap scopes don't hold up to repeated changing of the windage and elevation. They tend to wander over time and not hold zero. They don't hold up to moderate and heavy recoil. They are pretty dark compared to a decent scope. Sometime the crosshairs come loose. If you have very good uncorrected vision and you aren't going to change sight settings much and you are putting it on a low recoiling rifle, a cheap scope may work for you. However, you may find that you want to replace your cheap scope with a little better one after some time passes.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Mueller

I am a died-in-the-wool Bushnell fan but keep finding myself recommending the Mueller APV as the best you can get for your money. I've got 2 of them on HMRs and they are great. About $125 shipped from several places.

Heard nothing good about the NCStar.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    As a photographer I can tell you that good glass costs money. My good lenses cost well in excess of $1,000 and much more. The same holds true for scopes.

I have an ACOG that cost me a fortune that I love. I also have a Barska and some other no name brand and the difference is pretty easy to see. I think you basically get what you pay for.

7mmRM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Celestine , IN
    IMO, the best under $200 scopes are the Sightron S1 3x9x40 Mildot, and the Bushnell 3200 10X. For a little more the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 SF, mildot is a nice scope.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    I picked up a leupold VX-1 4-12 on ebay for $120 a while back. I'll take the less magnification but clearer optics. I got to compare side by side with a Barska and I'll take the leupold hands down.

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    what caliber is your rifle. cause the shock might knock out the reticle with an ncstar if its a hich enough caliberive gone through 3 scopes with my 30-06 and 308

Yamaha

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Summitville,IN
    its a remington 700 sps in 30-06.... so, basically the scope on it is probably better?...

The only leupold I want is well over a grand, so that isn't happening...

also, I don't really trade stuff off, I accumulate, my gun safe is evidence of that....

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    A Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 w/ the Rapid-Z 600 reticle could be done for around $500. Great glass and the reticle was designed by two very good shooters - John Pride and Mickey Fowler.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I have an NC Star 2x7 LER on my MKIII .22 and love it. At $50 it is a great scope for a .22, but I don't think it would hold up to a heavier recoil gun.

My Ruger Super Redhawk .480 wears a Burris 2x7 LER, and even with the relatively heavy recoil from this big bore handgun, I have never had it lose its zero.

For heavy recoil, you can't beat either Leupold, or Burris.

ruger7722

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    indy
    i have tried nc star and i think that tasco own them for awhile i had no luck with them the reticule broke from recoil from my 511 scoremaster

Top Bottom