• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I have read and read, and as I read more I get further lost, 1:7 or 1:8, crome lined barrel or stainless barrel, forged or machined lower..... ARFcom hates M4 and vice versa. Ok here is what I really want to know, I am looking for a 16" mid length with a full quad rail. I have been looking at DD, LMT, Spikes, and BCM. Would I be ok with any of these manufacturers and what could be the down sides to any of these manufacturers? :dunno:

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I prefer BCM due to past experiences.

That said, all the mfgs you mentioned are good to go.

Just find the upper with the specs you desire and buy it.

JML

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Southside
    Out of the couple companys you've named i'd go with a spikes.Nothing against the others but you get alot more for alot less with spikes and the quality is there also.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Have you considered building your AR instead of buying an already completed one?

I have thought about it but I don't have any of the tools necessary and if I am confused now I can't imagine what choosing individual parts would do to my noggin.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    What are you wanting to do with the rifle?

Any idea how you want it to look besides having a rail?

It will be moslty a range/plinker I do want it to be fairly accurate 2-3" groups at 100yds would be great. Yeah the quadrail is mostly for looks, I also want a flat top upper as well. I like alot of the magpull furniture and am leaning toward the CTR stock but I am not set either way. All black as well not into the desert colors or camo.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    Yeah I have my budget pegged around $1000-1500 that is what led me to the manufactures listed. They all have about what I am looking for in and around that price.

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    In your budget you could get a nice Rock River .....

If your down south come see me . I will be glad to show you several , and go over a few things with you .

Can probably put you into a pretty good one well within your range ..

I work at

Orion Arms Corp
    Jeffersonville .

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    In your budget you could get a nice Rock River .....

If your down south come see me . I will be glad to show you several , and go over a few things with you .

Can probably put you into a pretty good one well within your range ..

I work at

Orion Arms Corp
    Jeffersonville .

I will have to take you up on that, But you are actually east of me, I am in eville.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I just got mine a few weeks ago, I went with DPMS that I got a good deal on. But I will build my next one after seeing how easy it would be and fun,lol. Only advise I can give would be read, read, read, and ask a bunch of questions. Then make your choice, Good luck!

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Thanks for the post Snowrs. I have a few bills I need to take care of but by mid summer intend to buy my first AR. You are asking the same questions that I had.

Yukon227

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 15, 2011
    Henry County
    I picked up an M&P Sport in February. For what I use it for (mostly plinking...targets, an occasional possum) it's great. It has a flat top receiver and I think I'll wind up putting the 4 rail forearm on it eventually. I went pretty cheap on mine because I know that I will clean it when I'm done shooting, I will keep it oiled and lubed, and I'm not using it on a daily basis.....at least not til the zombies get here

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Colt sp6920. Its the gold std and it will hold its value if you don't like the platform. And owning a colt pisses people off. Lolz

eta: i didnt fully read all the posts because i using my phone. but if a midlength is what you want, spike's or even the PSA is a great deal. I'd wait until AIM gets the midlength uppers in and then I'd buy or build a lower from any number of companies. ymmv no prancing ponies in midlength, so no go there. :)

Last edited:

Haikufunk

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    With your budget being that high you could get a nice Colt, Daniel Defense, or Noveske. Personally, I would recommend that you "buy once, cry once." If might regret not buying quality a couple of months down the road. Do not forget about CMMG either. They tend to make decent ARs.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    No offense meant by this, but if you don't know those answers yet, you're not ready to buy. At least half the fun of buying an AR is figuring out exactly what you want. I read and read, agonized and read some more. It was a lot of fun. You only get to open the box it come in once. Research, learn, post and know exactly what you want when you buy it.

Or, buy one, play with it, and then buy another later. No wrong way about it.

Ant-ic-pay-yay-shun.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    No offense taken, but I actually think it might be the exact opposite. I am an engineer by proffesion and anal by nature. I tend to overanalyze everything by nature. So for instance I Liked the RRA but found out that they have a 1:9 twist and in my mind I don't want to limit my selection of ammo so I ruled them out. I them started reading about NiB treated components and the fact they can run longer without oiling and are easier to clean. Well that would be nice but is it $125 nice? Stainless barrels are more accurate but heavier and more costly, is it worth the upgrade to me. I hate buying more than once and don't want to have that sinking should have bought that feeling. Also we are all on budgets and have to make trade offs and knowing what those are without having owned one for a personality likeme is bad. So I came here to see what rational minded people thought. Those other forums are full ofvery passionate people but are also very minutiae minded.

Top Bottom