Looking at shoulder holsters......Boy am I confused!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    The more I look for a shoulder holster, the more confused I get! I would like a Galco or similar design. Will be carrying a full size 1911 or P345 Ruger. I am hoping that either will fit the holster.......Quality, but yet affordable.......are they out there guys? Uncle Mike's has not been a very good fit for me with any of their products I have tried, FWIW...so I am leery of even trying them.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Just responding to your title... Yes you are confused if you are even thinking about a shoulder holster.

Now in all seriousness, is there a reason you are thinking you want a shoulder holster? Concealed carry? Honestly if you carry barrel to the rear the gun prints pretty bad unless you are wearing a pretty baggy coat or jacket, and if you carry muzzle down it is pretty difficult to draw.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Now in all seriousness, is there a reason you are thinking you want a shoulder holster? Concealed carry? Honestly if you carry barrel to the rear the gun prints pretty bad unless you are wearing a pretty baggy coat or jacket, and if you carry muzzle down it is pretty difficult to draw.
    That's pretty much my experience too.
    I think blackhawk makes one, I've had good experience with their other products.
    I had a galco, notice HAD one. Didn't use it as much as I thought I would, decent for winter time but unless you wear a jacket all the time it's not really practical YMMV.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i have the galco MC II for a 1911 and glock. the rig is very comfortable, as i have carried a government 1911 for over 8 hours without any discomfort. The printing depends on clothing and the size of the gun. my 26 doesn't print as much and my 17 for example.

i pretty much only use the rig for carrying a bug (g17 on the hip and 26 in the MC), though I have worn it as primary while wearing a suit. the draw is slow, but it beats being totally unarmed.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I generally only wear a shoulder holster if I am going to be in & out of a vehicle all day, mostly because it's hard for me to draw from an OWB or IWB holster while wearing a seatbelt & it's easy to forget about / leave a handgun in the vehicle's center console.

So while I am not a huge fan of wearing shoulder holsters they do fill a niche, anyway the only ones that I actually like are the Galco jackass/miami classic ones.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    Yeah..... I am in and out of vehicles ALL the time, and it's just a hassle. I have tons of IWB and OWB holsters, just looking for a winter carry plan!

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I have a Mernickle for car days, and love it. Para on the left, mags on the right, may not be in your budget range, but worth every penny.

fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    i to don`t care for uncle mikes i like leather so bernachi ,galco or safariland i carry my llama 1911 or baretta 92 i prefer vertical holsters as opposed to the horizontal just my preference we are all different

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    This could end up an entirely different thread, but.........

What do you all prefer for concealed carry? For the smaller pistols I have, I use a pocket holster, but that isn't gonna fit my 1911 or P345 . It also is too small for my AMT backup 45.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    This could end up an entirely different thread, but.........

What do you all prefer for concealed carry? For the smaller pistols I have, I use a pocket holster, but that isn't gonna fit my 1911 or P345 . It also is too small for my AMT backup 45.

The comp-tac type hybrid holsters (part leather part kydex) are very popular and seem to conceal full size guns pretty well. I am a fan of the Raven Phantom series, but I am able to use it IWB where as some report it is too uncomfortable to wear IWB. I use the phantom for my G22, a Bladetech IWB for my 1911 (for now, I may pick up another raven) and I am looking into a hybrid type holster for my Kel-tec P11.

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN
    I can hear the music playing now! LOL But yes......that's what I am looking for! Maybe........I am thinking there may be a better way to cc with a larger framed pistol.

Top Bottom