• ...and so much more!
  • deo62

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Peru
    after initial breakin period (couple of hundred rounds) mine runs flawless, very accurate, also very heavy, mine is the classic swat model with rail forearm, others are probably lighter, i use sig, brownell, magpul and other off brand mags and it doesnt seem to care feeds perfect, folding collapsable stock also a plus

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    The best way to see if you'll like one is to buy a Sig 522 and get the feel of the gun for a few months.

Then, sell it to me at a deep, deep discount and get your 556 :)

All Available

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    I got a Sig 556 when they came out, brand new from Sportsman's Warehouse at the sticker price of $999.

It ran fine, but it offered nothing, IMO, over an AR or AK.

Check out an Arsenal 106fr before you lay down any bills for the Sig -

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    I like mine they are the original swat models. Front heavy for sure but mine have been 100% reliable. Many people don't like the sig factory mags. Like mkelsey said buy now and get a $300.00 rebate fron sig. The 556's have had their share of quality probs if you get a good one you will like it. Go to sigarms556.com for more info.

Jstier

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    SW Fort Wayne
    Thank you guys for all the info and feed back.
    I knew about the rebate, that's why im looking to buy.
    I already have a Sig 522. I haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.
    I'm looking at a 556 HOLO MSRP $1899. shop is wanting $1250 minus rebate = $950.
    It has a nonfolding CAR style collapsible stock, Flip up front and rear sights w a red dot style holographic sight.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    The price for the Holo model sounds good. Not sure about the irons on the new sigs but the old ones were pretty useless and don't expect much from Sig's chinese red dot sight. $950.00 sounds good to me. That is a lot less than what i paid.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    Jstier : Be sure to replace the flat-head screw pivot pin with a KNS Push Pin. It makes take down and cleaning of the 556 much easier.
    It will also allow you to take the upper off of the lower without any tools.
    The pin is about $20 and its the best mod you can do for the 556.

kns556.jpg

Why SIG went with the flat-head screws is....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I love my Sig 556. I have THE Original model; the first one to roll out of production. I waited just long enough to let them clean up their QC problems and then I pulled the trigger. I'm very happy with mine. It'll eat anything I feed it. To be honest, I think it is the only gun in my collection that has never had any form of malfunction and I've run several thousand rounds through it.

Underpowered ammo? Just bump the gas setting up to the adverse setting. I had a friend with over 1k rounds of ammo that he accidentally loaded light, and it wouldn't cycle his AR. The 556 on the adverse setting ate it up just fine. Free ammo :rockwoot:

+1 to the Holosight being junk and the factory irons being useless. Sig just can't seem to figure out how to get the "junk" out of their guns. But still a good price. I paid $1200 for mine about 5 months after they started production, and demand was still sort of high.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I have owned one now for slightly over 2 years and am overall very satisfied with it. I've put probably around 1500 rds through it w/o any problems. I paid 1399 plux tax for mine for the very basic model when they first came out. Very solid rifle and I am glad I bought it. Only regret they've dropped in price and are now quite a bit cheaper.

2 minor downsides:
    1) Weight: it is very front heavy and shooting in a standing position with no support gets tiresome.
    2) It is kind a tough to clean the inside of the upper receiver thoroughly. May be my hand/fingers are just too big

Just my:twocents:

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Have had one for about two years now, got it used. I've run all kinds of ammo through it with no hiccups. Everyone has given great info here. I don't really like its front-heavy tendency, but its reliability makes up for that IMHO. Put an ACOG on mine and can accurately engage out to 500 meters...

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    I love my Sig 556. I have THE Original model; the first one to roll out of production. I waited just long enough to let them clean up their QC problems and then I pulled the trigger. I'm very happy with mine. It'll eat anything I feed it. To be honest, I think it is the only gun in my collection that has never had any form of malfunction and I've run several thousand rounds through it.

Just for info. Sig had some quality control problems in 2009 and some 2009 models are experiencing excessive bolt wear

Here is a thread on the topic and affected serial number ranges
    SIG 556 :: View topic - Check your 556 for wear/damage to the carrier

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    I've owned mine for over two years and its has ran flawless for me.
    It is a bit front heavy but if you put a VFG on it for standing its not that bad.
    Shooting from a bench is very accurate.

Takedown and cleaning is very simple once you replace the flathead pivot screws with a push pin one.
    Its very easy to clean when you can separate the upper from the lower completly.
    A .223 Otis cleaning kit with some Weapon Sheild CLP makes cleaning and care simple.
    My 556 fires any ammo I've put through it (Surplus and factory ammo).

I have a Trijicon Optic on mine with an ARMS mount, just remember to put the levers on the left side otherwise it can get in the way of the charging handle.

Top Bottom