• ...and so much more!
  • jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    :welcome:

Get a Ruger MK3. It likes almost any ammo, it is one of the best at the range. This is gun will teach you to shoot better, without spending $'s on more expensive ammo. oh, and I like the trigger.

I have to agree. Best .22 pistols made (reliability wise) are the Rugers. Your great grandchildren will be handing them down.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    There are many great .22 pistols out there. I love the .22 lr! Cheap to feed all day! :rockwoot:

P22, GSG 1911, Sig, Browning Buckmark, Ruger MK series, S&W 22A

I personally own a P22. I have had it for many years and put around 30,000 rounds through her. It eats about anything and is a nice shooter.

As far as your question about putting a .9mm or .45 slide on a .22 frame, I do not know of any manufacturer that offers this. There are however many companies that offer .22 lr conversion kits for certain guns. I know there are some out there for Glocks, Sigs, 1911s...

Couple questions: what is your carry gun? Are you wanting your .22 to resemble it in any way for training purposes?
    If you carry an M&P for example S&W makes an M&P .22 lr. If you carry a 1911 then the GSG would be a good route to take. If you carry a Walther then the P22 is a good choice. If Glock is your carry gun then they offer converion kits for Glocks. There is also the ISSC which is a Glock clone. Only difference is it has a hammer and a safety. I have put many rounds through an ISSC and am very impressed with it. I am a Glock guy and carry a Glock so it just feels right to me. All of the controls are the same as my carry gun.

If you are not concerned with it resembling your carry gun then any of the choices you listed are good to go. Good luck with your decision. :ingo:

I carry my Glock 26 in my CrossBreed Supertuck every day. I considered the conversion kit. Advantages would be more trigger time with my carry gun. But the disadvantage is that for the same price as the conversion kit I could have whole other gun instead of half of one. I just looked at the ISSC online. I might be interested. Does it have the same trigger feel as a glock and what kind of ammo does it like or not like? Any problems with fte or ftf? Price?

MJ45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    I have a Buckmark that is a great shooter. Never had any problems with it and it eats anything.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I carry my Glock 26 in my CrossBreed Supertuck every day. I considered the conversion kit. Advantages would be more trigger time with my carry gun. But the disadvantage is that for the same price as the conversion kit I could have whole other gun instead of half of one. I just looked at the ISSC online. I might be interested. Does it have the same trigger feel as a glock and what kind of ammo does it like or not like? Any problems with fte or ftf? Price?

The trigger feel is pretty close to the same to me. I really enjoy the gun. They recommend using 40 grain CCI minimags to break it in for the first few hundred rounds. The one I shoot was broke in with the minimags and now eats the Federal bulk pack ammo just fine. It has a failre to fire every once in awhile, but no more than I have encountered with other rimfire handguns. I'm sorry I don't remember the price at the moment, but I believe they are around the same price as a p22. With me being a Glock guy and carrying a Glock I really like the ISSC.

I am not sure where you are located, but if you are anywhere near the Fort Wayne area let me know and we could arrange a meetup at a range and you could try one out. I can also help you get a great deal on one up here.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    The trigger feel is pretty close to the same to me. I really enjoy the gun. They recommend using 40 grain CCI minimags to break it in for the first few hundred rounds. The one I shoot was broke in with the minimags and now eats the Federal bulk pack ammo just fine. It has a failre to fire every once in awhile, but no more than I have encountered with other rimfire handguns. I'm sorry I don't remember the price at the moment, but I believe they are around the same price as a p22. With me being a Glock guy and carrying a Glock I really like the ISSC.

I am not sure where you are located, but if you are anywhere near the Fort Wayne area let me know and we could arrange a meetup at a range and you could try one out. I can also help you get a great deal on one up here.

I'm actually from Bloomington, so a little south from where your at. I appreciate the offer though. I have a friend of mine who is a gunsmith I might see if he might be able to get ahold of one for me to check out. I might also see if anyone has one at the range meeting next week. I've never seen one in person only online.

I also went to the gun shop today and checked out the ruger mark II. I am impressed and with the barrel as this as what that is has to be a tack driver. I can see why they are used for competition. I might have to buy two 22lr pistols now!

Davegrave

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 16, 2011
    Hammond, IN
    I know this is gonna come out crazy...to pick a gun based on an accessory for it...

But look at the list of magazines that are compatible with this: McFadden Ultimate Clip Loader 22 Cal Pistol Mag Loader Polymer Clear

And buy one of those guns. My dad has a Walther P22 and he loves it. But everytime he's next to me loading his mag round by round and I"m zipping thru a box of .22's as fast as I can pull the trigger he wishes he'd bought one that worked with it.

There's a lot of great pistols to choose from, so it's not like you're stuck with a dud or anything.

762minigun

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indianapolis SS BG
    The GSG's are made of zinc alloy. Seen pics of the slides splitting. Sig's where the whole front of the slide falls off. Have seen Walther's that wont eat anything..
    If you want a serious .22 LR pistol. Get a Ruger Mark series pistol.

If you want a toy, build one of these.
    013-1.jpg

008-1.jpg

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    Put me down as another happy owner of Ruger mkIIs.

I also have an Umarex Colt 1911 .22 that I'm really really enjoying. It's been flawless through 350 rounds. There are so many fine options to choose from!

DSC02520.jpg

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I own 2
    Sig mosquito great little pistol but very picky on ammo CCI mini mag cycles the best from my experience
    Browning buckmark best shooting pistol I own. Will shoot any ammo and its a tack driver.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Put me down as another happy owner of Ruger mkIIs.

I also have an Umarex Colt 1911 .22 that I'm really really enjoying. It's been flawless through 350 rounds. There are so many fine options to choose from!

DSC02520.jpg

What's the trigger like on the Umarex Colt 1911 22 and what is the price on one of those. Looks very much like the GSG. Interesting that on their website they mention "German Quality." GSG manufactured the SIG as well.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    What's the trigger like on the Umarex Colt 1911 22 and what is the price on one of those. Looks very much like the GSG. Interesting that on their website they mention "German Quality." GSG manufactured the SIG as well.

I got mine at the 1500 this summer from Midwest Gun Exchange for $359. I think it's got a decent trigger on it, it is a SA 1911 after all!

That "German quality" is there as it's made by Walther. :)

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I went looking for a S&W 22A, and I found it, and bought it. But under the counter was this sweet AR pistol, the S&W M&P15-22P. Apparently, it is exactly like the hugely successful, and ultra reliable M&P15-22 (S&W's AR15 dedicated .22LR rifle). It is surprisingly accurate, fun as hell, and a great place to stick all your spare AR15 accessories! I've added a single point sling, laser (so I can shoot accurately from the hip), and my Eotech has found a home on it for now. The best part is that it is threaded for silencer. In fact, I just got a fake silencer, and it looks and feels great, although it is nothing more than a barrel extender. By far the funnest 22 I've ever conceived. I plan on getting a real silencer next year for it.

negb34.jpg

29kouap.jpg

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I Personally would get something with a threaded barrel already. I love my P22. When I got it, I wasn't even planning for a can, but it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Getting a 22 supressor is well worth the money and effort especially if you have a 22 rifle that is or can be threaded too.

Just something to think about for the future. Like I said, when I got my 22's I had no idea I'd eventually go down the NFA road but I'm so glad I did.

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I Personally would get something with a threaded barrel already. I love my P22. When I got it, I wasn't even planning for a can, but it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Getting a 22 supressor is well worth the money and effort especially if you have a 22 rifle that is or can be threaded too.

Just something to think about for the future. Like I said, when I got my 22's I had no idea I'd eventually go down the NFA road but I'm so glad I did.

I have a few .22 rifles. I've always had an interest in getting a supressor, but I don't know much about them. My carry gun is 9mm. Is it possible to just buy a supressor for 9mm and use it on 22lr as well or would it not work due to the baffles being too spread out? If I were to look into a supressor do you have recommendations of a good one?

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Ok went to the range today and met up with a buddy of mine who has a Mk IV with a bull barrel. I really liked the trigger, I was able to shoot very accurate with it, and the action is great. I might end up buying two 22lr pistols. A Mk and a gsg 1911 22. My wife is wanting to get into shooting and carrying. She wants a xd 9mm sc for her carry piece. But I thought I could let her carry a 22 for a few weeks to make sure the xd isn't going to collect dust on her night stand. Any thoughts?

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Just keep in mind, you buy a Mosquito, a GSG, a Bersa 22, a Walther P22, what you got is what you get.

HOWEVER, you buy a Ruger or a Buck Mark and the sky is the limit on customizations. The aftermarket has tons of parts and crap you can put on these. Basically, they're like a starter platform that you can customize to your hearts content.

Because these two are what serious .22lr shooters use for competition, everything from optics to grips to barrels and compensators is available.

I would like to add a slight correction to this...

The GSG1911 is a true 1911 for the entire loser receiver. This means that it can be customized with all of the other great 1911 parts available for things like custom triggers, MSH's, hammers, sears/disconnectors, and grips. The barrel is threaded for compensators or suppressors. The slide is dove-tailed for a myriad of aftermarket sights, and the whole package is quite accurate out of the box. I don't think that many other pistols can match the 1911 for aftermarket customizations.

My GSG1911 has had quite a few modifications done like, a reworked hammer and sear, Hogue grips, and a S&W flat MSH. The trigger is set to 3.5 bls, and breaks as crisply as my SA Custom 1911. Mine just passed the 20,000 round mark this past week, and is as accurate as when it was new.

GSG1911 25 Yard Targets:
    gsg1911bench25yards.jpg

Now, back to your regularly scheduled handgun debate...

Last edited:

GlockZ

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Wow! That's impressive! I really like the looks of it and how it's a true 1911 and fully customizable. I would just change the grips and shoot it until it falls apart, which after seeing the quality of the gun would be a very long time.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

I thought about the ISSC for a couple of minutes, but then I picked up an AA kit for my Glock 27.

I like the idea of all the controls being the exact same and not having an external hammer/safety, etc and potentially different trigger pull.

I've only had my AA kit out a couple of times as I just got it a bit back and picked up a 15-22 at the same time (to mimic my AR) and the 15-22 is getting most of my attention currently. The AA kit has performed well and I don't regret it at all.

I do need to pick up more mags for it.

I too was a bit skeptical about the cost and it not being a complete gun, but being able to shoot the one my brother in FL had this summer convinced me on the AA kit.

I am interested in the M&P handgun 22 and would go that route if I were going to make the switch to carrying an M&P pistol, but with the investment in Glock (I have 2 others) mags, holsters, and now AA kit, I'm staying where I am for now, although gglass's reviews and posts about his GSG have convinced me that if I ever pick up another 1911 that it will be the GSG.

Top Bottom