• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I took my daughter to the range and my 9mm was a bit too much for her. I'd like to get something she will like to shoot. Not necessarily limited to .22 but since this will be a range only gun, I was thinking I'd go all the way down the scale. Your suggestions are appreciated.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I've got to agree with the Ruger 22/45. Dependable, accurate and not too expensive. I've got one I bought when they first came out and I won't part with it.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Do it before his first trip to the range. I hope I haven't blown it with my daughter by putting her off with too big of a gun.

I'm glad I saw this post, we're just in time, we have not gone yet, but he has seen youtube of people shooting guns and the gun kicking out of their hand or smacking them in the head and he told me that he did not think he could shoot a gun, but I assured him that he could shoot a .22 and will love it.

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    The following are all good choices:

Walther p22
    S&W 22a
    Beretta Neos
    Browning Buckmark
    Ruger Mark III
    Sig Mosquito

I personally prefer the Browning but they are all good pistols. The Sig and Walther are fun but they aren't as good for target shooting. It also depends on how much you are looking to spend. I personally own the Browning Buckmark and have owned the Walther p22 and I have fired all of the guns I mentioned. I also have to note that the Ruger is a very very nice gun but it is very expensive too when compared to some other alternatives. For your daughter I might select the S&W 22a.

Hope this helps.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Ruger here too. I was just thinking of a Ruger that my grandma's beau gave to my dad, with instructions to pass it to me, many years ago. One of the best men I ever met. Jack Kugler. Heck of a guy. Anyhoo, was just thinking of that old standard the other day, and thinking of borrowing it for a little plinking. It's a pleasure to shoot, accurate as all get out, great trigger, the only downside is it's a 40+ year old gun and not quite broken in yet.. little bit stiff and tight. But a real work of American art.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    BUCKMARK :yesway: BUCKMARK :yesway:. Rugers make good paper weights. In all honestly every Ruger I have seen while at the range malfunctioned. My Dad, and I both own Bucmmarks, and they both have been flawless. I paid $360 for mone last year.

001.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I'm another Ruger fan!:thumbsup: I have one that is over 40 years old, and I love to take it out and have fun. It is accurate, and easy to shoot. The only malfunction I've ever had was trying to feed it hollow points. She doesn't digest those well, but give it round nose ammo, and it will shoot all day!

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    155   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    .22 pistols

The Buckmark is a great pistol but only comes with 1 mag and no scope rail. Extras are hard to find and expensive. Walther P22 is good if you want to mount a suppressor and not spend a lot of money doing it. Smith 22a =good firearm but mags are hard to come by and the mag release is in an awkward place. Wouldn't own a Sig Skeeter if given to me, They are extremely picky about ammo. These are some of the reasons I own Rugers, 2mags straight from the factory, mags readily available, scope mount included so if I want to mount optics It is ready, and I have never had any problems with any that I have every bought new or used. Yes they are a little more expensive but you hardly ever see them back up for resale.:twocents:

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    I have a Sig Arms Trailside .22 that I use occassionally in my classes with younger shooters. It is a very comfortable gun to shoot - even among .22s - and it's molded grip is great for kids. I do have to say that it can be very finicky with ammo - it HATES lead ammo - and I've spent a lot of time polishing the feeding ramp. With FMJ ammo, it does just fine.

The .22 that my young students love to shoot the most is actually a Taurus 9-shot revolver. It is amazingly accurate, can be fired either SA or DA, and - obviously - it is 100% reliable. (In my experience, several of the .22 semi-autos are prone to feeding or ejection problems.)

Last edited:

GuyRelford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Zionsville
    BUCKMARK :yesway: BUCKMARK :yesway:. Rugers make good paper weights. In all honestly every Ruger I have seen while at the range malfunctioned. My Dad, and I both own Bucmmarks, and they both have been flawless. I paid $360 for mone last year.

001.jpg
    Yep, I have to agree that the Buckmark is probably the nicest - and most reliable - .22 semi-auto out there with a reasonable price point.

RCB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Bedford
    Amen on the Rugers. Best pistol I have ever shot with regards to accuracy and reliability. How I wish they would make some in larger calibers. You do have to watch what ammo you shoot out of them. I can't remember which ones, but there were some cheap ammos that didn't feed right, but most of your standard stuff was fine. I shoot Remington's out of it for the most part and has always done well. Thousands of rounds through mine and still works great. Mine came from my father (I remember when he bought it... it was more or less for me to shoot as well) and is about 25 years old.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom