• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    For coyotes at 200 yards, a 308 is tremendous overkill.

I'd just use my AR with a red dot. (If it ever gets here.)

I know the 308 is overkill but doesn't that make it more fun?:D

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Please keep them coming. I am considering everything, just leaning towards semi-autos at the current time. Still 6 months out from purchase but want to have an idea what I'm saving towards.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    DO NOT try a SA M1A. You will want one if you do.

:yesway: True.

NOT bank account friendly NIB. Safe to buy used because they're rock solid... Unless it has had 1M rounds through it and was buried in a creek for 10 years...... dunno, even then I'd put money down that you could vaporize a yote head at 200 yds...

Just sayin....

Edit: And yes, I meant to say head because they'll hit something the size of yote's head at 200 yds...

Last edited:

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    Not to high jack your thread but I too am looking for about the same thing. AR-10 either by Armalite or DPMS or the SA M1A. Looking for reliability and devastation or oomph if you want to call it that. For me it's just a toy though.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    I have no experience with the OBR in .308 but it will be my next rifle purchase. I love my LaRue stealth in 5.56 so I am convinced I will be very happy with this.

larue.jpg

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    DPMS LR-AP4 .308 is a good rifle . Wish I didn't sell it now .

Factory mags SUCKED but PMAGS ran flawless , you can also get a 50 rnd drum for it AND I'm pretty sure the slide fire stock works on it also .

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I just recently picked up an DPMS LR308 Classic. Haven't had a chance to set it up yet, but most reviews are favorable, and the price seemed reasonable as well. (at least compared to an M1A. ) I like the setup due to the fact that it can be used with the carry handle/ fixed sights for killin' zombies and such, or remove the carry handle and install scope for yote killin' and long range plinkin'. I'm planning on a Larue QD scope mount . I picked up a Nitrex (by Weaver) scope on clearnce at Natchez that I plan on using. 6x20x50 if I recall. Hoped to have it up and shooting by now, but schedule has been crazy. By the time it's set up I should be around the $1400 mark for everything.

Gator762

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    For a semi-auto for the price AR10 is had to beat on accuracy. Bolt gun Savage are about good as they get out of the box accuracy for the price.

Cozy439

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Milan Center
    I fear I am coming down with a similar affliction. I have been looking to buy a .308 - I own some Rock River Arms products already and have always been pleased. Does anyone have knowledge of RRA .308's? Nothing is carved in stone and a SWAT Sniper is pushing me to a Remington 700 platform. Not to be outdone, another member of the team wants me to do the RRA just so he can try it and decide if he wants one too. I know 95% of this decision is based on personal opinion and taste - cuz there are MANY right ANSWER to "WHAT GUN DO I NEED NEXT?" Any input is appreciated. Just give more guidance please, or ESPECIALLY any CAUTIONS for Valid reasons or what NOT TO DO, based on prior bad decisions. Thanks.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    I fear I am coming down with a similar affliction. I have been looking to buy a .308 - I own some Rock River Arms products already and have always been pleased. Does anyone have knowledge of RRA .308's? Nothing is carved in stone and a SWAT Sniper is pushing me to a Remington 700 platform. Not to be outdone, another member of the team wants me to do the RRA just so he can try it and decide if he wants one too. I know 95% of this decision is based on personal opinion and taste - cuz there are MANY right ANSWER to "WHAT GUN DO I NEED NEXT?" Any input is appreciated. Just give more guidance please, or ESPECIALLY any CAUTIONS for Valid reasons or what NOT TO DO, based on prior bad decisions. Thanks.

RRA 308's seem to have very postive reviews. I went DPMS due to mag compatibilty with my POF.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    DPMS

I just sold a DPMS .308 oracle NIB and I still own one like it. 5.56 stocks and pistol grips interchange with the .308. I think the triggers will interchange also. I also have a Savage heavy bbl model 10 in the choate stock F/S currently. It shoots well but I just bought a Remmy 700 for a project gun. I used the Oracle at 42769vette's three gun shoot and was killing the silhouette at 700 yds and I think we could have done it farther. I like it well enough that I'm thinking of a Douglas heavy bbl, free float handguard and a suppressor for it.:D
    DPMS308.jpg

It wears a 6500 elite bushnell now. Aimpoint is on my AR15.

IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    One more for the Savage Model 10 if going for a bolt gun. Mine is an FLCP-K and shoots wonderfully. The farthest I have shot it is 810 yards and it shot a nice cloverleaf. Well, the bullet splatter made the cloverleaf not the bullet holes. Great gun. I am very happy with it.

Birdstrike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    What about the Browning BAR in 308? Heard nothing but good things about these guns and they feel solid/ well built.

warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    i too have been looking for a decent .308 bolt gun. right now 770 and the savage are what im considering, both seem to have good reviews, hope you find what your looking for
    i had a 770 in 308 but didnt like it to well... The stock was kinda cheap and it had a sticky bolt in fact on more than one occation during the same firing stream i had to flip it over and pound it with my palm to get the action open

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield
    m1a socom II packs a huge punch can reach out to 500 easy and is a sexy weapon. little heavy towards the fore end, put i threw a grip and a rest on mine and it's awesome.

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    Here is my quick and dirty having owned/own most of the suggested rifles

M1A-Classic rifle with poor scope mounting options. Great shooter, once you have the rifle it's hard to sell because it's so plesant to shoot.

HK style-Heavy, loud, sights suck, and expensive. Mags are cheap. I sold mine off.

Armalite-Solid rifle that lost the .308 mag war. I sold mine due to that fact.

DPMS-Good rifles capable of sub MOA accuracy. I watched patience's rifle hit out to 700 yards. I had a fluted 24" that was incredibly accurate AND HEAVY. The AR style charging handle is a pain on a .223 it is HORRIBLE on a .308. Heavier spring=harder pull on that horrible piece of engineering called a charging handle. Fit and finish is OK on these rifles. Triggers aren't as bad as people say they are. Mags are 19 bucks.

SCAR H-The best of everything with the worst of nothing. I'm not saying this because I have one either. Right after I shot the SCAR L I knew I'd never buy another AR again. Mags are expensive, hard to find and the $2500+ rifle only comes with one. Very light until you put a loaded mag into it. Gas piston operated. Ambi charging handle. Light. Accurate. Made in Belgium. Winner, hands down.

Top Bottom