• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RoosterJC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Carmel, IN
    I currently carry 9mm, but considering 45 (I'm getting to old to pull the trigger more than once).
    What do you think is the best 45 for carry, best for at home (if different from carry) and why?

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Whatever gun you're currently used to shooting, but in a different caliber. If you carry M&P9, go M&P...if you carry a Glock 19, go G21 or G30.

Otherwise go 1911 cuz churchmouse said so.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Pulling the trigger more than once no matter if it be a .22lr or a 500SW doesn't matter when you put that round in the right place.

You can shoot someone 15 times with a .45 and it wont kill them if it doesn't hit anything vital.

Plus modern projectile and load science make 9mm and .45acp pretty close ballistically, when you're using a quality JHP with the right load behind it.

For an all in one .45 though.... I'd look into the H&K USP .45 Compact. If that's out of your budget, The Glock 30S or 30SF is an awesome gun, as well as the S&W M&P45c with an APEX trigger.

You will not get more reliable double stacks than the three above IMO.

RoosterJC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Carmel, IN
    Good input, and pretty much what I wanted to confirm.
    Glocks are what I currently carry, and the G30 is physically only slightly larger than the G26 but has the same trigger pull and travel as the 26, so that upgrade would be seamless. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking the best, but seeing the G30 in Spalding's top 3 works!

DocHoliday

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Pulling the trigger more than once no matter if it be a .22lr or a 500SW doesn't matter when you put that round in the right place.

You can shoot someone 15 times with a .45 and it wont kill them if it doesn't hit anything vital.

Plus modern projectile and load science make 9mm and .45acp pretty close ballistically, when you're using a quality JHP with the right load behind it.

For an all in one .45 though.... I'd look into the H&K USP .45 Compact. If that's out of your budget, The Glock 30S or 30SF is an awesome gun, as well as the S&W M&P45c with an APEX trigger.

I would be in the fetal position after 1 hit with a 45. Lol

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

:+1:
    You have addressed a couple of good points which often get overlooked. Better bullet design has become a great equalizer between calibers. I can remember the time when I would have felt underprepared relying on a 9, but that gap has closed. That doesn't mean that I don't take comfort in one of those big flying ashtrays standing between me and the forces of evil, but I am still aware that a 9 with good ammunition will get the job done quite nicely.

The other point you raised by implication is that we tend to learn something once which can best be described as a conditional truth and tend to hold to it long past the point at which the conditions have changed and it therefore is no longer truth. In my reckoning, that is one of the nicer things about INGO is that when one actively participates, there is a steady stream of current information available which does much to prevent this mindset from taking root and staying in place unabated.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    :+1:
    You have addressed a couple of good points which often get overlooked. Better bullet design has become a great equalizer between calibers. I can remember the time when I would have felt underprepared relying on a 9, but that gap has closed. That doesn't mean that I don't take comfort in one of those big flying ashtrays standing between me and the forces of evil, but I am still aware that a 9 with good ammunition will get the job done quite nicely.

The other point you raised by implication is that we tend to learn something once which can best be described as a conditional truth and tend to hold to it long past the point at which the conditions have changed and it therefore is no longer truth. In my reckoning, that is one of the nicer things about INGO is that when one actively participates, there is a steady stream of current information available which does much to prevent this mindset from taking root and staying in place unabated.

You and I think alike my good sir.

Another aspect that a lot of unexperienced (when it comes to a defensive shooting), unless it is a direct head or spinal cord shot, or a direct heart shot, someone will continue to fight until they bleed out or their lungs fill with blood and the asphyxiate. When a gun fight is in progress, you'll feel the hit, but it won't hurt like it will later. .22, 9mm, .45acp, or 308, unless you're hit in a very vital spot that kills on entry, that threat will always still be a threat until theres no more blood circulating to that brain.

I'm not exaggerating when I said someone can take 15 shots of 45 and still keep fighting, I've seen it. I've seen and helped an individual who was on the receiving end of a 2 shot 5.56/.223 gut shot, where his intestines were the only thing keeping the blood from spilling out his body (because they were bulged out his back) and we all know the energy of a .223 vs a .45acp.

Placement is placement, a bullet is a bullet, whether it weighs 94gr or 220gr and goes 850fps or 3250fps. Unless a crazed assailant that means to kill you is hit in "drop spot," he'll still try to kill you.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No No No! Stop with the "ballistic comparisons". OP needs to buy another gun! I say 1911. Come on you know you need it.

OP I am trying to help you out here. Don't listen to those other guys they are jealous because our bullets are bigger so they over compensate with capacity. :)

Shawn156

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2014
    Indiana
    I'd look at the Sig or Ruger 1911. I have held both and shot a Ruger 1911 and I was impressed with the way the Ruger shot.I liked how the Sig as well,but haven't had a chance to shoot a Sig 1911.

WebHobbit

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    Spencer County
    Whatever gun you're currently used to shooting, but in a different caliber. If you carry M&P9, go M&P...if you carry a Glock 19, go G21 or G30.

Yeah but this just isn't so with the .45. For example I carry an XDm 9mm. The .40 and 9mm XDm shares the EXACT same grip dimensions....but the .45 version is LARGER/THICKER. In fact the older designed XD .45 magazines are 100 compaitible with the new XDm in that caliber whereas the .40 and 9mms are not. SA simply could not chisle anything away from the .45 and retain the capacity they wanted in .45. THAT is the problem with the .45 the round is so fat there is no way to get a nice slim/svelte grip unless one goes to a single stack option. This of-course matters not to guys with big/average hand size....but if ya have short little fingers like mine it does. :xmad:

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    I'd look at the Sig or Ruger 1911. I have held both and shot a Ruger 1911 and I was impressed with the way the Ruger shot.I liked how the Sig as well,but haven't had a chance to shoot a Sig 1911.
    Don't know what area of the state you are in. If ever around Warsaw be glad to let you shoot a Sig and the Ruger back too back.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Why not consider a CZ, or a clone thereof.
    I am very happy with my EAA Witness in .45acp with the "Wonder Finish".
    It's a clone of the CZ75, and I think it has the most ergonomic grip of any pistol I've held.

Top Bottom