• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    Tax check is in and I'm looking for a new gun.

I would like a folding or breakdown combo gun (.22lr/.410) to add into my hiking gear. The perfect example is the Springfield M6 survival rifle.

I don't see any company that offers what I think would be a completely marketable product. The only one I've found is Marble's Game Getter at $2,000. (Wow. Just wow - really?)

I don't want to spend a fortune (would like to stay under $300).

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that is making this style of gun?

Or a good place to source a used Springfield M6?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Savage does not make them anymore but you need the savage model 24.

They did make a camper version with stock bullet storage called the camper but they comand a premium now if you could find one.

At 300 it is not going to look good but will still work 500 would get you a pretty one.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    If you can't find exactly what you want, perhaps a Rossi Matched Pair youth sized combo would work? I'm posting a link to their .22/.410 stainless steal combo.

Cathy's got a .22/20 guage blued combo. The .22 is plenty accurate, though not a match gun by any stretch of the imagination, and the 20g barrel has bagged some squirrels for her. One neat thing about it is that you can take both barrels off, and store the whole think in the soft nylon case that comes with the gun. The shoulder strap for the case also makes a nifty sling for the gun. I will say that with the 20g, we find it much prefereable to shoot with a $15 slip on recoil pad. Being youth sized and weighing next to nothing, the plain stock gets your attention with the shotgun rounds. Probably wouldn't be so bad with .410s. This little gun is part of the survival pack we put in the baggage compartment of the Cessnas when we go flying. When packed, it measures about 24"x7".

Rossi USA=

001-6.jpg

mcshaker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    If you can't find exactly what you want, perhaps a Rossi Matched Pair youth sized combo would work?

I was so focused on breakdown and folding that I never even thought about this sort of thing. I think this might be perfect. Found one under $200 first search.

Thanks for the photo it really helped to show the size of the package.

hickuleas

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    deep in the woods
    The M6 Scout is a great little gun. I collect these and follow them for sale mainly on Gunbroker. The demand is high for them especially in stainless steel. If you keep looking you will find one parkerized or black matte for around $400.00 22lr/410. Stainless are bringing around a hundred to 150 more. These were made in several 22 variations, I prefer the 22 hornet. I have also found a few by just using a search engine. Also the original ones produced for the commercial market do not have a trigger guard. then later due to liability they added the guard. Earlier models will have Springfield Armory on side of receiver. Then SA licensed them out to CZ and those will be marked as such. One other note the triggers are different as you squeeze up to fire, not by pulling a trigger rearward. Keep looking until you find a M6 you will be glad you did.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Being a backpacker myself, I feel your pain. Thing is, nobody currently makes one, except the Savage .22/.410 or .22/20 ga. over/under. Yeah, it's a takedown model, [I think], but WAY too heavy and $400. plus or so. The Marbles you referenced would be perfect, if somebody would make a copy and price it reasonable. I'm thinking I see about $200. worth of gun there. Wood box or not.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    One of the Folding Kel-Tecs would be fun...
    s2kcase2.jpg

s2kcase1.jpg

1008126.jpg

1008129.jpg
    That is really cool. It looks like the barrel folds in one and the stock folds in the other. If the concept was to make it compact why not make one that allows both? I'm just curious if that is a result of a legal, production cost or mechanical constraint or just not practical?

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I have an M6 scout. I keep it for fun, but its not my go to carry when I go for a hike. The Savage 24 might be heavy and for shorter hikes would be my choice. For me, the switch barrel on the Handi-rifle or Rossi would get my vote if I had to have the two options. For me I would opt for a .22 pistol and a single barrel survivor type "snakecharmer" 410s.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    If you want to go cheap, why not just buy an old single shot 12,20,or .410 and cut it down? Cut the stock some, and barrel, just make sure it is the regulation 18" bbl and 28" overall. A .410 without the choke can also shoot .45 long I think. I have been wanting to make one of these for the same purpose for awhile, but im kinda nuts like that.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Tax check is in and I'm looking for a new gun.

I would like a folding or breakdown combo gun (.22lr/.410) to add into my hiking gear. The perfect example is the Springfield M6 survival rifle.

I don't see any company that offers what I think would be a completely marketable product. The only one I've found is Marble's Game Getter at $2,000. (Wow. Just wow - really?)

I don't want to spend a fortune (would like to stay under $300).

Does anyone know of a manufacturer that is making this style of gun?

Or a good place to source a used Springfield M6?

Are you going back packing when there is any thing in season to hunt? If so what are you going to hunt? I'd rather have an extra bottle of clean water than a 410 barrel on about any hike I've ever been on.

Top Bottom