• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    I am interested in finding someone close to NWI that wouldn't mind helping me with a little casting.

I don't have any equipment yet, but I will get my own mold and lead when the time comes. I would like to only make a couple dozen or so 12 gauge slugs at first to use for load testing. If I have success I will be looking into my own equipment, or if said mentor enjoys my company, reimbursement can be arranged for more use of your equipment.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    Get the Cast bullet handbook from Lyman. Two safety rules you never wanna break.
    1...Don't breath the lead fumes
    2...Don't spill hot lead in your lap

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Lead doesn't produce any fumes of consequence till the melt temp gets to 1100 degrees. Fumes from lead are way over exaggerated. I've been casting for over 40 years, my blood levels are in the 4 to 6 range. I have my blood tested 3 times a year at present.

The smoke present from casting is not from lead, its burn off from containments and flux, stinks to high Heaven but harmful?????????

In winter I even cast in an enclosed room.

Beware of indoor ranges and the fumes from primers. Beware of the dust from tumbling brass, its loaded with lead from the primers again. Beware of fine dust from sweeping the floor at indoor ranges.

When casting- NO EATING, NO SMOKING, WASH HANDS WHEN DONE.

BTW A melt temp of 1100 degrees is way to hot to cast with, if for no other reason than it would take forever for the cast bullet to harden. Normal melt temp for casting is approx. 800 degrees.

ray d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    I am in NWI and cast 00 buck and slugs.pm me and I will try to help.Ray Duensing

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    CAST OVER 750 WILL WILL CAUSE A SLEW OF PROBLEMS MOST CASTER CAST AT 700 TO 705 THE GENTLEMAN EARLIER SAID LEAD MELTS AT 800 I DON'T KNOW WHERE HE GETS HIS LEAD FROM ALL I HAVE EVERY USED MELTS AT AROUND 625 TO 635 AND CAST AT 700 WELL THE ALLOY IT SELF IS IN IMPORTANT ITSELF AND YOUR ALLOY MIX MUST MACH YOUR MOLDS IF YOUR MOLD IS MADE TU USE WW LEAD AN YOU USE A 92% 6% 2% MIX YOUR BULLETS WILL BE TO LIGHT OR TO HEAVE

GET A GOOD BOOK ON CASTING AND READ IT
    WILL BE GLADE TO HELP ANY TIME I CAN

THANKS
    DAVE
    INDIANA BULLET CO

:twocents::twocents:

Dave, I did not say or claim that lead melts at 800 degrees.

What I said was
    Normal melt temp for casting is approx. 800 degrees.
    the word "melt" meaning the melted lead in the pot or the alloy metal that is melted. The word "melt" is used usually in the term of any melted metal.

You are correct with the tematures you state as being the temps that lead and the alloys bullet casters usually use melt at.

Again, lead does not fume, call it vapor if you wish, to any extent till the temp gets to 1100 degrees, and even then the fumes to not go high above the "melt", there's that word again, as lead being heavy, whether in the metallic state or in the vapor state, it heads for the floor.

CAST OVER 750 WILL WILL CAUSE A SLEW OF PROBLEMS MOST CASTER CAST AT 700 TO 705

Please enlighten the rest of us as to what the "SLEW" of problems may be.

THE ALLOY IT SELF IS IN IMPORTANT ITSELF AND YOUR ALLOY MIX MUST MACH YOUR MOLDS IF YOUR MOLD IS MADE TU USE WW LEAD AN YOU USE A 92% 6% 2% MIX YOUR BULLETS WILL BE TO LIGHT OR TO HEAVE

Please explain this statement in more detail. You are saying that there molds made to use only a certain alloy?

Last edited:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I don't know if the smoke carries lead or oxides of lead but I still avoid it. Call me paranoid if you
    must. I always cast if a well ventilated area.

Top Bottom