• ...and so much more!
  • bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    Look at Slickguns.com under rifles 223/556cal and there is quite a few cheaply priced ones - there is also a ad for 10 under $500 - might be worth checking

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I am pretty sure I have seen an entry level AR under $500 at Rural King. I think there is a thread someone started about it and it was a decent enough weapon for the price.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    There is a new shop on US 40 west of Greenfield closer to Well's nursery. They were talking to me about it when I was there, it was $450. Errr they said they were getting some more in but did not have them in person for me to look at, that day.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I just want to say, You get what you pay for. Don't buy a cheap AR then complain when it turns out to be a total pos. Also the ruger5.56 is a pos in my opinion. Bad machining and poor design. Also I'd stay away from psa unless it's their premium line. On their lowers people are buying them like they are going out of style. The market is flooded with them so they will not be worth anything resale wise.

Hjarnett

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Denver,in
    Thanks guys I'm wanting a cheap one to upgrade and play with over time in the past I had a bushmaster carbon 15 that I really didn't care for and a diamondback db15 that was hands down one of the best I have shot but had a brain fart and sold it I'm going to call around tomorrow to see what I can find

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    One thing to keep in mind is that a cheap off the shelf AR may not be fully milspec which could limit you in the long run and cost more overall. If you are planning on upgrading parts over time, a build kit may in the end wind up costing you less money because the parts are fully interchangeable and resalable to others building an AR.

Just as an example, this off the shelf AR fits your price point but is it the best deal for $500? Is it truly milspec?
    American Tactical Imports Omni Hybrid AR-15 Semi Auto .223/5.56 Rifle ATIGOMNIHA556 : RK Guns

The advantage of buying a complete gun package from a manufacturer over a built kit is that it comes with a manufacturer's sticker, reputation and warranty. I know a number of people with M&P AR-15 sports who have no intention of upgrading. They add a rail kit and optics and they're happy. Trigger Time mentioned the Ruger AR-556 (which I own one) and it's been a great gun for me so far. Do I intend to upgrade it beyond rails and optics? No. As a package though, it's just fine and if I ever resell it, I'd sell it as a complete gun.

That being said, it really depends on what you intend to do with the gun over time. If you're planning to upgrade the upper, lower, furniture over time - building one may be the best route for you. If you're looking for your first AR and then later on down the road building your own AR, an off the shelf gun may be a better choice to get familiar with the AR platform.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Another option might be to build your own. Midway, for example, has a fully assembled upper below $300 and a lower and an LPK for $59 each. That puts you at 420, plus shipping.

Just a thought.

Blessings,
    Bill

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    I have had ZERO problems out of 4 PSA rifles I have owned. Everyone of them ran and shot like my Colts.

I would be comfortable with either the Freedom and Premium uppers. The Freedom can be built for right at $500 if you buy the parts on sale.

Top Bottom