• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I just put a Leupold Vari-X II 1-4x 20mm on a 77/44 Ruger. Bought it from Midway. It wasn't cheap, but it didn't cost an arm and a leg either.
    We've put several rounds thru it since, and we're satisfied with it.
    Will probably never need 4x in the deer woods, but it's there.
    It's real clear and has a good field of view. I don't remember the specs on that though.
    Has a standard duplex reticle.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I use a Simmons 2 1/2X shotgun scope. Small light and clear.
    44_Marlin_1894.jpg
    63B Weaver base and low rings...........:@ya:....Duce<><

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    DSC03067.jpg

Here is my attempt at a Brookland Scout Rifle. This is my stillhunting setup. 44 Mag 8 shot, 16 1/4 inch barrel, XS scout scope mount skinner low pro backup ghost ring and leopold 2.75 scout scope. I can get touching shots at 50 yards and 1.5 inch groups at 100 off the bench with handloads or winchester white box.

Scout scopes are not for everyone. You shoot it like a shotgun with both eyes open. It is not a benchrest setup. 100 yards even more it is perfect on moving deer.

Believe it or not NC star makes a cheap version of a scout scope the is 2-7 power and has been used on 1894's very well. I went with a better scope. 50 dollars instead of 275 for the leopold.

If you want to check it out get with me and will shoot it.

The leopold ultralight is fine with 20mm objective but all 20mm objective scopes are hard to find the crosshairs in very low light conditions in heavy woods at the very first and last of hunting light. I think it might lose you 5 total minutes of shooting light a day. I loose the same 5 minutes maybe a little more with the scout scoipe.

Redfield make a 2-7 X 33 and I have setup many 1894's with this scope. 33mm makes a better low light and you still have the low end power of 2 which I prefer for deer hunting. Yet if in a treestand you can crank it up to 7 power. They do not look as good as the ultralight leopold.. The redfields I bought were 139 plus shipping so they were a good choice for the money with a lifetime warranty.

An illuminated rectical low power scope might fit and I believe Weaver makes one that cost more than 400 but is like 30 mm and 1.5 to 6 power with an illuminated dot. This might be about perfect as far as looks, low light, Light weight and high end power with low end running shots still ok.
    The cost would have been about the same on my setup in hind sight.
    Weaver 1.5-6x24 Super Slam 30mm Rifle Scope

Top Bottom