• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JKEdge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indy
    Last year was my first year hunting for deer. I currently have a Remington 870 with a stock barrel so I will be using rifled slugs (Remington Sluggers). This summer I put some rounds through it so I could get a feel for the accuracy of it. I really don't like the unpredictability of these rounds. High right, low right, etc...If I am going to be out there I want to make sure I drop what I'm shooting at. So I am possibly in the market for a hunting rifle but am still an amateur at this so wanted to get some opinions out there. I can't go nuts on a new gun...maybe under $500.

I've read a good 30/30 or 30-06 are good tried and true guns but also read that more calibers are going to be open for use coming up. A friend of mine just picked up a Ruger American .308 which looks like a really nice gun for the price. Thanks!

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    If you're hunting Indiana, neither the .30-30 nor the .30-06 are legal here. I use .44Mag for most of my deer hunting. Mine is Ruger 77/44 but that's about $150 outside your price range, without glass even. With your price limit, I'd be looking at one of the single-shot, break-open .44Mags like the Rossi.

However, your most economical choice would be to get a replacement slug barrel for the 870. A rifled barrel will let you use sabot slugs instead of the Fosters you're using in the smooth bore. A good sabot shell will shoot MUCH more predictably.

sonovasailor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    southport
    I purchased a H&R Handy Rifle for both of my grandsons. (9 and 11 yrs old) Both have harvested deer with them. My 9yr old took a doe with a double lung shot at 105 yards. They are crazy accurate and affordable. Under $300. I spent $750 for a Thompson G2 with a MGM .44 Mag barrel. It doesn't do any better than the Handy Rifle. Just sayn

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've read a good 30/30 or 30-06 are good tried and true guns but also read that more calibers are going to be open for use coming up. A friend of mine just picked up a Ruger American .308 which looks like a really nice gun for the price. Thanks!

And the $200 NFA tax is going to go away

I highly doubt the proposal for calibers is going to be opened up for everything.

As per the amount you want to spend, Brewer made a very good point, look into a rifled barrel and shoot sabot slugs.

Or, a single shot H&R, Rossi, and I've heard good things about the CVA single shots.

JKEdge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indy
    I'm not against getting a slug barrel either. If I do get one should I stick with the Remington brand? Would it be best to put a scope on it or iron sights?

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    Irons or scope is personal preference and kind of depends on your eyes.

Post-40, scopes are becoming a requirement for me, but I don't have one on my 870 barrel. I knew I didn't want to use the 870 forever because it's relatively heavy and rattley. So instead of buying a scope, I saved that money for the upgrade to the 77/44 the next year.

llamant

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2010
    My 870 never seemed to like Remington slugs. Tried Remington, Federal, an off brand (I'd never heard of), and Winchester. Federal were better than the Remington, but Winchester worked best...in a Remington...go figure. Might want to try some different brands of ammo before switching guns.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    We have 2 870s with a rifled barrel that shoot very accurately with the Sabot slugs.

Having said that, it was hard for me to keep the 12-gauge, plus the weight of the scope, completely steady for a longer shot (unless I was in a place to use a shooting stick).

I bought a single-shot .44 to get a lighterweight deer gun for a low price. I put an inexpensive red-dot scope on it (but may switch to magnified as my eyes are getting worse).

JKEdge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Indy
    We have 2 870s with a rifled barrel that shoot very accurately with the Sabot slugs.

Having said that, it was hard for me to keep the 12-gauge, plus the weight of the scope, completely steady for a longer shot (unless I was in a place to use a shooting stick).

I bought a single-shot .44 to get a lighterweight deer gun for a low price. I put an inexpensive red-dot scope on it (but may switch to magnified as my eyes are getting worse).

I'm now starting to look at this as well. So many options :)

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    If I'm not mistaken they passed the law?

That's what I heard too.

Wrong! Not passed, preliminary passed. There is a mandatory public input period (hasn't started), then the general assembly will have to pass it. I wonder how many people are going to get pinched for hunting with illegal equipment this year because "they heard" it was legal, instead of reading the regs. There is however, a high likelihood of it passing for next year's season.
    Like the others have said, Id try to get by with what you have, or maybe upgrade to a rifled slug barrel for this year, then see what happens.

Last edited:

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I would recommend a single shot 44 mag. Much more fun to shoot than the 870 with slugs and you will save lots $$ in ammo costs.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a Remington 870 and it doesn't like Remington slugs! I used Brenneke Rottweil for many years and they were the most accurate rifled slug I found for my 870.
    rottweil_brenneke_cl_mag_12-70_02.jpg

Home

I recently bought a rifled barrel and use Hornady SST Slugs at 300 Gr and I really like these! (Longer range and less drop)

Butternut

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    SouthWestern Louisiana
    The CVA Scout in 44 mag is an impressive little rifle and comes with rings. Sticker shock is around $200. And its plenty accurate with cast or jacketed. 44 spl shoots like 22 shorts and about that loud.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I'm not against getting a slug barrel either. If I do get one should I stick with the Remington brand? Would it be best to put a scope on it or iron sights?

Mossberg makes some nice barrels. And they dont limit themselves to their own brand. I like mine for my 500...

Mossberg Slug Barrel Remington 870 Special Purpose 12 Ga 3 24 Rifled

And the nice thing is since the scope mount is attached to the barrel, once you zero your scope, its zeroed. You can remove the barrel for rabbit, squirrel, trap, etc and you dont have to worry about re-sighting it when you switch back to slugs. :rockwoot:

Huh? My search finds nothing on this. Got a link?

Note: Purple text on INGO=sarcasm.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I think your smartest move would be to spring for a decent USED muzzle loader. You can hunt the ML season, gun season and the special antlerless with it.
    Next year you can start shopping for the high dollar gun, a bit more educated to what the new regs may be.
    Or maybe realize, the same as a lot of us have, that the ML is really all you need.

Top Bottom