• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    I've recently been looking for a edc knife and just wanted to see what some recomendations might be since I'm fairly novice with knives.

some things I've seen that I like are:

assisted open-- prefered
    pocket clip
    3.25" - 4" blade
    tanto blade
    serrated
    all black
    under $150

some knives I've seen like this include:

Ka-Bar G10 Mule Tanto, serrated
    Kershaw Blur tactical, tanto blade, combo edge
    SOG Aegis tanto, serrated, black TiNi
    SOG Flash II Tanto- Partially Serr Black TiNi

Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.

G19ccer

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Peru
    I just recently got a Kershaw Blur Tanto. I would highly recommend it. It is affordable, sturdy, and is great for every task it's faced so far. I did flip the pocket clip on it so my thumb is on the stud when I pull it out of my front right pocket.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Just curious why do you want an assited opening knife instead of a regular manual opening?
    I have manual opening knives that are just as fast as automatic knives.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I carry a CRKT Hissatsu folder. It fits almost all your requirements its just not serrated. And if you travel to a state that doesnt allow assisted openers the spring can be removed and replaced easily.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    There a lot of knives I would recommend. But if you plan on using it everyday I would recommend going with a plain edge over a serrated blade because they are a ton easier to get sharpened.

Kershaw, Zero Tolerance, and Spyderco would all have a ton that would foot the bill. Just get with Brad (Brad's Knives) and he could definitely hook you up with anything you need.

Twingram

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Blackford County
    +1 on spyderco and Kershaw. I dig em because they are affordable and effective edc's. I carry a kershaw skyline every day and its never let me down. Its cheap enough to not care about actually using it.

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    Just curious why do you want an assited opening knife instead of a regular manual opening?
    I have manual opening knives that are just as fast as automatic knives.

Idk why exactly. Maybe just the "coolness", maybe bc its even more effortless than a non assisted blade. Not really sure to be honest but I had a friend that had it on his knife and I liked it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneBadV8
    There a lot of knives I would recommend. But if you plan on using it everyday I would recommend going with a plain edge over a serrated blade because they are a ton easier to get sharpened.

Kershaw, Zero Tolerance, and Spyderco would all have a ton that would foot the bill. Just get with Brad (Brad's Knives) and he could definitely hook you up with anything you need. Quote:

Totally agree with it being easier to sharpen but I just like the way the serrated blade looks compared to a plain blade. Like I said I'm very novice with knives and whats more functional for everyday use ect. I do like the look of it better just like I like the all black look.

Last edited:

Shoots4Fun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    74   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I like my Sog Tanto Trident. I wish the scales were G10 but overall it opens fast, stays sharp and fits my hand well. I also prefer now serrated blades, but it's going to be your knife...

picture.php

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I just had the same journey, with the criteria that my knife was plain edge, easy to sharpen and made in the US. In a fantastic trade, I just received a Kershaw Blackout 1550. It's an assisted opener, 3.5" blade, weighs under 4 oz., has a pocket clip, etc. Don't rule out the Kershaw Blackout series, it has a version that meets your criteria (and they retail around $50-$60.) I'm very pleased.

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    I would recommend going with a plain edge over a serrated blade because they are a ton easier to get sharpened.

Totally agree with OBV8 on this. Smooth edge for everyday use unless you just enjoy filing on a knife.

In general, Kershaw is my favorite brand given the quality to affordability ratio. I have the Kershaw Blur. It opens hard and fast and feels good in your hand. Very attractive knife too.

daspurlock

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    I carried a case sod buster jr for years only reason i stoped was i lost it. Bought a new kershaw nice but it's not a case. Recent trip to gun range I found my sod buster :):. So far I still carry the kershaw just because it has a pocket clip, haven't had issue with it sliding out of my pocket.

Top Bottom