• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nascar6829

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    I have an old German Mauser that i inherited a few years ago. I would like to find a good gunsmith preferably in south central Indiana. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I'm not looking for a complete restoration but I would like to have the barrel worked on. I found some rust halfway down the barrel. I think it wasn't cleaned after the last time it was shot some 20 yrs. ago or maybe more.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I'm sure you will find a gunsmith, but a rusty barrel equals a barrel replacement. There is little a gunsmith can do, to "work on" a rusty barrel.

I just replaced the barrel on my Argentine Mauser with a Brownells/Wilson short chambered 30.06 military contour barrel. I did it for just under 300 bucks. I knew I had to replace the barrel when I pushed a .310 lead bullet through the bore and it went through really easy about halfway through. That and it shot 5 inch groups at 25 yards...

Aside from the rifles sentimental value, you could spend more than it is worth. I made the decision on mine because I wanted another scout bolt gun and all I had to start with was the barreled receiver.

I don't know if they have 8mm military contour barrels... I'm sure somebody must make them though.

Good luck.

Last edited:

nascar6829

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks

Thanks guys. I hate to have to replace the barrell. I never plan on firing the weapon. I just want it to be a conversation piece but I also don't want it rusting through over time. I was hoping to keep it as original as possible. I guess I just need to contact one of the many gunsmiths you guys provided and weigh my options. Thanks again

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    If you are worried about the barrel rusting through, that will take years. To stableize things, scrub it well with soap and water, preferably hot, dry well. Then coat well with your favorite oil/grease, I would suggest Rig....:@ya:....Duce<><

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    A good oiling should do the trick. If you aren't firing it and it will just be sitting there, just run an oiled patch down it every once in a while. If it is stored inside though, you won't have to worry about it rusting through.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Sounds good, any advice on how to clean or stop the rust on the inside?

bore brush to get all the rust out w/ some hoppes clp and wd40 (wd really helps rinse the rust out once you scrub it loose.... follow all this w/ patches til them come out white, then run an oily patch down the bore if you are not going to shoot for a while. if you are NEVER going to shoot and its just a convo piece, run a patch w/ RIG down the bore. rig is Rust Inhibiting Grease. just be sure to clean it out before you shoot the gun.

nascar6829

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2011
    Thanks for all the advice. I love to shoot and know how to tear down and clean but that is the extent of my knowledge of firearms. I never have been good at getting myself out of messes like this on my own.
    My wifes God-father willed this to me. He always said that I could shoot it. I have had it for about 3 yrs. now and only cleaned it once. I need to try these different techniques you guys offered. I had always wanted this rifle so bad I could taste it but after he passed and it became mine, it just wasn't the same. Didn't even know I was to get it until the day he passed. I have thought about firing a couple of rounds from time to time but it will probably just be a conversation piece to pass down someday.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    noah.richey
    Top Bottom