• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • raggedoutcummins77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2011
    morgantown in
    I am looking for a good case lube I have heard people using wire lube. So if anyone has a good home made lube and don't mind giving me the mixture. I am new to reloading. Thanks for the help

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I am looking for a good case lube I have heard people using wire lube. So if anyone has a good home made lube and don't mind giving me the mixture. I am new to reloading. Thanks for the help
    I have successfully used straight automatic transmission fluid but preferred Hornady One Shot.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Imperial wax is touted to be the best by a large number of people on numerous forums. I've used Hornady one shot, Imperial wax and Lee case lube. All with success. I apply the Lee and imperial with a lube pad and have also done it with just my fingers and either way works. The trick with Hornady One Shot is once you spray the cases you "must" let it dry for about 10 minutes before sizing the cases.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    There are too many good, cheap lubes out there to justify using homemade concoctions.. Besides - if you're buying wire lube, you're still buying something.

I like Lee lube the best, and it's dirt cheap. Other folks have other opinions and they're all valid. I just think you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

Mortblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Pam cooking spray.

no mixing, blending or fussing. Just spray it on.

I have been using it lately for FL resizing 30-06 and .308 cases.

It is much less sticky than many of the commercial ludes and I have had no problems with the big cases sticking in the dies. I also have eliminated preasure dents in the shoulders.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Pam cooking spray.

no mixing, blending or fussing. Just spray it on.

I have been using it lately for FL resizing 30-06 and .308 cases.

It is much less sticky than many of the commercial ludes and I have had no problems with the big cases sticking in the dies. I also have eliminated preasure dents in the shoulders.

If you're getting dented shoulders, you're using too much lube - has nothing to do with the lube itself.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    One old dude told me STP worked. Dad said he used lard....he was a skinflint.
    all good to know if SHTF but as long as I can I'll use a spray can of ONE SHOT. No dents
    or mess to wipe off....

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    Truck on down to WalMart or any department store that sells shoes and ge a tim of Mink oil. It will last you for years if not decades.

Just how cheap do you wish to get?

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    I've read a recipe for the dillon lube made of lanolin and 90% alcohol
    I've also seen this. Dillon lube is $8.95. Goes a long way. I've been known to lube rifle cases in a zip-lock bag. Couple squirts, knead the bag, and lay them out to let the alcohol evaporate. I think Profire has it in stock.

Water63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    West Central IN
    I like the Dillon Lube a bottle last forever. I tried to make it and it just ain't the same for $9 you can do several thousand of cases not worth the effort to try to make it. I also have imperial sizing wax that I got when I started loading back in the early 80's and still have a bunch left. Point is no more than you use it just not worth the trouble to make it.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    There are too many good, cheap lubes out there to justify using homemade concoctions.. Besides - if you're buying wire lube, you're still buying something.

I like Lee lube the best, and it's dirt cheap. Other folks have other opinions and they're all valid. I just think you're trying to reinvent the wheel.

This^^^ +1 for Lee lube. I must be the lucky one who's never stuck a case... knock on wood.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I like the Dillon Lube a bottle last forever. I tried to make it and it just ain't the same for $9 you can do several thousand of cases not worth the effort to try to make it. I also have imperial sizing wax that I got when I started loading back in the early 80's and still have a bunch left. Point is no more than you use it just not worth the trouble to make it.
    I've made my own lube and Water's right, it's just not the same. However, if for some reason you decide you want to try making it yourself, make sure that both the alcohol (I used Heat in the auto section at Walmart) and the lanolin is thoroughly heated. Otherwise the lanolin WON'T stay dissolved.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    What do you mean by homemade? Unless you want to use rendered animal fat, just about anything is going to include a store-bought component.

Here's a good homemade concoction:

Take some Lee Case Lube and mix in a little water to thin it out. Make sure not to use city water - rain or well water only - otherwise the water wouldn't be "home made".

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers

I've made my own lube and Water's right, it's just not the same. However, if for some reason you decide you want to try making it yourself, make sure that both the alcohol (I used Heat in the auto section at Walmart) and the lanolin is thoroughly heated. Otherwise the lanolin WON'T stay dissolved.

Interesting...I never tried to make it myself. I bought my first bottle about 3yrs ago and thought it was easier and much smoother to use than oneshot. Next order I made with Dillon I ordered another bottle, but I'm still using my first. I use a big rubbermaid box dump all the brass in the shake it up for awhile. Works great! I still use Imperial wax on my precision single stage loads just because it's not as messy.

Top Bottom