• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • whiteman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    knee Deep In Mud
    On the search for a good sturdy machete..Any suggestions??

I have been watching some chopping videos that feature ESEE and I like what I see. Just curious what other makers have and what the folks on here use.

Last edited:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The ESEE is a great machete, but is made by Condor. Condor machetes are considerably cheaper. I also really like the Gerber (or Fiskars) Brush Axe and Woodmans Pal.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    My first recommendation is always fiddleback forge machetes. check out andy's work. he buys blanks, regrinds them and then puts his amazing handles on them. by far one of my favorite machetes. A bark river golok would be a hell of a choice if you can find one, for a on the cheap option check out any of the condors. I personally really like the parang.

Fergy35

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NE Corner of our gre
    Yep, Condor makes some really nice machetes. I really want one of their Golok's. Nice heavy blade, good shape, good size and a reasonable price. Their "Latin" style machetes are quite nice too.

I do have one of the Gerber/Fiskars brush axes and it is extremely handy. Seems to hold it's edge well - except for that bottle I didn't see in the thick grass at the bottom of that brush. The hooked blade works well for clipping small branches too.

PwrCruz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    Westside Indy
    Here is a few of mine but the Ontario is the only true machete.
    A Condor golok, Ontario 18"saw back , and a Valiant parang.
    fe20bb89.jpg

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    If you don't know the size you really want, Tramontina is one of the machetes commonly viewed as good but inexpensive. They're dirt cheap and not bad at all.

How about a five-pack for $35?

Tramontina Machete 5 Pack

Rocky, crappy areas I've got a cheap piece of crap plastic handled machete that came from a big box. For everything else actually brushy, it's a Bark River Northwind.

.356luger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    martinsville
    I have an maxe-chete one of my uncles must have built in shop class 50 years ago made out of 1/4 plate steel as far as i can tell that stays in my truck tool box at all times. It's kind like. 2 1/4 on one end and 1 1/4" on the other. The smaller end has the handle. Which makes for great striking force at the head

Guess that makes mine Good ol' boy brand

Rong

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    NE Indiana
    I have used my cold steel machetes hard and have been very pleased. My current favorite is the kukri magnum. It fits a GI sheath and has an excellent balance, regrind the edge a little and for $20 it is a great choice.

Dtrap

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Fiddleback Forge are nice.

The Blind Horse machete is a winner too.

For the price though, Ontarios are great.

I will second any and all of these. I prefer them in the order he listed them as well. Also the Blind Horse comes with a nice factory kydex sheath which the others don't.

BigJ3780

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 18, 2010
    Whatever you do, DO NOT get the $5 one from Harbor freight... I could make a better one out of a coconut.

Top Bottom