• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    As the title implies, I am looking at for a good priced .357 magnum.

Im not brand myopic, so Im open to most suggestions.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Can you further define "good priced"...as that's rather subjective.

Also, a "good price" on a hunting revolver is again a whole other animal from a "good price" on a pocket revolver.

help INGO help you!

-J-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Can you expound a bit? What do you want to do with it? Carry it? If so, occasionally or EDC? Shoot at the range? Hunt? HD?

Some questions like that would help to get you some better responses...

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Can you further define "good priced"...as that's rather subjective.

Also, a "good price" on a hunting revolver is again a whole other animal from a "good price" on a pocket revolver.

help INGO help you!

-J-

400-650 range (more or less, if I could find a gun that was "just right")

I was thinking home defense/ pocket carry

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    I am aware that it is silly to believe that I could find a good revolver for around 4, but I know rossi makes a decent priced .357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    A good "pocket carry" .357 would be the LCR and it's in your price bracket. Very smooth rounded corners. While I don't have one, I have shot my friend's. I think if I were to purchase another .357, I would get it. Still shoot my Model 19 and it's one of my HD guns, though I rarely carry it.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    About the only two that come easily to mind that are .357 and pocket-able are the above-mentioned Ruger SP101 and the Ruger LCR 357.

The SP101 works well for pocket carry if you have large pockets and don't mind a brick in there.

The LCR is "J-frame"-sized and lightweight polymer (minus the strong bits that are steel)

You can also look for S&W J-frame revolvers, but they're spendy. You can find them used in your price range, though.

FutureButterBar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Don't Worry About It
    s&w j-frame or a taurus

if you aren't looking for new, the used market will really open up your options in that price range. just make sure you get a good used one. something to look for is the rod that you use to remove the rounds will sometimes get bent from people slamming the weapon back together all hollywood style

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Ruger SP101. Too heavy for pocket carry, but in a holster you almost forget it's there.

Interestingly... on the topic of the LCR... A buddy of mine just got a S&W Bodyguard. I held it up to my SP101, and the cylinder is long enough for .357... just a touch longer than the cylinder in the SP101 in fact. A hint of things to come? :dunno:

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    I wouldnt mind something I could fit in a IWB holster or a slimline holster. Since fall is approaching, I wouldnt mind something I could CC with under a jacket.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    Since you mention home defense, I'll share this:

I bought this S&W Model 28-2 in .357 Mag, off of Gunbroker for $400 shipped/transferred. It's not pretty but it still shoots gloriously...

Hit the gun shops and keep an eye out for some good used pistols like this.

This would be pretty tough to CC in the spring/summer but like I say, for HD or cool weather carry, it's a pretty nice piece in my opinion...

6113420806_14d37197db_z.jpg

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    For a compact .357 I like my SP101. Another one I like a lot is a Dan Wesson, I picked up a used one on Gunbroker for $300 with an 8' barrel. I later picked up 4" and 6" barrels for it, and they also make 2" and 10" barrels, you can even get a 15" from EGW if you were so inclined. Dan Wessons have a well deserved reputation for accuracy, I have a .44 mag that is easily the most accurate handgun I have ever shot.
    IMG_0602.jpg

Top Bottom